Past #21: Dom Tyson aka 'Tom Dyson' - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/1 NM goal - 113 AFL games - good luck DomTom

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded in as part of a horror 2005 trade period where Laidley effectively burnt the list - Swallow was the saving grace.

Powell was (reportedly) brought in without screening from Sydney. He didn't want to play football anymore even before he arrived, reluctantly turned up at Arden Street before bailing out during the preseason. He later made comments about wanting to get injured during his first training sessions to get out of having to be there (confirmed - Footy Show interview).
s**t, I didn’t know that, thought trading for Jonathan Hay was bad enough.

He speaks!

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/b6c018282434380cc80c2a50cff09e1e

Dom Tyson says second trade of his career wasn’t a surprise after switching from Melbourne to Kangaroos
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
December 2, 2018 5:19pm
Subscriber only
DOM Tyson realised 12 months into his AFL career that his childhood pastime was suddenly a business when Richmond came calling with a trade request.

A year later he was a Melbourne player as the Demons and GWS tried to broker a win-win deal that also involved Josh Kelly, Christian Salem and Jayden Hunt.

So when the 25-year-old inside midfielder spent the early part of this season playing on a wing or in the VFL, Tyson was well aware how the next step might play out.

Tyson is now a fortnight into the pre-season as a North Melbourne player after that early-season inkling turned into a certainty after his exit interview with coach Simon Goodwin.

The equation was this: finish your contract next year then see what happens, or move to North Melbourne on a guaranteed three-year deal.

Tyson says the decision to “pull the trigger” wasn’t all that hard, especially given North Melbourne’s sales pitch.

“Basically for me last year I was aware of the fact my inside midfield time was decreasing and I was a makeshift winger and in and out of the team a little bit,” he said.

cb7b3b3a6cfa2083df6edd9941c4b174

North Melbourne recruit Dom Tyson in his new kit at Arden St. Picture: Michael Klein
“They have got some really good younger players at Melbourne playing as inside mids and I could do the maths that my opportunity there was limited. Simon Goodwin was really good, he was honest.

“He and the list manager Tim Lamb said while your value is still there and you have some runs on the board, if you want to explore your options this season, we are giving you the green light to do that.

“We rate you as a person and we see a future for you next year, but we probably can’t guarantee you much more opportunity.”

So Tyson finds himself at his third club in seven seasons after Brad Scott’s assurances that the Kangaroos value him as that inside ball-winner.

Tyson also met Gold Coast and could have accepted a four or five-year deal there but felt after moving from a premiership contender he could still play finals at the Roos.

“When North presented to me I liked the feel of the club straight away and there was an opportunity to play as an inside mid again.

“It was a difficult decision and you think, ‘Do I stick around and hopefully see some success?’.

“But footy can be a business at times and North felt good. I didn’t want to overthink it.

“North Melbourne explained there was a little bit of a gap in the list for 25-year-olds with around 100 games and they said we value your strengths as a player, which sat well with me.”

3d8dc28c7560cbf8a2681f12f24055ea

Dom Tyson says Simon Goodwin was honest during his exit interview about his likely opportunities at the Demons.
Tyson comes to the Roos fresh from his first three finals, fitting reward at Melbourne after five years of toil.

A broken arm in Round 23 against old side GWS gave him only nine days to recover for the first final against Geelong yet he made it, with some help.

“The doctors put a titanium plate across the break so the bone was still broken but the plate acted as (reinforcement) across the bone. I was in discomfort early and it just get better every day so I could play that Friday night against Geelong. I was glad I got the chance to play and it turned out to be one of the better games we played all year.”

The season ended with a horror loss to West Coast in a preliminary final, but at 25 and with 107 games to his name, Tyson’s best football should still be ahead of him.

He was eventually traded from Melbourne in a swap with ruckman Braydon Preuss, the Roos initially lukewarm on him before Andrew Gaff rebuffed their free agency advances.

North Melbourne would love to add Josh Kelly to this list in 12 months’ time, but for Scott the hard-nut left-footer is a perfect addition to a midfield that needs inside strength.

Jack Ziebell can continue to play deep forward and the likes of Ben Cunnington, Jed Anderson and Luke Davies-Uniacke get valuable support.

“I have been really impressed with the training standards and the midfield mix,” Tyson said.

“I didn’t know much about guys like Trent Dumont but watching him train for a couple of weeks, he’s really impressive.

“Jy Simpkin is really fit, Shaun Higgins and Cunners (Cunnington) are training really well.

