Past #21: Dom Tyson aka 'Tom Dyson' - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/1 NM goal - 113 AFL games - good luck DomTom

Remove this Banner Ad

If I heard correctly Trade Radio saying they expect a Preuss for Tyson straight swap wouldn't be fair and North could expect a pick back.

Need to relisten to confirm.

If I heard correctly Trade Radio saying they expect a Preuss for Tyson straight swap wouldn't be fair and North could expect a pick back.

That’s right, you didn’t mishear.

People are worried because he's a) an inside mid and b) played some underwhelming football after being forced onto a wing at Melbourne this year. I wouldn't be stressing, this guy can seriously play. He was an elite junior, hence the number 3 pick, but struggled with injury early in his career. When he finally got a run at it as an inside mid in 2016 and '17 he averaged 25 touches, 4 marks and 4 tackles a game (better than anyone currently on our list bar Cunners, Higgo and now Polec) and finished 4th in Melbourne's BnF in '16.

In 2018 he played out of position, had an injury interrupted preseason and still turned in these performances:

• 31 disps (13 kicks 18 hballs) and 4 marks- Round 21
  • 27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs) and 6 marks- Round 20
  • 27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs), 7 marks and a goal- Round 7
  • 25 disps (15 kicks 10 hballs) and 8 marks- Round 3
  • 22 disps (12 kicks 10 hballs), 7 marks and 6 tackles- Round 2
In today's footy you need 8-12 blokes who can run through the middle, so he won't be taking Ahern or LDU's spot, he'll be playing alongside them. He's a 25 year old who has the ability to be an elite inside mid and is a great leader and clubman to boot. 4 years ago, after averaging 13 touches a game for GWS he was traded for pick 2 (with some later pick swaps). Since then he has had his 2 best seasons, 1 mediocre one, and we look like landing him for a VFL ruckman when his best footy is clearly still ahead of him. This will go down as a huge win, mark my words.

I like it and agree it is a good trade for us. But again for some context re being traded for pick 2, its Melbourne we're talking about, Gysberts and pick 11??? Jimmy Toumpas pick 3 (ahead of Ollie Wines with whom Viney is good mates)???

Nah it was the opposite, they said Tyson is a much better player and North will have to cough up picks too. Not sure I disagree but I reckon Melbourne's salary cap situation might change that somewhat...

Nah it was the opposite, they said Tyson is a much better player and North will have to cough up picks too. Not sure I disagree but I reckon Melbourne's salary cap situation might change that somewhat...
Would have to relisten but pretty sure they said Tyson hasn't really come on as expected and was on the outer so North would get the pick back.

Happy to stand corrected though

That’s changed from earlier where we were expecting picks back.

A lot of bad judgements going on here.

He's a top 3 inside mid on our list until LDU comes on.

I wanna extend Higgo's career for as long as possible and this bloke delivers the inside game that Higgo gives us.

I wanna extend Higgo's career for as long as possible and this bloke delivers the inside game that Higgo gives us.

Yep. Think it's a solid pick.

Again, like Pittard, at absolute worst he's AFL quality depth, the lack of which has been a problem for us for a while. At best he's a 25+ possession, 5 tackle a game mid. Both deals are low risk, but if we continue our trend of getting the best out of mature recruits they could provide massive rewards.

It's up to Scott now to select the best performing players regardless of age because we've got genuine AFL standard players that will be playing VFL footy now.

Again, like Pittard, at absolute worst he's AFL quality depth, the lack of which has been a problem for us for a while. At best he's a 25+ possession, 5 tackle a game mid. Both deals are low risk, but if we continue our trend of getting the best out of mature recruits they could provide massive rewards.

It's up to Scott now to select the best performing players regardless of age because we've got genuine AFL standard players that will be playing VFL footy now.

Can see him getting the 'traded in so gets a game' pass that Hrovat has used the past couple if seasons.

And if Tyson comes, North would have added 4 100+ gamers in one off season (3 with some toe) with Jacobs also to come in and Ahern with possibly a full preseason.

Higgins will get some freedom.

I like the fact we are strengthening our 15th to 22nd spots.

I really hope this aggressive trading is matched by a clean whiteboard from Scotty. Everyone, everyone has to earn a spot for round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if Tyson comes, North would have added 4 100+ gamers in one off season (3 with some toe) with Jacobs also to come in and Ahern with possibly a full preseason.

Higgins will get some freedom.

Yep, he goes outside.

They tag him, Polec & Ahern get off the hook.

I like the fact we are strengthening our 15th to 22nd spots.

I really hope this aggressive trading is matched by a clean whiteboard from Scotty. Everyone, everyone has to earn a spot for round 1.

Yeah. This isn't only appropriate to this thread but you look at this year and the times people were frustrated by (take your pick of) Hrovat, Clarke, Lmac etc and now there are guys ready to go that can compete with these players. We also had players like Ahern who was great but struggling with the fitness week to week. These pickups allow us a bit more freedom to both earn the spots as you say but also rotate out based on injury and fitness. Hopefully.

Jack Ziebell will never have to set foot near the middle again. We'll optimise him and extend his career.

............and terrify defenders.

People are worried because he's a) an inside mid and b) played some underwhelming football after being forced onto a wing at Melbourne this year. I wouldn't be stressing, this guy can seriously play. He was an elite junior, hence the number 3 pick, but struggled with injury early in his career. When he finally got a run at it as an inside mid in 2016 and '17 he averaged 25 touches, 4 marks and 4 tackles a game (better than anyone currently on our list bar Cunners, Higgo and now Polec) and finished 4th in Melbourne's BnF in '16.

In 2018 he played out of position, had an injury interrupted preseason and still turned in these performances:

• 31 disps (13 kicks 18 hballs) and 4 marks- Round 21
  • 27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs) and 6 marks- Round 20
  • 27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs), 7 marks and a goal- Round 7
  • 25 disps (15 kicks 10 hballs) and 8 marks- Round 3
  • 22 disps (12 kicks 10 hballs), 7 marks and 6 tackles- Round 2
In today's footy you need 8-12 blokes who can run through the middle, so he won't be taking Ahern or LDU's spot, he'll be playing alongside them. He's a 25 year old who has the ability to be an elite inside mid and is a great leader and clubman to boot. 4 years ago, after averaging 13 touches a game for GWS he was traded for pick 2 (with some later pick swaps). Since then he has had his 2 best seasons, 1 mediocre one, and we look like landing him for a VFL ruckman when his best footy is clearly still ahead of him. This will go down as a huge win, mark my words.
Sorry no room for logic here.

Afl.com.au:
  • North Melbourne and Melbourne are in talks over a trade that would send Dom Tyson to Arden Street and Braydon Preuss to AAMI Park. However, it is not clear whether a straight swap will be sufficient to get the deal done, with the clubs discussing potential secondary elements.

Port have decided that two ruckmen is the go and brought Lycett in for that reason.

With NicNat back, the reigning premiers in West Coast will cover the loss of Lycett and again play two rucks.

Collingwood have Cox as their second ruck and he seems able to do the job.

Melbourne are apparently planning to give Gawn a chop-out with a second ruck hence the interest in Preuss.

That is four genuine flag contenders all going with either two rucks or one ruck plus a capable pinch-hitter.

Is North planning to go into next season with one ruck?

Or will the defensive structures be compromised by playing our third tall (Majak) as pinch-hitter?
I think 2 rucks is the way to go. Hope we catch on soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back