Player Watch #21: Jacob Townsend - JJ Liston Medalist 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Bang on the money here, when we were a bit behind the 8 ball he started to throw his body around and crunched them.
Was crunching in the right way too. Laying massive hits like that rather than the Richmond way of a few years back which was based around Vickery knocking out opposition ruckmen and Conca belting blokes from behind

Bang on the money here, when we were a bit behind the 8 ball he started to throw his body around and crunched them.
Thought he and Cotchin were immense when the game needed to be swung.
I have hope this guy could improve to a level just below elite and be a real gun hard at it inside body ramming mid who can go forward .

Was crunching in the right way too. Laying massive hits like that rather than the Richmond way of a few years back which was based around Vickery knocking out opposition ruckmen and Conca belting blokes from behind

The sort of stuff that lifts team mates and makes the oppo sweat. The best was when he did a rugby spear tackle (lifted the legs of the opposition player) in the center square. Gave a way a kick but the intent was there. Love him

Tex, Jenkins, Sauce... the crows have some seriously big units and they all sat back like stunned mullets and didn't even look to try and intimidate us lol

Weak as piss!

The moment Towno crunched Crouch was the moment I knew we were going to win. Changed the game 100% and elevated Towno into Tiger folklore.
He’s a physically scary bastard with an innocent face. He caught a lot of blokes by surprise. Kudos to Dermie who said after the Freo game that he’s the right sort of player you need to win you a flag.
Congratulations to Towno as I had him written off as a player. Obviously he was always a forward rather than a midfielder. Pretty smart of him to tell the coaches he wanted a stint in the forward line after realising he wasn’t going to get a gig in the middle.

The moment Towno crunched Crouch was the moment I knew we were going to win. Changed the game 100% and elevated Towno into Tiger folklore.

Certainly the game, i was lucky enough to be there and even from afar it was obvious his intent, i wouldnt say i knew we had won at that moment as from memory we were trailing but i thought it was brilliant and i agree after that tackle our players seemed to follow the intent and we really lifted.

Great game from Towno, couple of massive hits and he kicks straight, that is just so important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just shows you when you have players all completely committed to their role and are confident in the game plan, amazing things can happen. Towner found a position that plays completely to his strengths and a team that prided itself on players who never give up.

I love the way Townsend found a way. After so long fighting for his chance to play on the big stage, he could have easily resolved himself that his time had come and gone. Instead, he reinvented himself. He saw a need - as a backup to Caddy - and when his chance came he took it both hands and clung on with the same intensity that he does to an opposition player in a tackle. I admire him for that and hope he stays in our forwardline for many years to come.

I bet he only asked for one year, seems like the type who wouldn't want to get complacent and does his best work under pressure

If we’re paying him by the kick, we’re paying too much.

If we’re paying him by the goal, we’ve got him for unders.
Only he needs to kick it to score a goal, so you're saying we've broken even?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back