Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden.jpg

Errol Gulden
[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, you're right ...
to me, florent was a slow but steady improver in an ordinary side until this season, now he's showing genuine silk in a rapidly improving team
he will be a key player in our next premiership team ... which, as i keep saying, is THIS team, it's just a matter of when

Silk? Now that’s going a bit far. Great to see him get back on the horse (no pun intended) after a few lean games.

Still bombs it too much on occasion for me. The upside outweighs this tendency, I think, but still has room to keep improving.

Florent should be starting to shred that reputation now. He is not always perfect but his kicking has improved markedly particularly inside 50.

Going at 74%de this year vs 58%, 67%, 65%, 68%.
His kick to advantage for Hayward's first goal was top notch.
Almost as good as Fox's drill to a leading Buddy.

Errol is 2nd in AFL Nation but their definition of rookie is debut this year
Edit - duplicate of Ticky009 post

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Errol meets #21 John Heriot (played 1958-1968)
John mentions the manual scoreboard - Did you know Max Papley as a boy worked the scoreboard
John also mentions wearing long sleeves, well done young Errol to wear long sleeves at Kardinia Park

Last edited:
Longmire must have been smiling throughout the entire draft period knowing he was getting an absolute steal in Gulden.

I hadn't seen anything of him prior to his debut game, the general consensus was that he was seen as the steak knives in the swans academy package with Braeden Campbell (I'm sure some supporters had better knowledge) but geez, from game one he has played like a composed 200-gamer... his decision making is elite already.

People talked about Logan McDonald being a steal at pick 4... but getting Gulden at pick 32 was the equivalent of horse driving a VW through the reserve bank, emptying the vault, flogging a couple of printing presses, then yanking a pen off the chain on his way out.

A year out Gulden had Campbell covered and was looking like a top 5 pick himself.

He dropped based on size... and probably a lack of hype. Should have gone in the teens, we got lucky. Maybe not quite the robbery you mention but it was definately a theft... probably more the low-end criminal variety though

A year out Gulden had Campbell covered and was looking like a top 5 pick himself.

He dropped based on size... and probably a lack of hype. Should have gone in the teens, we got lucky. Maybe not quite the robbery you mention but it was definately a theft... probably more the low-end criminal variety though

Like that little girl that paid for some Cadbury Chocolate with a few buttons.

I do feel that there was a degree to which both players should have gone more around the 10 mark. i think campbell was bid on too early and gulden too late

He slid because he played in AFL Sydney AKA the grave yard of footy, and was also short. Shows there are still some biases when it comes to local kids vs kids from Victoria.

I think had we not been able to match him we probably overlooked him ourselves and gone for someone else, like we did in picking Bolton and Fosdike over McVeigh and Hayes

I like Florent a lot, but I have a strong memory of him two days ago hoofing the ball into the forward 50 and it going straight to a West Coast player without a Swan in sight.

It isn't fair as it is just one play, but because I am looking for a bad kick from Florent it means when it happens I notice it more.
You're assuming that Florent kicked it to no-one, but when I see those sought of thing in the F50, I'm wondering who wasn't where they were supposed to be? and who didn't follow the plan?

It's not always the kickers fault when the ball goes to no-one in particular...

He slid because he played in AFL Sydney AKA the grave yard of footy, and was also short. Shows there are still some biases when it comes to local kids vs kids from Victoria.

I think had we not been able to match him we probably overlooked him ourselves and gone for someone else, like we did in picking Bolton and Fosdike over McVeigh and Hayes
The other bit is ..wait for it...the go home factor. Apparently both lads were high risk in heading back to NSW ASAP :eekv1::sneaky::grinv1::grinv1::grinv1::grinv1:

Absolutely I feel there are Vic biases infiltrating draft processes. He was MVP in the country at age 16 and for the life of me I couldn't understand how he could possibly have fallen off a cliff to draft time. Sometimes I think there is too much focus on attributes (eg height) than whether a kid can play.

Wicks was mvp in inter academy of his year but failed to make the allies in his year. And now he is best 22 in a team running 6th in afl after having come through back door. Wonder how many of those 50 made a list and are currently top 22? 3 or 4 maybe.

Absolutely I feel there are Vic biases infiltrating draft processes. He was MVP in the country at age 16 and for the life of me I couldn't understand how he could possibly have fallen off a cliff to draft time. Sometimes I think there is too much focus on attributes (eg height) than whether a kid can play.

Wicks was mvp in inter academy of his year but failed to make the allies in his year. And now he is best 22 in a team running 6th in afl after having come through back door. Wonder how many of those 50 made a list and are currently top 22? 3 or 4 maybe.
Seeing how WA, SA,QLD and NSW teams do their best to draft local kids the Vics also concentrate on theirs. The weight of numbers of kids, elite schools, elite competition, clubs, scouts etc but particularly media will end up with a Vic bias. With proper observation we would never have gotten Errol at 32. Or Warner at 39? Or Wicks and Papley as Rookies.

Seeing how WA, SA,QLD and NSW teams do their best to draft local kids the Vics also concentrate on theirs. The weight of numbers of kids, elite schools, elite competition, clubs, scouts etc but particularly media will end up with a Vic bias. With proper observation we would never have gotten Errol at 32. Or Warner at 39? Or Wicks and Papley as Rookies.
Illustrates the importance of the Swans academy (apart from the likes of Warner, Papley...).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back