AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have suggested, it’s either in the middle or out of the side he’s that pigeon holed as a player now. Feel we need his leadership in a Ling kind of way & just hope he gets his foot right or else he’ll be redundant.

As strange as it sounds if he can’t have an impact this year he’s almost looking at retirement.

As others have suggested, it’s either in the middle or out of the side he’s that pigeon holed as a player now. Feel we need his leadership in a Ling kind of way & just hope he gets his foot right or else he’ll be redundant.

As strange as it sounds if he can’t have an impact this year he’s almost looking at retirement.

i wouldnt exactly call dysons leadership a need....

he its not the kind of captain that motivates other players to play better, like Jobe did.

if hes not earning his spot based on performance than he needs to go.

i wouldnt exactly call dysons leadership a need....

he its not the kind of captain that motivates other players to play better, like Jobe did.

if hes not earning his spot based on performance than he needs to go.

Yeah he’s not the inspritatinal lead that Jobe was, but his effort is unquestionable & he gets the ball going our way when fit. Does a lot of the heavy lifting & his midfield guidance is invaluable.

No question that it’s a big year for him though.

Yeah he’s not the inspritatinal lead that Jobe was, but his effort is unquestionable & he gets the ball going our way when fit. Does a lot of the heavy lifting & his midfield guidance is invaluable.

No question that it’s a big year for him though.

effort is one thing but if you are not getting results than that is different.

I give plenty of effort to my 5km runs at the gym, but i daresay reckon the output in pretty mediocre!

effort is one thing but if you are not getting results than that is different.

I give plenty of effort to my 5km runs at the gym, but i daresay reckon the output in pretty mediocre!

Lack of effort & attitude is a key reason why we’re s**t. We just fail to do the basics properly & our application over 4 qtrs is diabolical. It’s in this context where he can guide us because his work ethic is unconditional.....can’t say the same about any of our other mids.

Last edited:
He was badly missed tail end of ‘19 when we fell off a cliff and nearly missed the finals. His effort and performance to come back and play against Freo over there was huge. Dragged us into the finals.

Tracking well, in full training now.

Meanwhile, captain Dyson Heppell is “tracking really well” as he continues a full training program after overcoming a foot injury.

“Dyson has been training really well and we’re really pleased with how he is progressing from that foot injury. He is a true professional and has put in a huge amount of work this pre-season to ensure his body feels good, so we’re pleased with his progression to date this pre-season," Mahoney said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Truck's plan is to dial back the "run and carry" stuff from defense and replace it with precision ball-use to kick our way through the zone, having the likes of Hepp back there makes a tonne more sense. He's a fairly reliable user of the ball when in a yard or two of space (which you often get on the HBF), and add him to Ridley and Francis back there, and you suddenly have three blokes that can clamp a contested mark and break lines by foot operating out of our defense. If we have decent pace on the wings and HF line to ensure there are always options presented upfield, could become a fairly potent setup.

If Truck's plan is to dial back the "run and carry" stuff from defense and replace it with precision ball-use to kick our way through the zone, having the likes of Hepp back there makes a tonne more sense. He's a fairly reliable user of the ball when in a yard or two of space (which you often get on the HBF), and add him to Ridley and Francis back there, and you suddenly have three blokes that can clamp a contested mark and break lines by foot operating out of our defense. If we have decent pace on the wings and HF line to ensure there are always options presented upfield, could become a fairly potent setup.

Hepp is a good mark, not so sure about a great kick, a bit floaty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dare say the penetration on his kicking will return when playing behind the ball and not running himself ragged.

Look if that’s where he’s gonna play his best footy then good... but in terms of our much-talked about big midfielder issue, it’s a problem. He’s basically our biggest mid, after all.

But he's pretty battered though (and not the fish and chips type). It's probably a good move to at least get him on the field regularly.

Really don’t see any reason he should play HBF. If his body isn’t up to playing inside mid I don’t think he has a role at AFL level.

Yes he reads the play well but there is no way he is a damaging enough player to be given an offensive role at HBF.

what about a defensive HBF role

he can provide that

conserving energy and extracting handpasses out of packs to release runners / ball carriers

this is his new job

Remove this Banner Ad

Back