AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

21 - heppell.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 27, Highly Evolved

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, he could well have been fine and played a s**t one but he didn’t look great and I’d suspect that’s the reason

We have a few sore boys at the moment. Hurley could barely jog at halftime and Jake is running through whatever injury he has

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
My brother ruined Heppell for me. He told me how much he turns the ball over by foot about 3 months ago. Since then every time he is about to kick I expect a turnover. This is not based on his game today which was arguably his worst since the first 6 rounds this year. Absolute stinker today. Kicking terrible and so too his decision making. You expect more from your captain and probably one of if not the highest paid player at the club. Just not good enough.

Just watched Wooha's presser.

Said has been sore for a while but been playing well.

Didnt train all week just to get up for the game.....

I know he is the captain but if he is not upto it dont play him next week and it might be a groin issue too.
Hopefully we have learned our lesson from the Daniher debacle.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

I know he is the captain but if he is not upto it dont play him next week and it might be a groin issue too.
If Hepp is the guy and captain he seems to be, i dont think the decision to play through injury ever had anything to do with the coaching staff.

Should still be a lock for the AA 40 squad regardless. Is top 10 in the coaches votes currently.

If Hepp is the guy and captain he seems to be, i dont think the decision to play through injury ever had anything to do with the coaching staff.

Should still be a lock for the AA 40 squad regardless. Is top 10 in the coaches votes currently.

He is been playing fine and its a part of the game. I just dont want it to become a Daniher situation

Myers, Langford, Smith, Zerrett, Parish, Zaka can all step up to carry to load.

Its probably best the decision is taken out of the players hands and leave it upto the selection panel.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

If we don't rest him it might be a groin issue... Mate, he has groin issue which he has been managing his whole career.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I hope he gets some serious consideration for AA this year. His last 2 months have been terrific & if he finishes out the year in a similar fashion he should have every chance to make the team or the squad at the very least.
AA... yes.

His ball winning, effort, leadership and courage are All Australian.

His kicking is Alcoholics Anonymous.

My brother ruined Heppell for me. He told me how much he turns the ball over by foot about 3 months ago. Since then every time he is about to kick I expect a turnover. This is not based on his game today which was arguably his worst since the first 6 rounds this year. Absolute stinker today. Kicking terrible and so too his decision making. You expect more from your captain and probably one of if not the highest paid player at the club. Just not good enough.

I have always been a Heppell fan since under 18 days but what you say is also a concern I have. I know he is playing with an injury but for us to be better he just has to stop turning the footy over. IF he can not then it will end up like Swallow at North. Great captain and hard at it player who ended up out of the side because he simply turned it over too much.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
With the season done , I think Hepp can play against Richmond only. It's worth resting him vs St. Kilda and probably the Power as well.

He's been left to do too much on his own for most of the season and even more evidence we need a big body around him.

Well there you go.

The VFL scheduling this year was an utter dogs breakfast (I now appreciate why you were so pissed off at it, eth-dog) and this is a prime example.
Astounding how bad it's been. Usually clubs get maybe one or two but we've had 4/5.

You should always try and learn from your mistakes, which is what you hope for every player. If Dyson learns from his early season form and his game on the weekend and takes it into next year for a more consistent year, it will be easier to move on from a season this year that could have been.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
VFL schedule ****ed us again.

Laverde was on the field at North Port at the time, and we already had to use two of the other emergencies for Dea and Guelfi
Shouldn't have made a difference and poor planning by the club. In Woosha's press conference post game they talked about the two late outs and he said something to the effect of "we lost one yesterday and today".

In other words they already knew they were going to have to use an emergency on Friday, so it's questionable whether they should have had Laverde at North Port Oval.

Shouldn't have made a difference and poor planning by the club. In Woosha's press conference post game they talked about the two late outs and he said something to the effect of "we lost one yesterday and today".

In other words they already knew they were going to have to use an emergency on Friday, so it's questionable whether they should have had Laverde at North Port Oval.
that would make it 3 emergencies at the game, we already had 2 as we knew we were using one already from the Friday. When did we know about the Saturday withdrawal?

Not sure if he should, but looks set to play this week.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-08-07/skins-injury-update-rd-21

Coach John Worsfold revealed last week that Heppell had been “carrying some soreness” during the side’s clash with Hawthorn, but the club expects the midfielder to take his place in the line-up against St Kilda on Friday.

“This time of year we have to manage the amount of training they do during the week – Hepp’s certainly in that category,” Physical Performance Manager Justin Crow said on the SKINS Injury Update on Tuesday.

“He is feeling a lot better this week than he was last week, which is good considering we’ve got the short turnaround.

“We’re expecting him to be able to play and he looked pretty sharp out there at training today.”

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
If Heppell falls just short of 300 games at the end of his career it will be due to the season off. Barely missed games since debuting.
I think he still has yet to make his VFL debut.

I reckon the best is yet to come and he will have an AA season or 2 in the coming years. He's probably not even totally out of discussions this year given his AFLCA rating, though I don't expect him to get in.

Anyway its a great achievement for him and hopefully the lads can rally and get him a win. I don't believe in milestone hoodoo's, if we are good enough we'll win.

mayhem20202

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2007
Sale, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United
If Heppell falls just short of 300 games at the end of his career it will be due to the season off. Barely missed games since debuting.
I think he still has yet to make his VFL debut.

I reckon the best is yet to come and he will have an AA season or 2 in the coming years. He's probably not even totally out of discussions this year given his AFLCA rating, though I don't expect him to get in.

Anyway its a great achievement for him and hopefully the lads can rally and get him a win. I don't believe in milestone hoodoo's, if we are good enough we'll win.

So, you’re saying because he missed 22 games in one season, that is going to reduce his final games tally??? I don’t know, seems a bit far fetched to me.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back