AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Dyson Heppell

This guy was brilliant today - I lost count of the number of times he got us out of a dicey situation down back. Evades opponents with ease, disposes beautifully most of the time - looks like he'll play every game so long as his body can handle it.

I've changed my opinion and think he will be the best of this draft and ahead of Swallow. Good overhead, good on the ground, smart, great composure. He will be an absolute star.

If there's ever a replica for Pendlebury then we've got it.

The same languid, almost cruising style, yet they have brilliant 360 degree awareness and an excellent sidestep that gets them out of trouble.

Both were very keen junior basketballers as well. Both from Gippsland Power as well.

I've changed my opinion and think he will be the best of this draft and ahead of Swallow. Good overhead, good on the ground, smart, great composure. He will be an absolute star.

yeah me too, i thought he looked vanilla :eek:. (albeit from youtube vids)

I hope he isnt rushed into the midfield, like him to be in defence for a long time.

Cost us a goal.
He swapped men with Fletch, Warnock jogged deep, Heppell half-jogged after him, Warnock got the easy mark in space. Was out on his feet in that first half.

Good second half, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him rested at some point, probably for GC.

Cost us a goal.
He swapped men with Fletch, Warnock jogged deep, Heppell half-jogged after him, Warnock got the easy mark in space. Was out on his feet in that first half.

Good second half, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him rested at some point, probably for GC.

ah is that how it happened? I was screaming about him being free in the pocket, he was there for about 10 seconds

Nah, Walkers man (Hardingham I think) had to pressure Yarran, yarran kicked it to Walker, Fletch made walker go back and Warnock was on his own. Not Heppels fault

Nah, Walkers man (Hardingham I think) had to pressure Yarran, yarran kicked it to Walker, Fletch made walker go back and Warnock was on his own. Not Heppels fault
I've no idea who's man was originally who. In fact I don't care.

Heppell ended up by himself after the mark and half-jogged back to Warnock.
He should've pushed to the contest. He got lost & we were caught out.

I've no idea who's man was originally who. In fact I don't care.

Heppell ended up by himself after the mark and half-jogged back to Warnock.
He should've pushed to the contest. He got lost & we were caught out.
He was 50 meters away. He was pushing, and then realized he wasn't going to make it. If you were watching you would've realized that.

Who cares, really????

Seriously, it is his FIRST SEASON FFS!!

He is bound to make plenty of mistakes like that throughout the year and the good well and truely outweighs the bad so far.

Who cares, really????

Seriously, it is his FIRST SEASON FFS!!

He is bound to make plenty of mistakes like that throughout the year and the good well and truly outweighs the bad so far.

Agree with this. Heppell undoubtedly saved us goals with his excellent play. So he didn't have time to catch up to a giant who would have outmarked him anyway... big deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Care? Not really. But I think it did show that he's playing tired. Would not be surprised to see him rested (or at least subbed off) in rd 6 or 7.

Not the first time an early pick is made out to be faultless/perfect around here and won't be the last.

Yeah for sure. People are always going crazy over such trivial mistakes that every player makes. I suppose thats why some BF heroes will never stop banging on about Stanton and Lonergan etc.

I watched the replay last night and I saw the incident your talking about. You can excuse Dys for being tired because he made the contest on the wing, beat 2 blokes and cleared it mto a contest which we lost and then he got hurt on the rebound.

I dont know if he is tired as in drained and in need of a rest, just getting tired during games because he hasn't got the tank of some others just yet. What better way to build a tank than with genuine match fitness and intesity anyaway!

Dont forget he probably didnt see the bench much throughout the game either, plus he was spending time in the midfield. All this adds up to a fairly acceptable mistake if you ask me!

Yeah Whomb, thats what i ment at the start of my post!!

Fair enough S20, he definatley can work on that and plent of other things.. He's a beauty, cant waith to keep watching his development!

I wasn't saying it was unacceptable at all. I was pointing out it happened and it's something to work on.

I agree, both he and Melksham get lost in the zone at times and it is a concentration factor they both have to improve on.

Some people need the blinkers of for a second and try to understand that being critical of an area is normal, it is nothing against the player.

I just love the way he has slotted in to our team, no frills, like he's been there for years.

My only issue with Heppell thus far has been that he's appeared soft at times. Missed a couple of crucial tackles and seemingly been caught hesitant in a couple of contests, although his outside and evasive work has been impressive.

I know he's just starting out and, as Slatts said, it's just something to work on.

My only issue with Heppell thus far has been that he's appeared soft at times. Missed a couple of crucial tackles and seemingly been caught hesitant in a couple of contests, although his outside and evasive work has been impressive.

I know he's just starting out and, as Slatts said, it's just something to work on.

There is a difference between being soft and lacking strength. Heppell has already shown that he has courage in spades. That aint soft.

I agree that he lacks the physical strength and technique to stick tackles but this will come.

I hope his performances on ANZAC Day and vs GCS has dispelled your theory that Heppell is soft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back