AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get how some players are marked on consistency, and others, not.

Heppell's had about 5 medicore games from 40, and it goes against him.
Bennell's had about 15 meidocre games from 35, and he's better.

Heppell had a much better first season than Bennell.

So yeah, overall Heppell has provided more value to our club than Bennell to GCS.

I still rate Bennell higher based on his skill level and agility (not that Heppell is a mug in either of those areas).

I also don't think Heppells best games have been as good as Bennells best games.

I don't get how some players are marked on consistency, and others, not.

Heppell's had about 5 medicore games from 40, and it goes against him.
Bennell's had about 15 meidocre games from 35, and he's better.

Interesting point, Kongy.

Do you go for the consistently good performer or the guy who is up and down but a damaging match winner when he is on?

Personally I wouldn't swap Heppell for any youngster but Bennell would probably be first picked if I could take one.

Darling for me.

250px-Blackadder_4_captain_darling.jpg

Dice has come in and basically become a pillar of the team, which is why I'd rate him higher than bennell right now.
You forget he's only played 40 odd games most of the time because he's so assured in what he does, he plays like a 150 gamer already.
It's a rare thing to have, and not many are capable of doing in. The only other recent one that is in that level is Cochin for mine (obviously a better player) but they were both playing like seasoned vets when they were still teenagers.

I hate when a thread get hijacked by pointless comparison debates. It is like arguing who was better out of Hird, Voss and Buckley.. the reality is they were all guns/champions and it came down to personal preference who you had on top.

Personally I like Dyson's consistency, but to be fair I have seen more of his games. Having said that.. would I take both of them? You bet I would...

So sorry I made a blanket statement.. irrespective it is fair to say that Heppell is something special and in the top 3 at least for young players in the league if not number 1 (which he is in my opinion)..

I hate when a thread get hijacked by pointless comparison debates. It is like arguing who was better out of Hird, Voss and Buckley..

Hird

Darling is a gun but I reckon Bennell would compliment our team perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good solid player and great start to his career by hep however is very overated by us as supporters
while he makes very good decsions at time and has great awareness
he is a very supect kick and sturglles to kick 40m also needs to build that tank because im not sure if its his running stylke of not but looks very slow out on the ground
in time im sure he will be a great player though as those problems will hopefully be ironed out over time
as for his second in the crichton very weird placing would have had five or six others ahead i hope he continues to work and doesnt get ahead of himself becasue he has a long way to go

Interesting point, Kongy.

Do you go for the consistently good performer or the guy who is up and down but a damaging match winner when he is on?

Personally I wouldn't swap Heppell for any youngster but Bennell would probably be first picked if I could take one.

Would only change one word in that last sentence.

-Bennell
+Darling

good solid player and great start to his career by hep however is very overated by us as supporters
while he makes very good decsions at time and has great awareness
he is a very supect kick and sturglles to kick 40m also needs to build that tank because im not sure if its his running stylke of not but looks very slow out on the ground
in time im sure he will be a great player though as those problems will hopefully be ironed out over time
as for his second in the crichton very weird placing would have had five or six others ahead i hope he continues to work and doesnt get ahead of himself becasue he has a long way to go
Who are you crazy troll man :confused:

Think that EFC has two years to determine Heppell's true position - Inside midfielder,outside midfielder and inside/outside midfielder.

I would go with the latter with an emphasis on the inside - His best midfield games were when he played predominantly on inside midfielders - had trouble with players who had a strong outside game.

Bennell and Darling are tracking towards being elite players - Bennell has that outside/inside game and Darling has many tricks for a young forward.

Along with Heppell they should all have distinguished careers.

Would only change one word in that last sentence.

-Bennell
+Darling

debatable-while Darling has been better up until now and is certainly a dead set gun I think from what weve seen of Bennel at his best he will be in the best few players in the comp within 3-4 years-
Though I guess people said the same thing about Des Headland a few years ago and look what he amounted to

Harley Bennell will be the best player under 186cm in 5 years.
I rate Dyson Heppell higher than anyone on our list, including Jobe as far as importance for the future.

debatable-while Darling has been better up until now and is certainly a dead set gun I think from what weve seen of Bennel at his best he will be in the best few players in the comp within 3-4 years-
Though I guess people said the same thing about Des Headland a few years ago and look what he amounted to

I very much doubt Bennell will ever be that good. Strikes me as being too inconsistent which is the nature of his style of play.

I very much doubt Bennell will ever be that good. Strikes me as being too inconsistent which is the nature of his style of play.
and how do you deduce that?
I know by nature flashy outside players like Bennell are not often noted for their consistency but I think Harley has what is takes-and let us not forget that Harley is only 20 years old so we can expect consistency will come in time.
Having watched quite a lot of GCS over the past 2 years I can profess that he has come a very long way and has shown a lot more than flashes of brilliance-he will be a player all right, and he hasnt been all that inconsistent in any case, averaging 24 touches and a goal over the course of 2012

and how do you deduce that?
I know by nature flashy outside players like Bennell are not often noted for their consistency but I think Harley has what is takes-and let us not forget that Harley is only 20 years old so we can expect consistency will come in time.
Having watched quite a lot of GCS over the past 2 years I can profess that he has come a very long way and has shown a lot more than flashes of brilliance-he will be a player all right, and he hasnt been all that inconsistent in any case, averaging 24 touches and a goal over the course of 2012

How many purely outside players would you say have been consistent?

I can think of one. It's Brett Peake, who was consistently s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back