Last edited by a moderator:

loopy_cam

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 11, 2007
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Re: Dyson Heppell

Quiet last night. Anyone else think that he may not play round one with Hibberd, Hardingham and Dempsey probably ahead of him for a spot in the backline and a number of players ahead for a midfield spot? Although, I only saw the game on TV so wasn't aware of what he was doing defensively last night?

The Fact

Club Legend
May 23, 2009
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Essendon

Looked to be working more on the defensive aspects. Probably a test run to see who's best to fill Henry's role.

This could be very good IMO a lot of the elite and near elite young mid have done a little bit of time tagging some of the elite players of the comp.

MAAAATTDAAAAMON

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2010
NSW
AFL Club
Essendon

Will be interesting to see whether they play him or not. Sub could be a good idea. Ease him into the real stuff. Wouldn't be shattered seeing him play a game or two for Bendigo to start the season off either. May have been a good idea to rest him in the NAB GF, but ah well.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon

Will be interesting to see whether they play him or not. Sub could be a good idea. Ease him into the real stuff. Wouldn't be shattered seeing him play a game or two for Bendigo to start the season off either. May have been a good idea to rest him in the NAB GF, but ah well.
Would be pretty short odds.
They stated even before the NAB cup he'd probably get a run - ie, made that call before even knowing how he'd go.

smcateer

All Australian
Apr 20, 2007
Rockdale, NSW.
AFL Club
Essendon

One good thing to come out of the NAB cup was this which me and a mate stumbled on during some insane screaming:

Dyson Heppell -> Hep D -> The Virus

Kick-arse nickname if you ask me - it's definitely contagious anyway.

Debut

nathan t

Senior List
Jan 24, 2011
AFL Club
GWS

Heppell is set to make his debut this Sunday against the Bulldogs.
He should quickly prove to be a bargain draft pick!
How does everyone think he will go?
My prediction,
Kicks: 9
Handballs: 12
Marks: 4
Tackles: 6
Frees For: 1
Frees Against: 0
Goals: 1
:thumbsu:
Can't wait to see him become a STAR!!

Round 1 Rising Star Nominee

Lotch

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Round 1 Rising star nomination

Link
Essendon youngster Dyson Heppell wins Rising Star nod
Al Paton Herald Sun March 29, 2011 10:29AM
900238-dyson-heppell.jpg

ESSENDON'S near-perfect start to the season has continued with Dyson Heppell named the season's first nominee for the 2011 Rising Star award.

Heppell won the nod ahead of several well-performed debutants at the weekend including Demon Luke Tapscott, Bulldog Tom Liberatore and Eagle Andrew Gaff.

The 18-year-old Bomber collected 20 disposals across half-back in Essendon's big win against the Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

“Dyson is an exceptionally talented footballer who has made a really smooth transition into AFL football," coach James Hird said.
Link

Discussed in other threads as well:

Round 1 Rising Star Nominations - AFL Main board
Dyson Heppell - Round 1 NAB Rising Star - Essendon team board

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers

Just waiting for the No.21 explosion, will rival No.5 and No.32 (Hird/Watson, back in the day) for popularity on kids jumpers. Thank you gold coast, w.coast, briz and richmond. :thumbsu:

Can you imagine if the GC recruiters have got it right though? With all the pre-draft signings and all the picks before Heppell it's scary to think how good they might be in 5 years.

Wish we got Atley as well though.

Why? Heppell is 10 times better, I was never one for the Atley fanclub, I hate blokes with questionable footskills. It is why I am happy we went out and drafted blokes who can kick. Dyson is teh 2nd best player in that draft in my view. Did GC stuff up, yes and no. They have a great player in Caddy anyway and they can afford to punt with Bennell at 2. Brisbane and Richmond are the weird ones though.

Heppell showed how good he was today- was he playing his 2nd game or his 200th?:eek:

You not being part of the fanclub is good enough for me. Atley will be a gun

In your view, I had Atley rated in the low teens in my rankings. He has some good attributes to work with- speed and being a genuine mid. However he does have some drawbacks, including disposal efficiency. Atley will be a solid player, I actually like Bastinac, etc from north more though.

bombers34

Rookie
Apr 7, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I'm still pinching myself we picked up this guy. Seriously, it's unbelievable. It's like had the first pick in the draft. He could be anything, it's so exciting!!!

definately agree Lance,

his marking ability looks just as good as his disposal under pressure reminds me allot of James Hird as he has ability to be calm and collected very impressive.

bombers34

Rookie
Apr 7, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I'm still pinching myself we picked up this guy. Seriously, it's unbelievable. It's like had the first pick in the draft. He could be anything, it's so exciting!!!

:thumbsu:

completely agree with you he is a fantastic kick and mark and reminds me of Hird with how calm and collected he is under pressure with only 2 games under his belt!

Back