[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
AFL website has re-ranked last years draft. Errol re-ranked to #1.
Interesting article. Re-ranked on averages. On total points Errol was so far in front it doesn't matter. He was clearly a highly influential team member over a large number of games. Many of the others saw far less game time.
Mature recruit (Pick 38) Rowe from Adelaide played a lot of games and ranked well as a defender.
Errol sure did come ready to play!

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
If you know what you know now and the following players were available in this years draft who would you pick first?
1. Errol Gulden
2. Will Phillips (Pick 2 2020)
3. Noah Anderson (Pick 2 2019)
4. Izak Rankine (Pick 3 2018)
5. Cam Rayner (Pick 1 2017)
6. Hugh McCluggage (Pick 3 2016)
7. Darcy Parish (Pick 5 2015)

If you know what you know now and the following players were available in this years draft who would you pick first?
1. Errol Gulden

We don't know anything now rusty. Most of them haven't even played 50 games yet so we have no idea what they could all go on to achieve. However I would pick Errol purely because he's a local.

Watched McCluggage in the Brisbane game today (round 1) and the commentators wanted to drop him.
This is the reason I thought about this post.

FWIW I think Anderson & Phillips will be absolute guns, and every bit as good as, if not better than, Errol. And I would throw Campbell in as well.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Errol Gulden
Probably the player I would place last on that list is Cam Rayner. Too early to call on Errol, Phillips and Anderson. Parish was a slow starter but has come good. Rankine has less impact on games than a lot of the others.
Overall probably McCluggage but he's had more time. Conservative choice.
In 5 years time it could easily be Anderson or Errol. Both really good footballers.
Errol's fast start means his contribution over those first 5 years could be a lot greater. Oh my!

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't feel comfortable rating kids so early on in their careers. Gulden has come out of the blokes swinging as one of the most complete players I've seen as a draftee, but that doesn't necessarily mean that growth will be constant or easy for him.

This goes back to what I've said in the Heeney thread, we've got one of the most exciting kids in Gulden, why compare and project. Enjoy what he is right now.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't feel comfortable rating kids so early on in their careers. Gulden has come out of the blokes swinging as one of the most complete players I've seen as a draftee, but that doesn't necessarily mean that growth will be constant or easy for him.

This goes back to what I've said in the Heeney thread, we've got one of the most exciting kids in Gulden, why compare and project. Enjoy what he is right now.
I know. But it is just interesting..

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Errol Gulden

not fussed about stats, but i think parish is one of the most overrated players in the league ... he's not a match-winning or team-carrying type, and is like a lot of essendon's high-rated midfielders in recent years, just never hurts a team with any consistency
i acknowledge he's looked better as the team around him has improved but still don't really rate him

1. Errol Gulden

1. McCluggage
2. Parish
3. Gulden
4. Rankine
5. Anderson
6. Rayner

Havent seen much of Phillips.

1. McCluggage
2. Parish
3. Gulden
4. Rankine
5. Anderson
6. Rayner

Havent seen much of Phillips.

I just love watching McCluggage play. Just a pure and smart player.

yeah, i do like mccluggage, he seems to get where the ball is almost by stealth ...
could do with better goalkicking but that'll come if he continues the way he is ... well, you'd hope

Unless the Brions jag a Premiership, I think the broader footy mob will under rate McCluggage.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
It's just interesting how he made it into the pick 30s
He was rated to go between 15-30. Footy IQ was always rated as high but he was known for pushing his kicks a bit too much resulting in turnovers.

Errol Gulden is a player who is not too far off the complete package in terms of ability. He ticks a lot of boxes, particularly for the role he plays, and whilst he can make some mistakes via foot, his overall impact, football IQ, athleticism and class stand out above all else. The one mitigating factor which sees Gulden rated lower than where he should be is that he stands at about 175cm.

He was rated to go between 15-30. Footy IQ was always rated as high but he was known for pushing his kicks a bit too much resulting in turnovers.

Errol Gulden is a player who is not too far off the complete package in terms of ability. He ticks a lot of boxes, particularly for the role he plays, and whilst he can make some mistakes via foot, his overall impact, football IQ, athleticism and class stand out above all else. The one mitigating factor which sees Gulden rated lower than where he should be is that he stands at about 175cm.

Makes sense when you think about it. Even in the back half of this year, I thought he was fluffing a lot more of his kicks than he was earlier in the season, to the point I thought he was Florent-like. In a draft class of however many dozens there are, if you have a few outings where you fluff too many of those kicks, it can be enough to bring you back to the pack a bit.

Luckily for us you take the good with the bad. You don't end up being a creative force by foot by just attempting safe, low-percentage kicks. Hawthorn's entire game plan used to unravel when one of their prime kicks made an uncharacteristic error, but they backed them in to get them right enough to make great things happen, and it won them three flags. Thankfully we have enough quality kicks in the side to not need Errol to always have his elite kicking boots on (albeit we just lost two of them...)

Back