Player Watch #21: Jacob Townsend - JJ Liston Medalist 2017

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
As a coach publicly you would question it and condemn Towner's actions! In private you would love him!
We all know what we get with Towner and had he started earlier on Dangerflop who knows what the outcome would have been...One thing's for sure DangerFlop would have been a lot sorer and edgier knowing Towner was around!
So Towner gets suspended...I could live with that...i'm sure Towner could too!
I couldn’t bc the game doesn’t condone thuggery anymore. It eventually becomes unsettling for the team as it gives no continuity in the long run. Also he gives away too many stupid free kicks which counteracts most of his good work. I don’t mind his close checking work with painful bumps and tackles, but he tends to lack control. Dangerfield cops close attention every week and he couldn’t give a damn about a heavyweight plodding tagger bc he will burn him on most occasions.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I couldn’t bc the game doesn’t condone thuggery anymore. It eventually becomes unsettling for the team as it gives no continuity in the long run. Also he gives away too many stupid free kicks which counteracts most of his good work. I don’t mind his close checking work with painful bumps and tackles, but he tends to lack control. Dangerfield cops close attention every week and he couldn’t give a damn about a heavyweight plodding tagger bc he will burn him on most occasions.
I'm not condoning thuggery...where did i say that?!? You and your strawman arguments!
I like Towner's physicality! I like his aggression at the ball player...i can live with a late hit if it's a beauty!
Well when he starts to burn Towner off it's time to put him on GAZ then...

Reckon he prepares himself every game with "I've gotta be hard, tough, physical etc." which is the wrong approach.
In his 5 games in 17, he booted about 15 goals from 20 odd kicks and that was from his attack at the ball.
He's not in our best 22, but deserves another shot.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I'm not condoning thuggery...where did i say that?!? You and your strawman arguments!
I like Towner's physicality! I like his aggression at the ball player...i can live with a late hit if it's a beauty!
Well when he starts to burn Towner off it's time to put him on GAZ then...
AFL hates any form of contact you’ve been suggesting on here and they’re hot on it. Towner was fined by them as it was. I was more suggesting that they think this is thuggery behaviour. In the end Danger was the highest rated player on the ground ( not all bc of Towner as he got a small run on him) and Towner was the lowest with 3 touches and 3 clangers bc he gave away 3 free kicks. He was a liability now go and do your homework on his game and cut your personal attacks and wasting everybody’s time .
We need ball winners atm not plodders or defensive short people. We are riddled with blokes who can’t get a kick bc they can’t get their hands on it first.
Gazza would be way too smart for him and it would be embarrassing. You’re arguments lack research and any form of nous.

Last edited:

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
AFL hates any form of contact you’ve been suggesting on here and they’re hot on it. Towner was fined by them as it was. I was more suggesting that they think this is thuggery behaviour. In the end Danger was the highest rated player on the ground ( not all bc of Towner as he got a small run on him) and Towner was the lowest with 3 touches and 3 clangers bc he gave away 3 free kicks. He was a liability now go and do your homework on his game and cut your personal attacks and wasting everybody’s time .
We need ball winners atm not plodders or defensive short people. We are riddled with blokes who can’t get a kick bc they can’t get their hands on it first.
Gazza would be way too smart for him and it would be embarrassing. You’re arguments lack research and any form of nous.
Go for it i'm not fussed...

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
When called to play in the Seniors at least Towner values the opportunity and steps up and gives it his all! Well done Towner, good hit on Dangerflop!
Stepped up to snatch three touches, a late hit and bugger all else! Time to move on!
That mentality will not win us games as it showed. All it will achieve in the long run is him being suspended or fined.
In theory what you’re saying sounds great, but it fails in practice.
Meathead mentality and not sure why this poster has brought it up a half dozen times??? While Towner is delivering late hits and racking up fines, Danger’s helping himself to wins and Brownlow votes. Towner can’t keep up and returning him to the same role he failed at pre August-September would be a nightmare!

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
100 per cent spot on. Towner was worst on ground, some 10 lengths behind the second worst player in ground. Three touches, three clangers being viewed as an acceptable outing is nonsense!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Stepped up to snatch three touches, a late hit and bugger all else! Time to move on!

Meathead mentality and not sure why this poster has brought it up a half dozen times??? While Towner is delivering late hits and racking up fines, Danger’s helping himself to wins and Brownlow votes. Towner can’t keep up and returning him to the same role he failed at pre August-September would be a nightmare!