“I am excited about fitting into that group and impressing as best I can.”

“The doctors put a titanium plate across the break so the bone was still broken but the plate acted as (reinforcement) across the bone. I was in discomfort early and it just get better every day so I could play that Friday night against Geelong. I was glad I got the chance to play and it turned out to be one of the better games we played all year.”

:think::sick:

I hope so. Would love to see him excel and leave the Dees and Giants scratching their heads.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t think anyone will be scratching their heads.

He was young at the giants and behind arguably the best inside midfielders in the comp at the dees.

It’s really a credit to the dees, who gave him the chance to further his career, rather then letting him play 3rd or 4th fiddle.

Their loss is our gain.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has always been a pretty good move, I think he's going to play 4-5 really solid years of footy here, more just disappointed it was at the expense of Preuss, but time to move on.

Whether this is Lewis, or one of our analysts, we obviously look at previously high level best 22 players that have been pushed out of their preferred position by their club, and target them for undervalue.

Higgins - Was playing in a back pocket under McCarthy. We moved him back to the Fwd-Mid role and has become an elite midfielder of the league.
Williams - Was moved up the ground by Collingwood, foot skills were found out and pushed out of the side, despite finishing top 5 in their B&F as a small defender.
Tyson - Top 5 B&F player at Melbourne as an inside ball getter, pushed out to the wing with the emergence of Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney etc
Pittard - AA squad HBF, pushed up the ground and struggled. Significant discount on even 12 months ago when he was a RFA.
Waite - Not really positional, but unloved due to age profile.
Dal Santo - See above.

Pittard - AA squad HBF, pushed up the ground and struggled. Significant discount on even 12 months ago when he was a RFA.

This isn't really true, Pittard's role with us didn't change. He just went from playing it really well in 2016 to playing it okay in 2017 to playing it terribly in 2018 for some reason. But it was the same role.

I do hope he does well for you guys though, I always thought he copped more s**t from our crowds than he deserved so I'd like to see him find somewhere more welcoming. And I do think playing for a team like North Melbourne with a simple but effective gameplan of 'go for a run and kick it long up to the KPF's' will suit his strengths and minimise his weaknesses better than Ken Hinkley's gameplan ever did.

Last edited:
This isn't really true, Pittard's role with us didn't change. He just went from playing it really well in 2016 to playing it okay in 2017 to playing it terribly in 2018 for some reason. But it was the same role.

I do hope he does well for you guys though, I always thought he copped more s**t from our crowds than he deserved so I'd like to see him find somewhere more welcoming. And I do think playing for a team like North Melbourne with a simple but effective gameplan of 'go for a run and kick it long up to the KPF's' will suit his strengths and minimise his weaknesses better than Ken Hinkley's gameplan ever did.
If you watch our games live, surprisingly you would think that’s our game plan, Kick it long, argh who too!!!

Last edited:
This has always been a pretty good move, I think he's going to play 4-5 really solid years of footy here, more just disappointed it was at the expense of Preuss, but time to move on.

Whether this is Lewis, or one of our analysts, we obviously look at previously high level best 22 players that have been pushed out of their preferred position by their club, and target them for undervalue.

Higgins - Was playing in a back pocket under McCarthy. We moved him back to the Fwd-Mid role and has become an elite midfielder of the league.
Williams - Was moved up the ground by Collingwood, foot skills were found out and pushed out of the side, despite finishing top 5 in their B&F as a small defender.
Tyson - Top 5 B&F player at Melbourne as an inside ball getter, pushed out to the wing with the emergence of Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney etc
Waite - Not really positional, but unloved due to age profile.
Dal Santo - See above.

I would really love to know what Glenn Luff has input so far and what his role is. Moneyball situation.

Could well be the surprise packet of the new boys.

He's the one I'm not sure what to expect from - I think he could turn out to be a really astute pick up.
There was a reason Roos rated him enough to bring him to the Dees, so I guess we'll see what that is.

Cunners is never going to have over 85% game time.

When Cunnington isn’t in the middle our clearance numbers drastically go down.

Tyson is the perfect 2nd fiddle to Cunners in my eyes.

Is very fit now after playing more outside the last 18 months.
Absolutely, and if Tyson betters our expectations then it could help extend Cunners career an extra season or two.

If you watch our games live, surprisingly you would think that’s our game plan, Kick it long, argh who too!!!

The 3 opposition defenders holding Brown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back