Player Watch #21 Cameron Pedersen - Retired, thanks Cam

Remove this Banner Ad

Overly harsh on Pedo here. He had a s**t game no question but he should not have been selected. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but clearly we needed more pace against the Pies. Frost would have been a much better inclusion for Lever. And if we had our time again you’d trade Bernie for Hunt to give us a bit more pace. Pedo was concussed last week in the VFL and I’m yet to see someone play a decent game the week after a concussion. It’s bad for the players health and it’s bad for the teams chances of winning. It just should not happen but we are as bad a club as any at picking guys the next week after big head knocks.

The amount of times he was just watching the play from a few metres away. His workrate has always been his biggest problem. Time to move on
Really? I feel like the past few years he's worked himself into the ground after he was told at the end of 2013 that they were happy to break his contract. If his workrate has gone down or he can't move himself around the ground, then he'll need to find a second wind or he will be delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First and last I've ever said love you pedo thanks to this man.

All heart the big fella, reckon in another world he could have played 180 games and been a very decent FF. Blokes like Casboult, Ian Perrie, Cam Mcarthy, Josh Walker etc forged out careers I reckon you were a tad unlucky.

Pedo is forever in my heart (but not in my actions) :p

What a servant of the red + blue, a lot of our key wins the past few years have involved the big man. Farewell sweet prince.

I reckon he was underrated and underplayed pretty often. Bashed the door down way more than others, way more consistently and was passed over for others who came in and did pretty crap jobs. Pedersen would have been a better option off half back than a 10-gamer in a prelim in Perth, for example. Unpopular opinion, sure, but there you go.

Cheers, Pedo, came and and gave your absolute best even though, from the outside at least, it wasn't always appreciated by those around you.

Thanks for all your efforts, Cam, if you're reading this thread.

I really feel that Cam deserved far more games than he got. He was passed over for younger players just because they were younger and supposedly more promising. I think there was a lot of mythology in all that. Half the time these younger players were not more talented, and certainly not earning their place above Cam. I think Cam was more talented than many people think. He simply didn't get the luxury of regular games and finding his groove, or even a regular position for that matter. He was used like a handy man who does odd jobs when needed. But I actually think he had more potential than that - it was just a reputation he got when he first arrived and he never shook it. He was no hack, and played some damn fine games.

In any case, he handled himself beautifully - never got bitter about it. Was grateful to be playing AFL footy and contributed to the atmosphere of our rebuild from all I've heard. So congrats to Cam, and all the best in the next phase.

Thanks for all your efforts, Cam, if you're reading this thread.

I really feel that Cam deserved far more games than he got. He was passed over for younger players just because they were younger and supposedly more promising. I think there was a lot of mythology in all that. Half the time these younger players were not more talented, and certainly not earning their place above Cam. I think Cam was more talented than many people think. He simply didn't get the luxury of regular games and finding his groove, or even a regular position for that matter. He was used like a handy man who does odd jobs when needed. But I actually think he had more potential than that - it was just a reputation he got when he first arrived and he never shook it. He was no hack, and played some damn fine games.

In any case, he handled himself beautifully - never got bitter about it. Was grateful to be playing AFL footy and contributed to the atmosphere of our rebuild from all I've heard. So congrats to Cam, and all the best in the next phase.
Agree with this 100%. He always thrived on work. Played his best footy when he was our starting ruck. I think he’s still got good footy left in him which is a shame. He should have played way more games than he has over the last six years. He was tough and an elite overhead grab. It was no coincidence in my mind that we won more often when he was playing.
Another one of my favourites gone. *.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back