Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 27, Highly Evolved

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 21, 2007
home or work
AFL Club
Essendon
Re: National Draft Selection #8 - Dyson Heppell

Pretty happy with Heppell, but must say not to happy with the rest, can not believe we didn't take Parker at 31 considering he was still there that was a big miss! Guess time will tell to see what our 2010 nab draft strike rate is! Welcome to Essendon Dyson Heppell :thumbsu:

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ

What are you basing this on? He came 2nd in the handball drill but you keep on refering to his footskills.

Im gonna reserve judgment on him till ive seen him play up close a few times but my initial thoughts are
he wont be a midfielder or at least an elite mid at AFL level. Doesnt seem to win a lot of his own ball so i think most likely will stay as a back flanker which fills a need for us so not really fussed about the selction.

I don't mean to offend you chicken man, but I'm going too any way..that is such a negative piece of ###t post my friend.

Who the #### do you think you are saying he won't be a midfielder?

So many people on this board are obsessed with the ####ing word midfielder!

So look at it like this..(and if you're not happy after that you should seek professional help)..

We need smart players. We need smart young players from the draft who have great awareness on a footy field and ones who can quickly adapt to the pace and the quick decision making that's required at League level.

Don't you realise how hard it is to find elite junior players who dominate half-backlines? Players who have the footy brain, the courage and the skill ,to constantly go for contested marks against tall forwards?

This kid is a sensational gain for us imo. Couldn't be happier with the selection.

He's a Victorian country boy, he's an Essendon supporter, his credentials are supurb. We are lucky to have such a low pick and get a kid like this.

We got ourselves a premium young footballer who is one of the best in the country. Captain material at youth elite level, All Australian....what more do you want FFS?

Instead of gettin all sad because you believe we could have gotton someone 'better', just focus on what we have got, not what we haven't goy.

I'm telling you, a tall dominate, skillfull, smart half backer at U16s level is so hard to find. Two years later at 18 years old ,one is in the top 10 draft and we gain a player who can work with Pears,Hurley, Hooker and Co and hopefully become a star player for us.

And yes maybe later move into the MF..:)

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton

Brisbane were supposedly set on this kid at 5 for a while, but a few factors led them to pick up Polec (ready made, been playing against men in SANFL) over him; was understood to be a very tough decision.

Doesn't seem to be a pacy HBF'er, but his kicking skills look a treat and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Good luck to him. :thumbsu:

I've seen him play i think he has Sam Fisher written all over him. I'm wrapt to get Heppell, not so happy with the next pick??? if we had of got horlin-smith or parker then I think we would have filled 2 deficiencys in our midfield and backline......

I think we'll be all over Myles Sewell....

More like Gilbee/Hodge as he can play more through the midfield than you think. Of all the picked we are laughing to the bank with HEPPELL!:thumbsu:

beev

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
Re: National Draft Selection #8 - Dyson Heppell - On SEN NOW!

Didn't expect this, but satisfied with the outcome.

Was expected to be a top 5 pick so he seems a steal at 8.

Its good to recruit a great kick, something we obviously lack. Hopefully he can provide some class in the midfield. From what I've seen (not much) he seems to play a bit like Gaff - drop behind the ball to get involved and then push into the middle.

Added bonus, hes a bombers man. :thumbsu:

stugots

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2004
Golden Point
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

Hm..

you would think they would of learnt from Myers :cool:

Hm, interesting, no true midfielders..

****ing hell, they must have a hell of alot of faith in the current group.

yes, thats the way hirdys drafting reads doesnt it?

have all & sundry misread the future capability of our younguns? how else could tonight's results be interpreted?

got a very good feeling about all of this:D

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa

Pretty much, the reason why I cooled on Atley was his kicking and if Heppell is available, why not grab the bloke with the best kick!

I totally agree with Atley's kicking and the need for the EFC to recruit footballers who have elite kicking skills.

Pretty much. Heaven knows I have had enough of Prismall, etc kicking the ball to the opposition inside forward 50. Heppell won't do that regularly as he is a A Grade kick of the ball. We need blokes that can kick well, too many of our players are 5/10 kicks!

lemon chicken

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2008
Mordialloc
AFL Club
Essendon

I don't mean to offend you chicken man, but I'm going too any way..that is such a negative piece of ###t post my friend.

Negative?? Are you in the middle of a binge session? He is a back flanker. Fact.

Who the #### do you think you are saying he won't be a midfielder?

Same as you. A nobody posting in an internet forum. Get off your high horse chump.

[/quote]
So look at it like this..(and if you're not happy after that you should seek professional help)... [/quote]

It amazing what some of the mods around here let pass and not.

Don't you realise how hard it is to find elite junior players who dominate half-backlines? Players who have the footy brain, the courage and the skill ,to constantly go for contested marks against tall forwards?

David Myers??

He's a Victorian country boy, he's an Essendon supporter, his credentials are supurb. We are lucky to have such a low pick and get a kid like this.

Irrelevant but anyway :rolleyes:

I'm telling you, a tall dominate, skillfull, smart half backer at U16s level is so hard to find. Two years later at 18 years old ,one is in the top 10 draft and we gain a player who can work with Pears,Hurley, Hooker and Co and hopefully become a star player for us.

Has worked so far with Myers.

And yes maybe later move into the MF..:)

So you agree with what i said he's not a midfielder. :confused:

Here_we_come

All Australian
Nov 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I must admit I know bugger all about him, but going from the afl.com video there seems to be a touch of Pendlebury about him.

Hopefully he can reach those heights, I'm happy with this pick.

I sincerely hope he's a wee bit taller than 89cm Whomby.

Oh and, vid not available due to copyright by the AFL.

**** you AFL.

HardMan2010

Debutant
Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NBA: Orlando Magic / EPL: Arsenal
Re: Welcome to Essendon: Dyson Heppell

Didnt see that coming!

I did! Cant find my post earier this morning in one of the threads...but i had asked what people thought with his stocks reducing due to his osteotis pubis...so will have to see now whether this was the right decision...but a good utility type i believe...more chris judd like, he is hard at it and will also hit his target! That is what killed us this year, our kicking inaccuracy....only time will tell tho!!

Let's hope Reimers doesn't have a flashback, snap and deck the s*** out of Hepp.
Agree. Hepp will be wearing EFC colours though

Back