Player Watch #21: Capt. Dyson Heppell - Will fly to Adelaide, hopeful to play - 16/7

CBombers17

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Liked for the Current Affair reference. I could see him doing a runner and jumping a few fences with the winny reds falling out of the blue t-shirt sleeve as he goes over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I_am_Vengeance

Draftee
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Needs a haircut. Its time Dys. If you are going to be a leader than you can't be going around with a mop looking some some dole bludging surfie about to get a hidden camera shoved in the face by A Current Affair.

I'm a big believer in little distraction as possible. I don't care if the hair is 0.00000000001%. Its still too much. Cut your hair, set a standard.

We've had ridiculous man buns over the last few years and now we have Andrew McGrath growing his hair and from what I recall recently Joey D was always moving his hair away from the face while lining up for goal.

No chance of error, short, back sides.
Is this satire?

Runk

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
I love all the middle aged people on social media demanding he cut his hair, because we all know that a good haircut is inherent to your football ability.

That's exactly why Dustin Martin won the Brownlow a few years ago with a half-done buzzcut before the clippers ran out of battery.
If anything he needs to double down on the dreadlocks!

Get some extensions and go full 'rastafarian' kinda like his brother did a few years back, but BIGGER and BETTER!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darealrath

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
I don’t know why or how this has happened, but he’s far and away our most underrated player amongst our own supporters. He’s a bloody gem.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
OK then, let’s focus on Dys. I love him. He gives his all and is a good bloke. But the rot sets in when the captain is providing a conducive medium. He is doing some outright dumb stuff. Dragging the ball back in whilst on the ground, bombing the ball to a disadvantaged area in the forward 50 and turning the ball over in the corridor. These errors are hugely contagious when the skipper does them.

I’ve always felt he is a great midfielder but it might be time for him to come off halfback again. He’s had some great games in the guts this year but we need to try something different to best fit the team going forward.

HirdsTheWord

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
OK then, let’s focus on Dys. I love him. He gives his all and is a good bloke. But the rot sets in when the captain is providing a conducive medium. He is doing some outright dumb stuff. Dragging the ball back in whilst on the ground, bombing the ball to a disadvantaged area in the forward 50 and turning the ball over in the corridor. These errors are hugely contagious when the skipper does them.

I’ve always felt he is a great midfielder but it might be time for him to come off halfback again. He’s had some great games in the guts this year but we need to try something different to best fit the team going forward.
That kick to hooker says it all for me

Literally kicked it to a 2 on 1 with hooker running backwards, when the game was on the line.

He is an average player with a terrible boot on him.

The more and more I watch this year the more I realise how s**t now list actually is

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

Literally kicked it to a 2 on 1 with hooker running backwards, when the game was on the line.

The more and more I watch this year the more I realise how **** now list actually is
I’m not so down on our list as yourself. This list has shown a very high ceiling. I just think we need to harmonise to the list’s strengths. Maybe that means Dys to HB or perhaps even we go as far as finding a new captain. I wouldn’t take that option mid-season but I think a pre-season leadership re-jig wouldn’t be a stupid idea if we don’t make finals.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I actually didn’t think he was too bad tonight.
Easily in our best players. But it’s the stuff that he’s doing wrong that needs to be addressed. He is one of our worst offenders at bombing the ball into our forward arc.

I also think he is a decent captain. But if we don’t make finals this year is it not a reasonable idea to look at a Zach Merrett for the future? I just think that there’s enough queries at the moment to consider adjustments to his role in the team. I think his leadership style might still work. I certainly haven’t given up on him as a leader but for the first time I have some unhappy doubts.

Zach Package

Kyle Langfourd
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, SFG, Heat, Raiders

The more and more I watch this year the more I realise how **** now list actually is
He’s fine, you’ve just deluded yourself into thinking he was going to be a gun onballer

Summer Nights

Very stable genius
Jul 11, 2010
Click Clock Wood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Red Sox, Oilers
I can’t remember a player who’s changed so much from his debut year with such a mix of improvements and backwards steps over the journey.

Top Bottom