Past #21: Dom Tyson aka 'Tom Dyson' - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/1 NM goal - 113 AFL games - good luck DomTom

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely we just let him recover and see how he fits rather than making him tag or play defensive forward and all these other suggestions? Many players improved under Shaw, can't see how Tyson couldn't. Played some very very good footy throughout his career as an inside mid, all of which are enjoying a fine run of form under Shaw.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suppose he always has the comfort of knowing that you are a completely sh*t house judge of footballers.
Mate if it was up to you our starting midfield would be Shane Tuck, Kane Cornes and Dom Tyson. You wish you knew even half as much as me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Mate if it was up to you our starting midfield would be Shane Tuck, Kane Cornes and Dom Tyson. You wish you knew even half as much as me.

Your entire repertoire consists of sh*tcanning blokes that are having a bad run.

A blind, cave dwelling ****ing Siberian who has never even heard of AFL football can do that!!!

You're a card carrying clueless campaigner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your entire repertoire consists of sh*tcanning blokes that are having a bad run.

A blind, cave dwelling ****ing Siberian who has never even heard of AFL football can do that!!!

You're a card carrying clueless campaigner.
Can you not allow me my opinion that I don't think Tyson is up to it? I don't wish to bang on about it like others do in the Jmac thread. It goes way back to his GWS days. We made a mistake making the trade we did. But those responsible have now moved on, so I'm trying to as well.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I personally think if he was fit he would have been very handy towards the end season when LDU & TT start to tire.

His best footy is AFL standard, but he may not fit into our midfield as the vast majority of our centre square mids are one paced. He isn’t suited to anywhere else on the field.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So ATM who would Tyson dislodge in the Senior Line Up? Who would he dislodge down the track? :stern look

I don’t think he was would replace anyone at the moment but no doubt will help our VFL midfield

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him to have such a strong judgement just yet. He hasn’t played much footy this year

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ahern, Davies - Uniake & possibly Dumont.

Would rather see Ahern get a decent run at it, if he doesn’t step it up then back in the 2s

LDU stays in. He is our future

I’m more saying Tyson hasn’t played much footy lately so he will need some time in the VFL regardless. And that’s ok because he will only help our midfield there

He is not a s**t player by any means

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Particularly in a setup built around contested ball. He is good in traffic, clean hands. Will be a handy addition to the squad when he gets full fitness.

He was utilised atrociously in 3 games of Brad Scott's utterly absurd game plan at the start of the year, and was actually stiff to get dropped when Scott had to ditch blokes to fill the holes in his monstrosity.

The instant gratification junkies stepped in at that point and wrote him off. Y'know, the same people that constantly show up in other threads looking ridiculous for making knee jerk responses about players.

Dom would be absolutely thriving under Rhyce Shaw's coaching.

If one of our midfield was to get injured this week, who would come in next?

Ideally, Dom if he were fit. Without him, I dare say we’d be a bit exposed through there? Otherwise, we’re shuffling to bring in a Jmac or Hrovat - with Higgins, Garner and Jacobs unavailability.

I’d have Dom in front of those guys.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Tef you wouldn't play Tyson on Dumont's wing would you? I'll agree to disagree on LDU and Ahern but surely you wouldn't do that?

I don't think there would be much difference in output on the wing, and Tyson's ability to go in to the middle gives greater flexibility. There's not much in it. As a pure midfield rotation player, Tyson is currently a better option than either Ahern or LDU.

Of course, Ahern is a fitness & technique related matter, and LDU is a fitness & age related matter.

As is usual for this place, most players who are serially bagged aren't anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be, and promising youngsters aren't anywhere near as good as they are made out to be (presently).

It also needs to be taken in to account that I view playing underdeveloped players in the AFL for "development" purposes, as predominately being a fallacy. It's probably the biggest generally accepted fallacy of the football public.

It also needs to be taken in to account that I view playing underdeveloped players in the AFL for "development" purposes, as predominately being a fallacy. It's probably the biggest generally accepted fallacy of the football public.

It's an interesting question. Can work both ways, so I would say it really depends on a player and his development needs. For example, a long stint in the VFL did Larkey no harm, that's for sure. But some mids learn nothing in the VFL, due to a completely different style of play and spread on crappy grounds. I think TT for example, would not benefit from playing VFL at the moment. I am 50/50 on LDU - I think playing AFL is vital for him, but a week or two in VFL here or there to work on a few issues would be good for him as well.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
It's an interesting question. Can work both ways, so I would say it really depends on a player and his development needs. For example, a long stint in the VFL did Larkey no harm, that's for sure. But some mids learn nothing in the VFL, due to a completely different style of play and spread on crappy grounds. I think TT for example, would not benefit from playing VFL at the moment. I am 50/50 on LDU - I think playing AFL is vital for him, but a week or two in VFL here or there to work on a few issues would be good for him as well.

You’re right. Each player has to be looked at on an individual basis.

There’d be nothing wrong with sending LDU back to the VFL at some point to get serious game time and also to let him get his hands on the ball 30 times. We just need to balance that against getting him adequate AFL exposure. He’s likely not going anywhere until Higgins gets back due to lack of replacements.

TT is contributing strongly even without high numbers. And he’s been playing against men for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If greenwood can be turned into a tagger, then it's not beyond tyson. Also cunnington has hidden strength as a marking forward. If he gets tagged and is been subdued, put him one out in front of the goals and let tyson take his spot.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So ATM who would Tyson dislodge in the Senior Line Up? Who would he dislodge down the track? :stern look

Cunners and JZ although probably not JZ cause he's Cpt, but Cunners for sure. Maybe Simpkin. Good chance Higgins and Jacobs both play in 2020, so yeah falls a further two places in the pecking order.

Not sure why the fuss TBH?

Back