AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a lot more fit than last year. He was always on the move today. Was super clean and his marking was right at this best.
When he plays like that he's one of the best mids in the comp. I also liked that he worked hard defensively even though he struggled to keep up with players at times. That dive to put pressure on which ended up in a trip free probably saved a goal.

Brilliant Captains game.

Won critical ball all night - this was his defining trait pre-suspension. Didn't have it last year but looks like the skipper has his mojo back.

Best game since since becoming captain. He will definitely drag others up with him if he plays like that every week.

I haven’t looked at stats but he improved the “big bodied mid” component of his game last night. There were many times he was in and under with Sloane and Crouch making it harder for them. Smith was in there a lot too. Hepp commented after the game how they have worked hard on the contested stuff.

We don’t need to be the best in the comp overnight but if we can be a little stronger in the middle like we were last night the forward line will take us to many wins. Tipping Heppell is going to be super important for us this year. Great game.

he had a good opening game last year too, but not this good. And I think he'll go on with it this year and remind the pleb nation of BigFooty how good he actually is.

Some of that s**t in the Atley thread was hilarious
Yeah he was huge round 1 last year but was very average round 3 against Carlton (and a few other games). Not sure if it was the year out that made it hard for him to be consistent but he needs to bring it week in and out this season.

Yeah he was huge round 1 last year but was very average round 3 against Carlton (and a few other games). Not sure if it was the year out that made it hard for him to be consistent but he needs to bring it week in and out this season.

It came out that he barely trained all year just so he could make it onto the field. Was carrying issues all last yeat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon being out for a year then being named captain probably didn't help.

It definitely wasn't Dyson heppell out there last year. I knew he'd improve a lot this year. Even though it's only been one game the poise that we all know was back.

I think some people are undervaluing his year in 2017. Hit the scoreboard more than he ever had in his career previously, dragged us over the line on a few different occasions particularly late in the year, and the penetration in his kicking was noticeably improved from before the suspension, something that was a feature in his game again last night. Certainly not his best year but I thought he was still excellent.

Early signs this year suggests he's in for a cracking season though. He looks bigger in terms of his size, and yet it looks like he's also a fraction quicker and gliding across the turf like I've never seen before. Can't wait to see his year unfold.

Heppell is a good player, but he is not a midfielder.

Yes, he can snare the ball well in packs, but he does not have the body to take contact and effectively dispose of the ball.

Nor does he have the quick faculties to find people in packs even when he can get a disposal off before body contact arrives.

Also, he is too slow to play an outside midfield role in today's game, and he lacks the attacking instincts of of a midfield/forward.

Which leaves the half back line.... Where he has played his best and most effective footy. There he can take his time and compose himself. There he can take some nice overhead marks - a strength of his. There he can read the play and get some nice handball receives coming through from our midfielders.

I'd give the likes of Saad and McKenna a go on the wings and see if they can give us some impetus in the middle. Heppell doesn't.

Yes, he can snare the ball well in packs, but he does not have the body to take contact and effectively dispose of the ball.

Nor does he have the quick faculties to find people in packs even when he can get a disposal off before body contact arrives.

Also, he is too slow to play an outside midfield role in today's game, and he lacks the attacking instincts of of a midfield/forward.

Which leaves the half back line.... Where he has played his best and most effective footy. There he can take his time and compose himself. There he can take some nice overhead marks - a strength of his. There he can read the play and get some nice handball receives coming through from our midfielders.

I'd give the likes of Saad and McKenna a go on the wings and see if they can give us some impetus in the middle. Heppell doesn't.
LOL

Agree with this. I love the guy, but he simply can't absorb contested pressure.

I know what you're saying, but disagree with this. Their roles make sense, no need to change them.

Can't believe we're singling out Heppell when all the other guys lining up at the bounces today were playing softer than my balls. Bloke does not get any help around the stoppage from our team, not one bit.

Can't believe we're singling out Heppell when all the other guys lining up at the bounces today were playing softer than my balls. Bloke does not get any help around the stoppage from our team, not one bit.
I love the guy and personally, am not singling him out. The team did not play well together and he was not the worst on the ground.

I just think his best brand of footy is off HB where he can use his height and smarts to intercept the ball and then use his reliable leg to setup play and then press forward.

I’m being unfair I admit by comparing him to some of the leagues better inside mids, but for a while now, he just seems to lack the strength required to play his current role.

Happy to be proven wrong and happy to have a civil chat about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back