AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty ready to put him on the scrapheap which I think is very harsh. This was the first time in his career he’s played less than 18 games. Last year he was obviously hampered but still played through and averaged 26 touches.

He’s always been able to find the footy and I don’t see that changing. I hope he sits down with Rutten, works out the best role for him and the team over the next few years, and works toward that.

I’d he goes amiss again next year then fair enough, but *, I think he’s done enough over the journey to earn a bit of a reprieve for one injured season.

As for the captaincy... well he’s captain for a reason, obviously he was the best leader we had. We don’t exactly have a huge bunch of blokes smashing the captaincy door down, so I’d leave it with him. Some people want McGrath, who is just developing into a very good player. FFS leave him alone for at least one more year.

He was our best midfielder last year, and yes he struggled to get on the park this year, but when fit he's a 25 touch, 4-5 clearance a game midfielder. He's not a "big body" in the traditional sense because he doesn't have the weight behind him but as far as medium inside mids go (thinking of the Jarryd Lyons, Cam Guthrie's of the world) he's right up there with the best of them.

Might transcribe it later if they don't post an article to go with it. Along the lines of "Thanks to all members for your support, difficult year, disappointing, win loss record, but united, with the support of Rutten, driven, determined, even higher standards for next year." Plus a bit of behind the scenes footage.

Oh and expects to lead us again next year. Which is fine. Get your foot right Hep!

It's good to get a message and yeah it's scripted but not going to fault them for it, mainly because it doesn't matter what they say anymore. We'd be annoyed regardless, so just do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good to get a message and yeah it's scripted but not going to fault them for it, mainly because it doesn't matter what they say anymore. We'd be annoyed regardless, so just do it.
Yeah it's scripted. He also posted on instagram as did Zerk, though that looks less 'on message'.

The thing is, the words imply a level of confidence that is not currently in evidence beyond the four walls of the club. So is this a fake it til you make it PR strategy, trying to stave off a board challenge, or do they know something that gives them the confidence to make bold statements about the commitment and unity of the group?

Yeah it's scripted. He also posted on instagram as did Zerk, though that looks less 'on message'.

The thing is, the words imply a level of confidence that is not currently in evidence beyond the four walls of the club. So is this a fake it til you make it PR strategy, trying to stave off a board challenge, or do they know something that gives them the confidence to make bold statements about the commitment and unity of the group?
I'd say it's a little of both, except the second part is they think something rather than know something. I don't get the impression they know anything yet.

Hepps should show proper leadership and stand down.
Merrett was a great leader in a s**t year and stood up.
Appoint Merritt captain now, let Hepps at least earn a game.

This club is seriously piss poor at communication (not blaming Heppell, that’s obviously been written for him).

Who is doing this stuff? They have no idea. Absolutely phoning it in.

We need a shake up in many areas and communication is a big one imo.
Although I would say what has come out in the last week or two has been a major improvement on the previous several months and/or years.

Showed last year he is a good captain and player...dragged us into the finals last year on one foot..do people forget how much he was missed and then came back for crucial Freo game? Has a year of bad luck with injury and everyone seems willing to dump it on him. Ridiculous

Showed last year he is a good captain and player...dragged us into the finals last year on one foot..do people forget how much he was missed and then came back for crucial Freo game? Has a year of bad luck with injury and everyone seems willing to dump it on him. Ridiculous

People are just frustrated.

Do I think Hep should be traded? No. But I get why people are frustrated.

Hep has done some great things as a player, but he's has been a very lackluster captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back