AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Dyson was not good
he is endearing like terrydaniher but unlike td has demonstrated very little on field leadership in my opinion and certainly does not have td’s toughness
must be let go at the end of the year
god knows who our next skipper will be

I disagree about the toughness; I reckon he's pretty courageous. It's some other aspects of his leadership that - for me - are not particularly inspiring.

So jump ship then - another club, another sport, a different interest. Supporting this club is a choice. Do it if it suits you, don't do it if it makes you feel sucked in. Life's too short to get too worked up about Essendon's fortunes. The key to happiness is to keep your expectations low
if supporting Essendon was a choice id *in given up years ago.

unfortunately for most once a club sticks its hard to move on from.

I disagree about the toughness; I reckon he's pretty courageous. It's some other aspects of his leadership that - for me - are not particularly inspiring.
Daniher was a few levels tougher mate
no way Dyson is on the same level- td was Luke hodge like
dyson is an honest toiler in 2022 who hasnt got an afl position anymore

Last edited:

It's up to everyone to make a stand. That's why we're called "supporters". We're supposed to support our team and our players - especially when they're struggling. It used to be called being a true believer, through thick and thin. If the boys get booed off on Saturday, those fans should go and support another team. Carlton perhaps?
I don’t think the role of supporters is blind support. It’s doing what needs to be done for the good of the club. That includes building pressure to make changes when things have become untenable and the boys club continues to line their own pockets.

I don’t think the role of supporters is blind support. It’s doing what needs to be done for the good of the club. That includes building pressure to make changes when things have become untenable and the boys club continues to line their own pockets.
no one seriously thinks that the team deliberately goes out there to play like they don't care do they? No blind support on this board at any rate.

However bad supporters feel when the team loses, there is no doubt the players feel it more. After all they're the ones putting their careers and reputations on the line each week - with damning vision to be played endlessly when they stuff up.

So jump ship then - another club, another sport, a different interest. Supporting this club is a choice. Do it if it suits you, don't do it if it makes you feel sucked in. Life's too short to get too worked up about Essendon's fortunes. The key to happiness is to keep your expectations low

Sorry, didn't realize the Essendon marketing dept was on BigFooty. 😋

A lot of supporters have jumped ship I assure you, but not to another team. More likely to another sport. I'd also love to know our youth number in terms of support. My son is one of the few bombers supporters in his school.. and that's my fault. If he could he would support a different team.

The reason I can so callously state what I said above that is that my indifference is at it's highest.

But also, happy to corrected about anything in my original post, but it seems like you just wanted to throw the old "If you don't like you can leave" cliche.

Sorry, didn't realize the Essendon marketing dept was on BigFooty. 😋

A lot of supporters have jumped ship I assure you, but not to another team. More likely to another sport. I'd also love to know our youth number in terms of support. My son is one of the few bombers supporters in his school.. and that's my fault. If he could he would support a different team.

The reason I can so callously state what I said above that is that my indifference is at it's highest.

But also, happy to corrected about anything in my original post, but it seems like you just wanted to throw the old "If you don't like you can leave" cliche.
No, I get frustration and disappointment and the need to vent about the team. All the things you are upset about upset me too. But I don't feel "sucked in". I think I've got a choice about whether I support Essendon, watch the games, follow the discussion on BF.

I think if something is reducing your quality of life then its time to let go.

If you are just venting then play on.

Now off to ring the EFC marketing department....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or the s**t about needing to remonstrate with Parker is a media beat up. Shiel wasn’t even looking in his direction and doubt he noticed or even made the connection that he was calling him soft.

Don’t really think Heppell’s leadership can be questioned but if we can see he’s no longer up to it at AFL level then surely the players have noticed which would be a huge detractor imo.

Is it just me or the s**t about needing to remonstrate with Parker is a media beat up. Shiel wasn’t even looking in his direction and doubt he noticed or even made the connection that he was calling him soft.

Don’t really think Heppell’s leadership can be questioned but if we can see he’s no longer up to it at AFL level then surely the players have noticed which would be a huge detractor imo.
Of course Heppell's leadership can be questioned. The standards that are accepted comes down to our leaders, and our standards aren't high enough. She'll be right we always bounce back isn't working.

Feel for Hepp. He’s facing up to the media wankfest, having to listen to bullshit from talking head knobs (incl Lloyd) who’s only job is to shriek for views and clicks.

I think he’d be working hard behind the scenes to try to lead the group.

On top of this he’s facing his football mortality, and he’d know that. He likely has around 10 games left in his career then an uncertain future, and that’s a big deal for somebody who’s been playing footy forever. All the dreams of success he had since being drafted are pretty much up in smoke now, which would be depressing. He’s coming to the end. It hits most players very hard, it’s a sad and uncertain time.

Daniher was a few levels tougher mate
no way Dyson is on the same level- td was Luke hodge like
dyson is an honest toiler in 2022 who hasnt got an afl position anymore

No doubt about TD, most people would fall short of his lofty standards. Buy I still think Heppell goes when it's his turn.

It was good he fronted up but it is just words. Gotta back it up on the field and not just for a quarter.

I still can't believe he hadn't seen the footage of Parker. Was all over the media/social media.

Wow.

You went there.
What are you talking about
the point is just because everyone believes something it doesn’t mean it’s true- nothing more
o wen will you learn pal to play the ball and not the man

No doubt about TD, most people would fall short of his lofty standards. Buy I still think Heppell goes when it's his turn.
Yes but he is not physically or mentally tough
ripping bloke but ant555 is correct he has no real place in the team and the game at afl level has passed him by

It was good he fronted up but it is just words. Gotta back it up on the field and not just for a quarter.

I still can't believe he hadn't seen the footage of Parker. Was all over the media/social media.

That would be the major part of his frustration… he can’t really lead by example because deep down he’d know, the game has largely passed him by.

He’s gotta motivate others where he can but ultimately, what they do is up to them and his ability to lead by example is limited.

It’s gotta hurt.

He has to retire. He has not spot in the side where he can be really effective.
The idea of who replaces him
Is terrifying….can’t be Merrett or McGrath. Do you go left field with someone like Kelly?

I dunno. I agree he should retire but sheesh……it really creates a vacuum.

What are you talking about
the point is just because everyone believes something it doesn’t mean it’s true- nothing more
o wen will you learn pal to play the ball and not the man

I mean you're bringing up Nazi Germany in a player discussion thread, it's not really a playing the ball kinda thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back