But he only delivered one late hit and one punch...Towner really ought to have been started in the guts come that 2nd and 3rd Q's...
He's a foot soldier and he can deliver hard bumps...we are not expecting Brownlow winning plays from him...put him where he can do the most damage!
He get's a fine...big deal! At least Dangerflop knew he was around! In my book you pick him you use him where he can do the most hurt!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
100 per cent spot on. Towner was worst on ground, some 10 lengths behind the second worst player in ground. Three touches, three clangers being viewed as an acceptable outing is nonsense!
Towner was not on his lonesome he fitted right in with the rest of the team in those 2 and 3 Q's...at least he had a go and i applaud him for that!
We needed some grunt in the mid field and he should have been started in the center 2/3 Q's or trialed with a hard tag on Gaz...nada...by the time he was moved it was all over. So he did'nt win Brownlow votes for his game, big deal! No loss...and i still reckon Dangerflop was aware Towner was around!

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
Towner was not on his lonesome he fitted right in with the rest of the team in those 2 and 3 Q's...at least he had a go and i applaud him for that!
We needed some grunt in the mid field and he should have been started in the center 2/3 Q's or trialed with a hard tag on Gaz...nada...by the time he was moved it was all over. So he did'nt win Brownlow votes for his game, big deal! No loss...and i still reckon Dangerflop was aware Towner was around!
Bit hard to change someones mind who has pre conceived opinions of players and only looks at stats post game to see what impact he had lol

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
As much as I love the guy, his time has come. I'd bring Chol in this week and drop Towner.

Bringing in Chol does 2 things ... gives Soldo a hand in the ruck and secondly he can be used forward. Means we can also keep Balta as a utility around the ground to play down back or swing forward.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
But he only delivered one late hit and one punch...Towner really ought to have been started in the guts come that 2nd and 3rd Q's...
He's a foot soldier and he can deliver hard bumps...we are not expecting Brownlow winning plays from him...put him where he can do the most damage!
He get's a fine...big deal! At least Dangerflop knew he was around! In my book you pick him you use him where he can do the most hurt!
Yes and come Brownlow night you’ll know Dangerflop was around too when he and Ablett poll the 3 and 2 votes and no one gave a ..... about one inconsequential late hit!

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Bit hard to change someones mind who has pre conceived opinions of players and only looks at stats post game to see what impact he had lol
Lol .... the stat sheet only confirmed what my eyes saw that he had zero impact and was barely near it all night. He will be duly dropped this week ... again my eyes could tell me that. But let JL continue to celebrate the fact he got one late, illegal hit on a guy who was in the top two players on the ground!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Yes and come Brownlow night you’ll know Dangerflop was around too when he and Ablett poll the 3 and 2 votes and no one gave a ..... about one inconsequential late hit!
Might have been more inconsequential Dangerflop and GAZ late hits if Towner was moved earlier...love your work Towner!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Didn’t realise I was conversing with an infant!
benny hill wtf.gif

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Didnt have the best game against geelong but one thing i know about towner is he will sacrifice his own game for the team . Our system isnt working at the moment cause other players carnt or wont stick to their roles because of lack of workrate and running capacity. Injuries are killing us atm.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Didnt have the best game against geelong but one thing i know about towner is he will sacrifice his own game for the team . Our system isnt working at the moment cause other players carnt or wont stick to their roles because of lack of workrate and running capacity. Injuries are killing us atm.
I think we need to try a 2nd tall fwd. Like Chol, given that CJ is injured. Towners main job was fwd pressure/alternative marking target. Which didn't work. (nor did he have much impact in the middle) I'd try Chol a genuine tall. 1) who can mark. And 2) provide ruck back up. And it is more like the set up will be when JR returns. Hopefully Caddy improves. But there's already too many under performing players to carry Towner.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
On TV I didn't notice. Did Towner help Lynch much?

As much as I love the guy, his time has come. I'd bring Chol in this week and drop Towner.

Bringing in Chol does 2 things ... gives Soldo a hand in the ruck and secondly he can be used forward. Means we can also keep Balta as a utility around the ground to play down back or swing forward.

This board doesnt have much time for Chol but I have wanted him in for over a month. Makes no sense trialing blokes like Towner as a second tall with Chol in the ressies FFS

Lynch didnt help Lynch his lack of workrate is not alowing the forward line to work i guess hes not fit enough for the reiwolt role atm .i reckon towner tried .

And still should have kicked 5 against the best defense of the year. Cant wait for him to get fit again and welcome jack back

Back