AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell (c) - Will captain the side again in 2022!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sticky post

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
21 - Dyson Heppell.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2022

Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:

Clark G

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
This might be an unpopular opinion but so be it. This was a good time to make Zach Merrett the captain and let Heppell focus on footy. Or perhaps have a Cummins-Smith style structure where Heppell supports Merrett and acts as captain if Merrett does not play.

Keystone agony

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
This might be an unpopular opinion but so be it. This was a good time to make Zach Merrett the captain and let Heppell focus on footy. Or perhaps have a Cummins-Smith style structure where Heppell supports Merrett and acts as captain if Merrett does not play.
Until Zach can show others he runs defensively with conviction than I'd rather have Heppell or someone else captain.

Last thing we want is a Goddard situation a leader telling others to do things one won't do themselves

Heppell as captain regardless this year is the absolutely right call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Heppell probably is the best captain- but tight one between Watson and Lloyd as to who’s a better player

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t agree with any of this. Lloyd clearly the best player and I’d say worst captain. Watson clearly the best captain - the way the players spoke of him during the drugs saga made it clear to me. Leaves Heppell worst player second best captain

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Don’t agree with any of this. Lloyd clearly the best player and I’d say worst captain. Watson clearly the best captain - the way the players spoke of him during the drugs saga made it clear to me. Leaves Heppell worst player second best captain

The guy fourth in line on that list didn't go too badly...

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
People are a bit harsh on Lloyd - how much input did he have, as captain, on list management and gameplan? Both were awful in Sheedy’s last few years as coach and then Knights picked up where Sheedy left off.

One thing about Lloyd's captaincy was he was desperately unlucky with the timing of his hamstring off the bone injury which really marked the end of his dominant period as a player. If i recall correctly his first 2 games he was massive leading the coleman including leading us to an upset win against last years premier Swans. Then the injury happened and he was never the same player after that, definitely lost some of his explosiveness.

Its hard to be a good captain when you aren't on the park and you're not the same player you were.
I don't think it was all Lloyd's fault by any means but there's no way to look favourably on his time as captain when all is said and done but mostly due to circumstances beyond his control.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad