Sticky post

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
21 - Dyson Heppell.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2022
Last Game Played: Round 16, 2020 (injured)
Injury Status: Tracking well, in full training - 9/2
Building up his training load, integrating with the main group - 20/1
Surgery, new screws, plaster, 10 weeks. Should start pre-season on time - 15/9
Surgery to remove a screw from his ankle - 11/9

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda_

Hall of Famer
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I'm going back a while, but when played off the HBF wasn't he quite a decent ball user?
People want precision out of defence when I feel his decision making makes him a better than average user of the ball and an adequate option there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srobbo

Hall of Famer
Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
As others have suggested, it’s either in the middle or out of the side he’s that pigeon holed as a player now. Feel we need his leadership in a Ling kind of way & just hope he gets his foot right or else he’ll be redundant.

As strange as it sounds if he can’t have an impact this year he’s almost looking at retirement.

HirdsTheWord

OH WE'RE FROM DIVER LAND
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
As others have suggested, it’s either in the middle or out of the side he’s that pigeon holed as a player now. Feel we need his leadership in a Ling kind of way & just hope he gets his foot right or else he’ll be redundant.

As strange as it sounds if he can’t have an impact this year he’s almost looking at retirement.
i wouldnt exactly call dysons leadership a need....

he its not the kind of captain that motivates other players to play better, like Jobe did.

if hes not earning his spot based on performance than he needs to go.

srobbo

Hall of Famer
Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
i wouldnt exactly call dysons leadership a need....

he its not the kind of captain that motivates other players to play better, like Jobe did.

if hes not earning his spot based on performance than he needs to go.
Yeah he’s not the inspritatinal lead that Jobe was, but his effort is unquestionable & he gets the ball going our way when fit. Does a lot of the heavy lifting & his midfield guidance is invaluable.

No question that it’s a big year for him though.

HirdsTheWord

OH WE'RE FROM DIVER LAND
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah he’s not the inspritatinal lead that Jobe was, but his effort is unquestionable & he gets the ball going our way when fit. Does a lot of the heavy lifting & his midfield guidance is invaluable.

No question that it’s a big year for him though.
effort is one thing but if you are not getting results than that is different.

I give plenty of effort to my 5km runs at the gym, but i daresay reckon the output in pretty mediocre!

srobbo

Hall of Famer
Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
effort is one thing but if you are not getting results than that is different.

I give plenty of effort to my 5km runs at the gym, but i daresay reckon the output in pretty mediocre!
Lack of effort & attitude is a key reason why we’re sh*t. We just fail to do the basics properly & our application over 4 qtrs is diabolical. It’s in this context where he can guide us because his work ethic is unconditional.....can’t say the same about any of our other mids.

Last edited:

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Tracking well, in full training now.

Meanwhile, captain Dyson Heppell is “tracking really well” as he continues a full training program after overcoming a foot injury.

“Dyson has been training really well and we’re really pleased with how he is progressing from that foot injury. He is a true professional and has put in a huge amount of work this pre-season to ensure his body feels good, so we’re pleased with his progression to date this pre-season," Mahoney said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cup_o_Jobe

Senior List
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
If Truck's plan is to dial back the "run and carry" stuff from defense and replace it with precision ball-use to kick our way through the zone, having the likes of Hepp back there makes a tonne more sense. He's a fairly reliable user of the ball when in a yard or two of space (which you often get on the HBF), and add him to Ridley and Francis back there, and you suddenly have three blokes that can clamp a contested mark and break lines by foot operating out of our defense. If we have decent pace on the wings and HF line to ensure there are always options presented upfield, could become a fairly potent setup.

EnolaGay

Premium Gold
Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
If Truck's plan is to dial back the "run and carry" stuff from defense and replace it with precision ball-use to kick our way through the zone, having the likes of Hepp back there makes a tonne more sense. He's a fairly reliable user of the ball when in a yard or two of space (which you often get on the HBF), and add him to Ridley and Francis back there, and you suddenly have three blokes that can clamp a contested mark and break lines by foot operating out of our defense. If we have decent pace on the wings and HF line to ensure there are always options presented upfield, could become a fairly potent setup.
Hepp is a good mark, not so sure about a great kick, a bit floaty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EnolaGay

Premium Gold
Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Look if that’s where he’s gonna play his best footy then good... but in terms of our much-talked about big midfielder issue, it’s a problem. He’s basically our biggest mid, after all.
But he's pretty battered though (and not the fish and chips type). It's probably a good move to at least get him on the field regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad