Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden.jpg

Errol Gulden
[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of finals, not a heap of flags in recent years.

If Errol wins a Brownlow AND a flag, I will gleefully withdraw my comment.

I just hope some goose of a producer doesn’t decide to play “Whoa Errol” as he hops up on stage.

Fair few flags in that list, a few teams that made minor premiers and more than enough top 4 teams (and if your top 4 you have a chance).

I would rather an all rounded midfield with multiple that can damage an opposition team than one with an out and out dominating gun. But multiple teams in that list have had the former.

Richmond - Martin, Cotchin Prestia and co
Geelong - At that time the midfield was the last thing that was an issue.
Freo - Had a great midfield in those years, Mundy, Neale and Fyfe.
Hawthorn - All rounded group, Mitchell deserves a lot of credit for getting votes with the players around him
Collingwood - Swan, Pendles, Beams and others
Carlton - Murphy, Gibbs and Judd
Geelong in 07 and 09 had one of the greatest midfield groups of all time, Similar with Brisbane in 01-03 and WCE in 04/05.

Players can win Brownlows in dominant teams.

But I think we could have too many vote getters in future years that could take away from potential winners if that makes sense.

Warner, Gulden, Mills, Heeney, Papley are all players that could be regular vote getters and this doesn't include the likes of Blakey, Stephens, McDonald and Rowbottom who each have traits that could lead to votes as well or the old guard in Parker.

Fully agree and although we all know he's just finished his second year I do sometimes forget it, simply because he is so smart, so level headed, so good.

Earlier in the season he was trying a few long kicks/passes that were too ambitious, which ended up being cut off by the opposition.
But he basically cut them out of his game and while still adventurous and willing to take the game on, he became more disciplined in his decision making.
A great sign of maturity and development.

I think for most (all?) of us it's a question of not if, but when, he makes it into the leadership group.

Onwards and upwards young Errol. :chartingup:
I doubt I'll be around to see it but I can totally see Errol as a Senior Coach down the track.

I actually hope he doesn’t win a Brownlow.

Brownlow are won by good players in otherwise ordinary sides.
Gulden will never win a Brownlow because they aren't given to players who actually make good things happen. Only to whoever has the biggest numbers or highlights.

I'll be quite content with Gulden winning none of the garbage individual accolades the AFL like to hand out, and then showing them to be the BS they are by having a minimum of four premiership medals instead. With maybe a few B&Fs in those premiership years, for good measure.

I think it's partly based exclusively on the players votes but the coaches/club decide things like how many there will be in the leadership group/captaincy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gulden plays predominantly midfield this year imo

Tipping a big year for him if he's around the contest more

Reckon he might get a run in my supercoach this year
I think so too. Love watching him play on the ball and outside. Plays so much bigger that what his size suggests. I don't think he'll predominantly play in the mids, but should get more minutes there. Judging by his preseason and pictures, it looks like he is progressing towards more time in the guts. [1460697649] Sydney Swans 2023 AFL Team Photo Day.jpg
I think he's a smokey option for supercoach/fantasy too, given his disp eff. Just needs to continue to accumulate more and more possessions.

Trying to prep my fantasy team, has there been much chit chat at the club and in the media about Gulden moving to the midfield or is it just chat on here?

Mine is two ladies but sadly I’m going to die without fulfilling that.

I did manage the rubbish one of with a mate but then I felt inadequate.

Strange place to discuss fantasy stuff though.

Don’t mind the Never Ending Story if you want to talk about that.

Trying to prep my fantasy team, has there been much chit chat at the club and in the media about Gulden moving to the midfield or is it just chat on here?

There has been talk of it on this board but I don't think there has been anything from the club. Certainly feels like he should get more midfield minutes this year though.

Feels a natural progression, but he's still so young, so maybe another season on the hff death train
There are a number of players potentially vying for that fifth spot (30-40% CBAs) in our midfield.

Last year Horse seemed to make Papley that player.

Some on this board want it to be Sheldrick.

Others think it could be Gulden. (I am among them, the clear best choice of the three IMO.) That's before you even get to Heeney, McInerney, maybe even Stephens who may end up rotating through there.

I would wait and see. Gulden as a forward can still score well, and if he starts having his inside minutes increased and scoring better, well then you've already secured him in your team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back