Past #21: Dom Tyson aka 'Tom Dyson' - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/1 NM goal - 113 AFL games - good luck DomTom

Remove this Banner Ad

Port have decided that two ruckmen is the go and brought Lycett in for that reason.

With NicNat back, the reigning premiers in West Coast will cover the loss of Lycett and again play two rucks.

Collingwood have Cox as their second ruck and he seems able to do the job.

Melbourne are apparently planning to give Gawn a chop-out with a second ruck hence the interest in Preuss.

That is four genuine flag contenders all going with either two rucks or one ruck plus a capable pinch-hitter.

Is North planning to go into next season with one ruck?

Or will the defensive structures be compromised by playing our third tall (Majak) as pinch-hitter?

Port have decided that two ruckmen is the go and brought Lycett in for that reason.

With NicNat back, the reigning premiers in West Coast will cover the loss of Lycett and again play two rucks.

Melbourne are apparently planning to give Gawn a chop-out with a second ruck hence the interest in Preuss.

That is four genuine flag contenders all going with either two rucks or one ruck plus a capable pinch-hitter.

Or will the defensive structures be compromised by playing our third tall (Majak) as pinch-hitter?
Goldy and Daw?

Paddy is aging, and seems to have chronic injuries.
Naitanui won't be back until f** end of season
Cox barely rucks, and Grundy runs and rucks all day.
Who knows whether Preuss will play or be a back up if Gawn goes down.

Not sure that your claims are accurate.

Media always says we're a 'great clearance and contested side' but statistically that's just not true. We're an efficient team when we win the ball and pump it long inside 50, but outside of Cunners we don't have any dedicated inside bulls. Jacobs is a unique player but not a bull, Higgo/Hall/Polec are explosive users, Anderson is a wrecking ball but on the small side and more of a mid/fwd. In today's footy we're lacking an inside mid, and Dom Tyson is a 25 year old former number 3 pick who, when allowed to play his preferred position, averages something like 26 touches and rates in elite in tackles and contested possessions. Will make us a better side imo, and is a vastly superior footballer to Preussy.

I'm staggered hes only 25. I actually don't mind this now. This actually may allow Cunners more rest up forward. Keeps the midfield fresh and also different mixes.

Considering the Dees midfield, he still played 17 games this year so can play.

giphy.gif

Im kind of hoping
Tyson is not better than any current inside mid option we have.

Cunnington, Higgins, Hall, Ahern are all better options.

Don't see a spot for him.
im in the minority here but Ahern can’t be played unless he fixes his fitness and defence. Tyson at least has those so will keep his position warm until he improves. Hall won’t play much mid.

Paddy is aging, and seems to have chronic injuries.
Cox barely rucks, and Grundy runs and rucks all day.
Who knows whether Preuss will play or be a back up if Gawn goes down.

Not sure that your claims are accurate.

A comprehensive takedown of a dubious, at best, proposition. :thumbsu:

Im kind of hoping

im in the minority here but Ahern can’t be played unless he fixes his fitness and defence. Tyson at least has those so will keep his position warm until he improves. Hall won’t play much mid.

Well, I forgot Anderson in my initial list.

LDU after a full preseason should be good to go as well.

So that's five players hes behind.

Just don't see it with him.

Sad to see an aggressive ruckman going but keeping with my opinion on rucks (not the highest priority) armed with a decent group genuine midfielders we can get by. Tyson will probably surprise many here, and will give relief to Cunnington.

posting from my mobile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I forgot Anderson in my initial list.

LDU after a full preseason should be good to go as well.

So that's five players hes behind.

Just don't see it with him.
Anderson absolutely. I'd love to see LDU in but i think he'll take a bit longer. It took de Goey 3 or so years to get up to the pace. LDU will be very similar to him. Tyson could play a role as these guys develop. When its time he'll be passed. At least weve got someone to fall back on if, heaven forbid, someone goes down for a year.

Dom Tyson = The Con

BTW, I think the whole "can't kick" thing is being a bit overplayed. He's generally a reliable kick but did drop off quite a bit in this respect in the back end of this year. My GoDees sources think he probably knew his spot on the list was under pressure and he may have been playing injured.

People are worried because he's a) an inside mid and b) played some underwhelming football after being forced onto a wing at Melbourne this year. I wouldn't be stressing, this guy can seriously play. He was an elite junior, hence the number 3 pick, but struggled with injury early in his career. When he finally got a run at it as an inside mid in 2016 and '17 he averaged 25 touches, 4 marks and 4 tackles a game (better than anyone currently on our list bar Cunners, Higgo and now Polec) and finished 4th in Melbourne's BnF in '16.

In 2018 he played out of position, had an injury interrupted preseason and still turned in these performances:

• 31 disps (13 kicks 18 hballs) and 4 marks- Round 21
  • 27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs) and 6 marks- Round 20
  • 27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs), 7 marks and a goal- Round 7
  • 25 disps (15 kicks 10 hballs) and 8 marks- Round 3
  • 22 disps (12 kicks 10 hballs), 7 marks and 6 tackles- Round 2
In today's footy you need 8-12 blokes who can run through the middle, so he won't be taking Ahern or LDU's spot, he'll be playing alongside them. He's a 25 year old who has the ability to be an elite inside mid and is a great leader and clubman to boot. 4 years ago, after averaging 13 touches a game for GWS he was traded for pick 2 (with some later pick swaps). Since then he has had his 2 best seasons, 1 mediocre one, and we look like landing him for a VFL ruckman when his best footy is clearly still ahead of him. This will go down as a huge win, mark my words.

Good depth. Ironic that we are trading a vfl ruckmen for a player that was originally traded for JK's pick in the 2013 draft lol

Also said vfl ruckman only cost us a rookie pick. Must have our eye on another speculative late draft/rookie big man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back