Player Watch #21: Jacob Townsend - JJ Liston Medalist 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Should not have rookie listed a player we dont see as part of our future , The club played it safe and kept him due to depth but our game plan has passed him by and wont /shouldnt play another game for richmond.

He can't find the ball because he has no speed. We love our battlers, but he is far from our best 22 so why not play those that might be next year. If he was quick he would be a good player because he uses the ball well.

Like most Tiger supporters I love Townsend. His conduct and performance in the 2017 GF and the matches leading up to it typified the spirit that took us to that premiership. More than typified really, in certain physical respects in particular, he led the way. I think ultimately he is not going to be "making it" at AFL level, and thought he was a natural delist at the end of last season. The club did the decent thing in A) trying to find him a new home, and B) keeping him for another year when nobody else took him up. He was always going to pay his way as a VFL player making opponents jump at shadows and our younger players walk taller. I applaud the club for keeping him for the extra year but all parties will understand the lay of the land. The way he has been treated tells all Richmond players, you give us your best and we will look after you. And that is a message worth sacrificing one list spot for one year for. It would be brilliant if he could somehow stay as a VFL player for Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i Know that...he was'nt fast in 2017 he's not fast in 2019....but he can crunch...
He's had a few stints since and not really done anything much. Just got lucky with timing and form like a few others in that team. You should be measured as a player by what you do in losing teams as much as if not more than winning teams.

He's had a few stints since and not really done anything much. Just got lucky with timing and form like a few others in that team. You should be measured as a player by what you do in losing teams as much as if not more than winning teams.
I'll go along with Towner's hit on Dangerflop...good enough for me currently...i want to see some fight, urgency and desire to be in the seniors...

He hasnt been AFL standard at all during his career
He pretty much kick started our flag campaign with a big bag of goals against Freo away when we were desperate for another key forward and was fantastic every game,kicked a few in the grand final also.

Poor form bagging this bloke.

Also, it's easy to be hyper critical against him when we just got absolutely done. He is the type of player who can fulfill his role in a good side. We aren't a good side at the moment.

I'd still love to see him get more games from here to the end of the season.

I think we need to play him as a hard tagger if we're gonna use him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We tried that when we first got him to be Cotchin’s bodyguard and it went pear shaped. We also can’t have both him and Graham doing the same Roles as this would make us snail paced . We need brute ball winning ability in the guts to give our forwards a go.

Last edited:
I'll go along with Towner's hit on Dangerflop...good enough for me currently...i want to see some fight, urgency and desire to be in the seniors...
That mentality will not win us games as it showed. All it will achieve in the long run is him being suspended or fined.
In theory what you’re saying sounds great, but it fails in practice.

That mentality will not win us games as it showed. All it will achieve in the long run is him being suspended or fined.
In theory what you’re saying sounds great, but it fails in practice.
As a coach publicly you would question it and condemn Towner's actions! In private you would love him!
We all know what we get with Towner and had he started earlier on Dangerflop who knows what the outcome would have been...One thing's for sure DangerFlop would have been a lot sorer and edgier knowing Towner was around!
So Towner gets suspended...I could live with that...i'm sure Towner could too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back