Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden.jpg

Errol Gulden
[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Illustrates the importance of the Swans academy (apart from the likes of Warner, Papley...).

Yep. It is much harder for other clubs to try and poach players like Heeney, Mills, Wicks, Campbell, Gulden, Bell etc than it is to poach other players we have as the above mentioned players have no go home factor to be preyed upon.

You're assuming that Florent kicked it to no-one, but when I see those sought of thing in the F50, I'm wondering who wasn't where they were supposed to be? and who didn't follow the plan?

It's not always the kickers fault when the ball goes to no-one in particular...

No, not an assumption - that was a description

of course its not _always_ the kickers fault

this instance, if its the same incident i recall from the last match it was indeed a shocking inside 50 and not the fault of teammates

No, not an assumption - that was a description

of course its not _always_ the kickers fault

this instance, if its the same incident i recall from the last match it was indeed a shocking inside 50 and not the fault of teammates
You may well be right about both those things... I saw the game on TV, so can't be sure either way...

Regardless, I've annoyed you, sorry... didn't mean to... probably doesn't help much, best I can do is apologise

I wrote this after we picked up Errol;

One of the football highlights of the year for me was from Errol late in the game v GWS academy, back in August.

Overall for the game IMO was already in our top two (with Thorne).
Last couple of minutes 4th qtr, by today's standards a heavy ground, Swans well ahead, ball up near side hbf.
Gulden wins the clearance, handballing out, ball transfers to the other side of the ground, stoppage at hff, Errol wins the stoppage, handballing out.

Drive, endurance, skill. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Today contest on the HFF, then raced backed to the centre square to cover off the switch and than sped back to spoil Bruce deep in the back pocket.

Oh and one or two decent kicks today as well.

Drive, endurance, skill. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

You may well be right about both those things... I saw the game on TV, so can't be sure either way...

Regardless, I've annoyed you, sorry... didn't mean to... probably doesn't help much, best I can do is apologise

so if you dont know why interject to term someones elses recollection an assumption

yep. forwards can mess up. but in this instance florent kicked it to the other team. nothing to do with his teammates.

Gulden's spoil against Bruce was huge. The bloke has 20cm on Errol, arms stretched out but Gulden bobs up to punch it away.

He delivered 3 pinpoint passes to Bud. Clearly making up for using Bud as a decoy last week.

Oh, Errol!

2667a2a1e0ba78c99f16c5ac0884a911.jpg

That stat for any player is impressive, let alone an 18 year old in his debut season. His ball use, intelligence and kicking skills are among the best I’ve seen from my time watching the Swans in the last 25 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, Errol!

That stat for any player is impressive, let alone an 18 year old in his debut season. His ball use, intelligence and kicking skills are among the best I’ve seen from my time watching the Swans in the last 25 years or so.

that would back up the eye test ... gulden always seems to find his forward targets, i remember that seemed something about him from his first game, and i'd argue it's as much his intelligence and vision as his kicking skills ...

Last edited:
Oh, Errol!

This is an 18 year old kid, in his first season, that went pick 32!!!!
Those three facts just blow my mind.

Mase posted this stat in the Round 18 thread, incredible isn't it?

This is an 18 year old kid, in his first season, that went pick 32!!!!
Those three facts just blow my mind.
Its the pick 32 that's the cracker. Every time some one whines I just go back through their picks and go you had 3 picks before us bucko and chose No.

You know I posted at the start of the year that I thought Gulden would have a bigger impact on this team than any other Academy player. I got a bit of criticism. Going too early etc. I have followed his progress over the last 5 years. Its funny that he doesn't look much. But what stood out to me was his impact on games.
I thought it was just his impact on games. I was wrong. It's how he also enables others by his accurate kicking, picking up that loose ball and getting it moving, the beautiful timed hand pass that lead to.....etc. The thing I like most apart from his decision making and precise skills is he stays in the game all game. Heeney is more brilliant and flashy. Campbell has attributes that Hawthorn coveted at pick 5 including a kick that is very impressive. But Gulden is omnipresent. Always in the game.

You know I posted at the start of the year that I thought Gulden would have a bigger impact on this team than any other Academy player. I got a bit of criticism. Going too early etc. I have followed his progress over the last 5 years. Its funny that he doesn't look much. But what stood out to me was his impact on games.
I thought it was just his impact on games. I was wrong. It's how he also enables others by his accurate kicking, picking up that loose ball and getting it moving, the beautiful timed hand pass that lead to.....etc. The thing I like most apart from his decision making and precise skills is he stays in the game all game. Heeney is more brilliant and flashy. Campbell has attributes that Hawthorn coveted at pick 5 including a kick that is very impressive. But Gulden is omnipresent. Always in the game.

he is indeed, and it's clear his impact on all those around him
i am very confident campbell will be held in similar regard at some point ... maybe not this season, but he will be a gun like gulden

he is indeed, and it's clear his impact on all those around him
i am very confident campbell will be held in similar regard at some point ... maybe not this season, but he will be a gun like gulden
I have no doubt that Cambell will be a star. Reminds me a bit of Hird. My point was different. I think that Gulden's impact on the team will be immense with his precise ball use, decision making and staying in the game and other attributes. Along with the precision kicking of especially Dawson and Campbell, along with others Sydney is well placed to dominate like the Hawthorn team of recent years. I know I'm going early again. But with Warner, JMac the future looks bright in the middle. In the next few years we need to get the talls sorted out though. Another young ruck. A big monster KPD and another good KPF.

I have no doubt that Cambell will be a star. Reminds me a bit of Hird. My point was different. I think that Gulden's impact on the team will be immense with his precise ball use, decision making and staying in the game and other attributes. Along with the precision kicking of especially Dawson and Campbell, along with others Sydney is well placed to dominate like the Hawthorn team of recent years. I know I'm going early again. But with Warner, JMac the future looks bright in the middle. In the next few years we need to get the talls sorted out though. Another young ruck. A big monster KPD and another good KPF.
don't forget Errol's blind turns :)

There are very few players who have that kind of impact. None to my knowledge at 18! Big difference in style but similar type of impact to Pendlebury. Not an accumulator but an ace user of the ball.
It will be interesting to watch just how Errol improves as he gains experience. His teammates already trust him.
He will be captain one day.

His spatial awareness is what sets him apart. He can find space but also judge space for others - not many of his kicks go to a 1-on-1 wrestle. They're generally to the players advantage.

That's normally something that comes with experience... he adjusted to the AFL game speed instantly. Serious footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back