Player Watch #21: Jacob Townsend - JJ Liston Medalist 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely this was his last AFL chance.
Feels like the most journeyman 62 games of our time...thoroughly deserves to be a premiership player and life member.
I suppose just returning to the 99% of other footballers who aren't good enough for the top level.
But what is remarkable is boy, did he eke out absolutely every last scrap of his potential/opportunities.
I too loved his bravery and toughness (rag dolling so called "fists of fury" Lever is still a thing of beauty to watch).
But most of all that he taught himself to be an accurate goalkicker, who could deliver at the clutch (NO YIPS), with what was a less than perfect kick ("he understands his own kick very well").
Wishing him all the best for the future.

Don't get me wrong, he is a limited player... so it's not a big surprise.

But his hardness and toughness is exactly what GC need. It's the one thing GWS did at the start better than GC, had older, hardened experienced players hide/support the young ones.

Brogan, old mate McDonald from Melbourne, and Luke Power... not superstars at that stage, but enough to protect the kids, GC just keep feeding the kids to the wolves.

They should have kept him out there for another year IMO

Despite his only 60 odd games, lets pause and celebrate Jacob's possible influence on the current generation of AFL players.
Jacob has been at 4 clubs now?
How many young men have played alongside him and been a close witness at training and on game day to his ferociously hard but fair attitude to the game?
His ABSOLUTE team first, take no prisoners, tackle hard regardless of size attitude?
I suspect he has influenced more young players than any of us realise.
(This is just my take on a player I will forever love for what he gave to the tigers)

Despite his only 60 odd games, lets pause and celebrate Jacob's possible influence on the current generation of AFL players.
Jacob has been at 4 clubs now?
How many young men have played alongside him and been a close witness at training and on game day to his ferociously hard but fair attitude to the game?
His ABSOLUTE team first, take no prisoners, tackle hard regardless of size attitude?
I suspect he has influenced more young players than any of us realise.
(This is just my take on a player I will forever love for what he gave to the tigers)
He has had 161 different team-mates across his ten years and 62 games. Current players (2021) with the most teammates are Ryder (196 teammates, 269 games), Betts (190, 350), Stefan Martin (188,199) and Burgoyne (188, 400+).

He has had 161 different team-mates across his ten years and 62 games. Current players (2021) with the most teammates are Ryder (196 teammates, 269 games), Betts (190, 350), Stefan Martin (188,199) and Burgoyne (188, 400+).
Those are the kind of stats that make people like D.King and B.McAvaney wake up in a sweat pitching a tent under the doona. Nice work (googling or otherwise).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back