AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: National Draft Selection #8 - Dyson Heppell

He was number 5 on Emma Quayle's list.

"5. DYSON HEPPELL
(Gippsland Power, 18, 189cm, 80kg)
One of those players who seems to know — or decide — what will happen next. A tall onballer, he can get involved by sweeping the ball off half-back and carrying that involvement through the middle. Can read the ball well through the air, mark and knows what to do next with his long left-foot kick. An assured, grounded teenager who will be the best he can be.
Where will he be picked?
Probably by the Brisbane Lions at No. 5. Unlikely to get past Richmond if he's there at 6."

Give him a couple of years to build endurance and watch him in the midfield. Has all the tools to be an elite midfielder, absolute steal. Could end up the best from this draft.

Hmmmmm....not too sure what to think?!!

Was hoping for a genuine midfielder, not a hbf'er. Can we get more info on this kid?? Nice to see he was rated MVP. Hopefully he wont get re-injured with his OP / groin problems.

Welcome to the EFC young man!

He will be a versatile MIDFIELDER anyway, think having elite kicking skills into our forward 50- HEPPELL is exactly that! Think Hodge/Gilbee.

very interesting, gotta say i was hoping for caddy, atley or prestia, this is a massive surprise. Will he be able to become a genuine midfielder is my big question. Seems to be more of a HBF which I wouldn't have thought would be our priority. Echo those calls for Parker at 31, or Hallahan

Supprised Atley wasnt top 10 and we didnt grab him. I heard someone say that Heppell has good disposal so am happy with that though.

Give him a couple of years to build endurance and watch him in the midfield. Has all the tools to be an elite midfielder, absolute steal. Could end up the best from this draft.

Won't be as good as Swallow BUT he is a gun. Brisbane may kick themselves by overlooking Heppell!

Supprised Atley wasnt top 10 and we didnt grab him. I heard someone say that Heppell has good disposal so am happy with that though.

2nd best disposal in the draft!:thumbsu:

That is a fair assessment, but with his elite disposal its really upto him where he ends up on the list at the end of there careers. I honestly believe this kid can be anything. I never thought we would get him.

Welcome to the Bombers...hope you can take the mighty dons to a couple of Premierships :)

Sad about Atley though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I gave up getting him as I thought Brisbane and Richmond would not be stupid. But absolutely STOKED at getting HEPPELL. Rate the bloke so much especially at that range imo

Sounds pretty down to earth during the interview.

What are you basing this on? He came 2nd in the handball drill but you keep on refering to his footskills.

Im gonna reserve judgment on him till ive seen him play up close a few times but my initial thoughts are he wont be a midfielder or at least an elite mid at AFL level. Doesnt seem to win a lot of his own ball so i think most likely will stay as a back flanker which fills a need for us so not really fussed about the selction.

We've done well here. I think we'd have regretted not getting him if he got to pick 12 which he was rumoured to.

What are you basing this on? He came 2nd in the handball drill but you keep on refering to his footskills.

Im gonna reserve judgment on him till ive seen him play up close a few times but my initial thoughts are he wont be a midfielder or at least an elite mid at AFL level. Doesnt seem to win a lot of his own ball so i think most likely will stay as a back flanker which fills a need for us so not really fussed about the selction.

Have seen him play more than once this season. His skills are top class, his kicking is elite quality, just below Swallow. Whether he will be a full time mid, who knows, if he can be our Lindsay Gilbee/Hodge, we have got ourselves a gun!

He will be a versatile MIDFIELDER anyway, think having elite kicking skills into our forward 50- HEPPELL is exactly that! Think Hodge/Gilbee.

I've seen him play i think he has Sam Fisher written all over him. I'm wrapt to get Heppell, not so happy with the next pick??? if we had of got horlin-smith or parker then I think we would have filled 2 deficiencys in our midfield and backline......

I think we'll be all over Myles Sewell....

Loved his interview. Love his hair. Love him. He loves Essendon :thumbsu:

Agree. I'm excited with this kid and believe he will excel. As for everyone talking about roles and positions (not enough mids) remember these are still kids who have yet to finish growing.
These kids are still raw and what better teachers they will have than Hirdy, Bomber, ect.

Can't wait to watch their progress.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=7829
Essendon’s midfield stocks have been bolstered tonight with the Bombers selecting Dyson Heppell with the Club’s first pick (number 8 overall) at the AFL National Draft.

Recruited from the Gippsland Power, Heppell is a skilful left-footed medium defender with a penetrating kick, strength overhead and clean hands.

Essendon manager of personnel, Adrian Dodoro said the 189cm midfielder is in the mould of Hawthorn’s Luke Hodge.

“He is a bit like Luke Hodge in that he uses the ball really well, is extremely hard at the contest and can play multiple roles – defensive, midfield and forward,” Dodoro said.

“He is a left-footer with terrific leadership attributes and we see him being a 200-game player for the club.

“His crowning glory this year was the preliminary final where he was absolutely outstanding, had a 40-possession game and lifted the team over the line single-handedly.

“He is the sort of player that we think will be able to play AFL football from Round 1 next year.”

The 18-year-old shone in his appearances for Vic Country in the U18 Championships, winning MCP and All-Australian honours and averages 20 disposals and four tackles.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=7829

Remove this Banner Ad

Back