2010 Gippsland Power Captain
    2010 Draft Combine Invite

Draft Camp Results:
    2nd in Clean Hands Test – 28/30 93% efficiency
    3rd in Running Vertical Leap – 86cm
    6th in Beep test – 14.13
    8th in Standing Vertical Leap – 64cm
    20m Sprint – 2.98

Heppell played three matches for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, producing 18 disposals, 2 goals and five score assists in his first match against South Australia. He made his debut for Gippsland after that as a 16 year old in the TAC Cup in Round 11 and played in the Preliminary final loss to Dandenong. In 2009 he played 19 games for the Power predominately as a defender, but moved into the midfield at the end of the season to average 24 disposals, four inside 50’s and five rebound 50’s in his last four matches. AFL Prospectus

Left-footed half-back who lopes along before delivering long to the chest of a teammate. Sort of like Grant Birchall with a bouncy gait. Showed in the first game of the championships, against Vic Metro, that he has the wherewithal to recover from setbacks. The question is whether he can break out of a lope and achieve a gallop. Paul Daffey

Skilful left-footed medium defender with penetrating kick, strength overhead and clean hands. Was outstanding for Vic Country in the under-18 championships, winning MVP and All-Australian honours. Averaged 20 disposals at 75 per cent efficiency and four tackles. Kevin Sheehan

He is probably the best rebounding defender in the competition and his importance to Gippsland is unmatched by any other. His kicking is pin point and his effective kicking sets Gippsland up for numerous forward movements. He is strong in the air and clean on the ground, and teams will be keen to curb Heppell’s influence before he tears the game to pieces. He has the licence, as a designated kicker, to find the right options and more often than not his decision making is spot on. TAC Cup Website

In his own words

What type of player are you?

I'm a skilful, attacking defender.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
    Josh Drummond because he is a very skilful, creative defender with a long, accurate left foot kick.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
    Kicking ability, overhead marking, and clean hands at ground level.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
    Explosiveness, ability to break away from stoppages, body strength.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
    Essendon, because they were a very successful club when I was in primary school.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
    Dad - he has been a real mentor for me and has supported me with my football.
    http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729725

Last edited by a moderator:
    Debut
  • Re: Dyson Heppell

Heppell is set to make his debut this Sunday against the Bulldogs.
    He should quickly prove to be a bargain draft pick!
    How does everyone think he will go?
    My prediction,
    Kicks: 9
    Handballs: 12
    Marks: 4
    Tackles: 6
    Frees For: 1
    Frees Against: 0
    Goals: 1
    :thumbsu:
    Can't wait to see him become a STAR!!

Round 1 Rising Star Nominee
  • Re: Dyson Heppell

Round 1 Rising star nomination

Link
    Essendon youngster Dyson Heppell wins Rising Star nod
    Al Paton Herald Sun March 29, 2011 10:29AM
    900238-dyson-heppell.jpg

ESSENDON'S near-perfect start to the season has continued with Dyson Heppell named the season's first nominee for the 2011 Rising Star award.

Heppell won the nod ahead of several well-performed debutants at the weekend including Demon Luke Tapscott, Bulldog Tom Liberatore and Eagle Andrew Gaff.

The 18-year-old Bomber collected 20 disposals across half-back in Essendon's big win against the Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

“Dyson is an exceptionally talented footballer who has made a really smooth transition into AFL football," coach James Hird said.
    Link

Discussed in other threads as well:

Round 1 Rising Star Nominations - AFL Main board
    Dyson Heppell - Round 1 NAB Rising Star - Essendon team board

Crichton Medal 2012 - Second Place
  • Well done Dyson, second place in the Crichton Medal. For a guy that apparently stagnated according to a few people that is pretty good, I for one think he improved if anything. The future is looking good, nice transition into the midfield this year and will only get better.

Re-signs to end of 2015
  • Fractured hand at training
  • http://www.essendonfc.com.au/essendon/news/2014-08-20/heppell-injury-cloud

Essendon midfielder Dyson Heppell is expected to miss this week’s game against the Gold Coast after fracturing his hand at training today.

Club doctor Bruce Reid said Heppell’s recovery period would be minimal after undergoing surgery shortly after the accident.

“Dyson sustained a fracture in his hand during training this morning but we were extremely fortunate that Greg Hoy was available to operate on his hand within the hour,” Reid said.

“The surgery was a success, Dyson had a plate and screws inserted into his hand and we’re confident his recovery time will be minimal.”

Operate within the hour??? WTF??

Re-signs to the end of 2020
  • Dyson Heppell inks new deal with Essendon Bombers, locked up until end of 2020 season

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d-of-2020-season/story-fni5f6kv-1227178699534

“We have formed such a close bond with the entire group, that I can’t see anyone leaving (other than Paddy Ryder) because of the saga.

“I didn’t even think of it or mention it (in the new deal).

“We are such a tight-knit group and we are so hungry and driven to succeed as a group, and, to be honest, nothing else really matters.

“I hope me signing up for these five years does speak volumes for the culture of the place.”

Suck on a fat one haters.

Re-commits to the club (2016)
  • Defrosts steak in a microwave, injures his hand
  • Defrosts steak in the microwave... delist.

The other night on my birthday actually I was defrosting some steaks in the microwave, went to grab the plate out of the microwave and dropped it – got the fumbles,” he said.

“I tried to catch it again and the plate had smashed on the bench and I got a good gouge in my hand.

http://m.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-05-16/heppell-injury-update

3rd place in the 2017 Crichton Medal
  • Runner up in the 2018 Crichton Medal
  • Restricted training due to hamstring tendon pain
  • Restricted training due to tendon pain, aka "minor niggle". It's nice to get a bit more info than the usual jargon we get during the season...

Club captain Dyson Heppell is on restricted training due to minor hamstring soreness, but the inspirational leader remains on track to enter the quickly approaching season with a clean bill of health.

“Dyson has some hamstring tendon pain – we’d call this, in the season, a minor niggle.

“We’d like Dyson, given his workload in the season, to go into competitive AFL matches clean and without any niggles or issues so we’ve taken a really conservative approach to that.

“He had a few days off his feet, he’s back running now, he’s got no pain clinically - which means when in the physio room when we test it, it seems okay.

“We’ll be putting him on an individual program over the next fortnight to try and clear that and give him a clean run at the season.”
    http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-05/skins-injury-update-preseason

Steps down as Captain after 6 years
  • Officially stood down as captain - please let this be the end of the easy pot-shots. He has genuinely tried his guts out despite the clusterf#ckeroos the last 10 years.

Hasn't been a perfect captain/player by any means, but seems like he put his heart into it when we didn't have any other options.

Test to be available for round 1
  • (Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back