Player Watch #21: Jacob Townsend - JJ Liston Medalist 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way I can see Towner fitting into this side and contributing, is as a fwd. Unfortunately early last season he stopped holding his grabs and the goals dried up pretty quickly. He's nowhere near good enough to play in the guts imo

The only way I can see Towner fitting into this side and contributing, is as a fwd. Unfortunately early last season he stopped holding his grabs and the goals dried up pretty quickly. He's nowhere near good enough to play in the guts imo

And being not good enough to play in the guts is what led to him being a forward in the first place.

He was a bit of an unknown for the oppo in 2017 but I reckon they know how to deal with him now.
The lack of pace stops him from becoming an option up fwd, getting to space quickly enough.
Can’t fault his commitment unfortunately just can’t see us winning a flag if he is best 22 but he’ll always be a hero for that 2017 run.

It's Steven Morris all over again. You'd want 22 blokes to attack the ball (and opposition) like Towner but sadly his lack of raw talent is being exposed now.

Fingers crossed they keep him in this week so he can finish the job on the Crouch boys. A fitting send off.

Towner has'nt played in the seniors for a while now, expect it takes a game or two to pick up the pace which is different with the ressies.
Coupled with that he's coming back from a break in his leg...may have impacted on his pre-season fitness...
Against geelol Towner would have been playing with guys he's not use to playing with so everything would have been a tad strange for him...
If he's picked this week which i expect, i reckon he's going to kill crows!

Last edited:
It's Steven Morris all over again. You'd want 22 blokes to attack the ball (and opposition) like Towner but sadly his lack of raw talent is being exposed now.

Fingers crossed they keep him in this week so he can finish the job on the Crouch boys. A fitting send off.
The Steven Morris comparison is fitting.

Lol .... the stat sheet only confirmed what my eyes saw that he had zero impact and was barely near it all night. He will be duly dropped this week ... again my eyes could tell me that. But let JL continue to celebrate the fact he got one late, illegal hit on a guy who was in the top two players on the ground!
he bumped Danger 3 times, all legal, which makes me wonder if you watched the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor call getting dropped, deserved another game.

Team loses by 67 odd points, how do you expect a forward in for their first game to go?

Poor call getting dropped, deserved another game.

Team loses by 67 odd points, how do you expect a forward in for their first game to go?
I love the bloke and the way he plays but the reality is he’s played his last game.

He was lucky to get on the list last year and was probably more due to the fact he's a premiership player. With all our injuries he's still well below what is left, so i reckon it's all over for him . Well done to him for what he achieved in 2017 and nobody can take that away from him.

Well, tell your mate Jak, who keeps celebrating his 'late hit on Dangerflop' and has told all and sundry about it on 10 occasions.
Regardless, what Townsend dishsed up last Friday was unacceptable. Ordinary by any standards.

I think you just learned that secretly Hardwick doesn’t value late hits on blokes and guys who can’t get their hands on the pill. Can never be taken away from him - his premiership - but his time in the AFL is over and was last year!

Starting to get the feeling Woody takes exception to Towner's late hit on Danger. Could be wrong though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back