Past Jack Maibaum - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the interview but I can already tell he is not going to be a player the Swans send to front press conferences.
He's a defender. No one interviews defenders:(:mad: And by the time they do he'll be much better.
Hell, Smooch is so good at what he does no one noticed him at all until 5 years after we recruited him.

At 90kg he seems ready to roll if needed.

I doubt a young KPD like Maibaum is ready to roll. Coming from the TAC cup he would have been manning up on kids as opposed to men. He will need some development time and training/playing against men. Players like Tippett/Buddy/Sinclair/Reid etc as opponents along with Reg/Rampe/Aliir/R. Shaw helping him out he has the perfect tutelage. So I doubt he is ready to roll, but would love to be proven wrong.

I doubt a young KPD like Maibaum is ready to roll. Coming from the TAC cup he would have been manning up on kids as opposed to men. He will need some development time and training/playing against men. Players like Tippett/Buddy/Sinclair/Reid etc as opponents along with Reg/Rampe/Aliir/R. Shaw helping him out he has the perfect tutelage. So I doubt he is ready to roll, but would love to be proven wrong.

There are a few examples in recent years of KPD defenders being drafted and coming straight into the first team. I mean Weitering‎ from this year is a perfect example but look at Johnson as well as he came into the side very quickly after being drafted and did a really solid job.

There are a few examples in recent years of KPD defenders being drafted and coming straight into the first team. I mean Weitering‎ from this year is a perfect example but look at Johnson as well as he came into the side very quickly after being drafted and did a really solid job.
They played as third talls though as opposed to a KPD. I don't know much about Maibaum, but from bios I read he is more of the traditional KPD ala D.Talia/Grundy as opposed to a Johnson/Weitering.

Though I am just going on what I have read with this kid as opposed to what people have seen him would know.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a defender. No one interviews defenders:(:mad: And by the time they do he'll be much better.
Hell, Smooch is so good at what he does no one noticed him at all until 5 years after we recruited him.
Might be a forward if buddy or Reid go down, touch wood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on Maibaum

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-01-19/learning-from-the-best

After playing mostly forward during his junior football, Maibaum’s switch to defence for his TAC Cup side Eastern Rangers paid dividends.

Selected for Vic Metro in the Under 18 Championships, Maibaum starred and earned All Australian honours as the full-back of the tournament.

The step up to AFL level has, however, been admittedly tough though Maibaum feels privileged to have the likes of Heath Grundy and Dane Rampe in his corner alongside a host of teammates who are only a tap on the shoulder away from some words of wisdom.

“Ramps sets a great example at training. He’s super loud – something I need to work on – and his approach at training is ruthless and that obviously translates to game day,” Maibaum added.

“Reg is a pro, he does everything right and knows the structure from back to front.

“They’re all qualities I want to replicate.

“Even the younger guys like Lewis Melican and Harry Marsh, they know their stuff and are always willing to help.

“It’s a group within a group. Every single one, no matter how young and inexperienced or older and experienced they are, they’re there if I need them.

“Pre-season is hard, probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done. But I’ve probably learned more in the past few months than I did over the last few years so I’m enjoying the challenge.”

Just keeping a watchful (awful word) eye over Maibaum.

For biased reasons, I hope he plays a bit this season.

Apparently he played well yesterday.

Didn't look out of place at all, certainly something to work with.

Didn't look out of place at all, certainly something to work with.
Exactly what you want in a defender too I reckon. Just quietly going about his business. No fanfare. No attention. Just getting his job done without messing up too badly too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back