AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Dyson Heppell

I also posted this in the Dyson Heppell - The Best thread, but:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...707-1h4s9.html

The article is pretty solid and does point out some pretty decent facts, (which we're all aware of), i.e. Dyson's consistency; however, in my opinion, I think it's a little premature.

One of the best things about Heppell is that he brings a sense of future hope to EFC, and articles like this are just going to set everyone up for an eventual fall, (fingers-crossed it doesn't happen though).

I hope the pressure doesn't get to him as it would be a massive shame to ruin a player in this sort of fashion. Take LeBron James for example, sure he plays a different sport, but the expectations that were placed on him heading into the NBA Finals most likely had an adverse effect. It's unfair to the player, to the club and to the fans. Given Hirdy's recent comments, it seems that the club is taking a fairly realistic approach to Dyson's progression, which is refreshing.

Personally, I really hope he can maintain this level of form, or improve - I'd hate to see him become a whipping boy like Stanton if he doesn't live up to everyone's expectations.

I hope the pressure doesn't get to him as it would be a massive shame to ruin a player in this sort of fashion. Take LeBron James for example, sure he plays a different sport, but the expectations that were placed on him heading into the NBA Finals most likely had an adverse effect. It's unfair to the player, to the club and to the fans. Given Hirdy's recent comments, it seems that the club is taking a fairly realistic approach to Dyson's progression, which is refreshing.

LeBron deserved what he got :p

Good article on Dyson though. :thumbsu:

Shifter Sheahan (sp?) on SEN today saying he was surprised he drifted to us as he thought for sure he would be a top 3 pick. Compared it to Selwoods drafting. If we have that comparison for all his career we are laughing.

Wow, interesting one. That groin rumour (as opposed to Selwood's supposed knee issues and Darling's Head(!)) have been well constructed obviously! The end of year form last year from Heppell including finals should have been a big pointer.

I like that in Heppell and Melksham that we have recruited big game players from their performances at TAC finals. Sidebottom has also proven this theory to be spot on with his level of performance going up significantly in September.

Link
Will young Heppell prove the best and fairest of them all?
Martin Blake July 8, 2011
heppell-200x0.jpg

JAMES Hird has said a few times this year that he might need to rest Dyson Heppell, Essendon's 19-year-old wunderkind, lest he fall victim to the customary teenager's fatigue in his first season.

But it has never happened. Heppell keeps churning out good performances off half-back and in midfield for the Bombers, and Essendon keeps picking him.

It raises a question (with no wish to put the dreaded ''mozz'' on him). Could Heppell win the Bombers' best and fairest, the Crichton Medal, in his first season?
Link

The article is pretty solid and does point out some pretty decent facts, (which we're all aware of), i.e. Dyson's consistency; however, in my opinion, I think it's a little premature.

One of the best things about Heppell is that he brings a sense of future hope to EFC, and articles like this are just going to set everyone up for an eventual fall, (fingers-crossed it doesn't happen though).

Personally, I really hope he can maintain this level of form, or improve - I'd hate to see him become a whipping boy like Stanton if he doesn't live up to everyone's expectations.

I think the article has a valid point. With Watson and Hocking missing some footy, Hurley being moved around a lot and some of our other senior players being inconsistent Heppell has a chance to win it in his first year.

Hopefully the pressure and expectations don't become a problem because I am enjoying the glimpses of the teams future.

:thumbsu:

Went to the game, and watched the replay last night and the one bit of play that made me pause and rewind to make sure I had seen it right was in the 3rd (I think) when Heppell got the ball at the back of a stoppage and was about to load up then dinked this 5m kick to Hocking who was on his outside. It looked like he changed his mind between the ball drop and connection but did it perfectly in traffic. Absolutely astounding.

When I first saw this, I thought Hepp had miskicked it and just got lucky ............ it was only when I watched it again, that I realised what a supreme piece of skill and awareness it was.

No signs of the 2nd year blues vs Sydney.

I know it's only nab cup bit the bigger frame he is running around with shows he's had a fair preseason. He will have a big body within a couple more preseasons.

The lid is off for me with Heppell now already. I can see him as our next elite A-grade player. The best thing about him is that nothing seems to worry him!

My god we have a gem on our hands, I think he easily has the ability to join in that elite group of young players ala Fyfe, Martin etc by the end of the season!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: #21: Dyson Heppell - Our "next big thing"

I dunno if fans getting stuck into players, especially those from the club they support, will ever be 'funny'... but I get what you mean.

Re: #21: Dyson Heppell - Our "next big thing"

I dunno if fans getting stuck into players, especially those from the club they support, will ever be 'funny'... but I get what you mean.

not the getting stuck into per se; the fact they all said we made a mistake picking Heppell over Atley. One year on we're happy as larry and some of them are turning on him.

That's pretty funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back