Player Watch #2: Jacob van Rooyen – re-signed until 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

What are we basing JVR being able to play KPD off? It’s a pointless discussion he isn’t going to play there when our KPF depth is so bad and he literally hasn’t trained there.
he played a lot of junior footy there as well as some under 18 championship games there where he looked amazing.

I never said JVR should play back next season. People misinterpret what I'm saying.

You realise both of those statements are true?

Just because JVR is better than Ben Brown doesn't mean he isn't a better defender. It doesn't take much to be better than Ben Brown or Weideman. Also, I love how you say 'never played senior football' and ignore the fact that he's played a lot of footy as a defender. JVR joined melbourne as a teenager. how much senior experience would you expect him to play? lol

Tom McDonald was a forward when he was drafted. Ballarat's AFL draft hopefuls: Tom McDonald

Yet he spent the first 6 years of his career playing in the backline despite 'never playing senior football there'.
My point is that you realistically can't make the concrete assertion that he's a better defender when the only senior-level football he's played is as a forward. There's no way you can assess that without exposed form.

My point is that you realistically can't make the concrete assertion that he's a better defender when the only senior-level football he's played is as a forward. There's no way you can assess that without exposed form.
I don't disagree. Obviously when I say 'JVR is a better defender' I mean 'In my opinion, he will become a better defender than a forward'. I could be wrong. But on the flip side people also couldn't say that he is a better forward than a defender just because he's been playing forward I the vfl. That really does mean next to nothing.

...? I didn't realise JVR was proven at afl level. how many goals has he kicked?

Also, he's a better defender in my opinion.
Agreed it was the right decision to play proven forward Ben Brown over him.

I don't disagree. Obviously when I say 'JVR is a better defender' I mean 'In my opinion, he will become a better defender than a forward'. I could be wrong. But on the flip side people also couldn't say that he is a better forward than a defender just because he's been playing forward I the vfl. That really does mean next to nothing.

Its going to be a long offseason if you keep this type of crap up.

A word salad of nothingness.

homer simpson GIF

We were at 10-0 and I was very critical of our form. Scraping wins over Essendon, Kangaroos, Hawthorn, Gold Coast, and being unable to score against a west coast reserves team. Not to mention losing the 2nd half to a Port Adelaide team that was a bottom 4 team at the time. At 10-0 I was laughed at for my views just like you are now.

You say 'this type of rubbish' all you like but the only rubbish I heard during the season was supporters' inabilities to analyse how our team is playing and not wait for the end of the season to realise that the mistakes/vulnerabilities were there all along. JVR should've come in around Round 8 and not looked back.

We were at 10-0 and I was very critical of our form. Scraping wins over Essendon, Kangaroos, Hawthorn, Gold Coast, and being unable to score against a west coast reserves team. Not to mention losing the 2nd half to a Port Adelaide team that was a bottom 4 team at the time. At 10-0 I was laughed at for my views just like you are now.

You say 'this type of rubbish' all you like but the only rubbish I heard during the season was supporters' inabilities to analyse how our team is playing and not wait for the end of the season to realise that the mistakes/vulnerabilities were there all along. JVR should've come in around Round 8 and not looked back.

WTF? Absolutely none of this has anything to do with the post I quoted. Can we stick to the subject at hand rather than you randomly going off on a self promotion tangent for once in your life?

Go have a bex and lie down. Jesus Christ.

WTF? Absolutely none of this has anything to do with the post I quoted. Can we stick to the subject at hand rather than you randomly going off on a self promotion tangent for once in your life?

Go have a bex and lie down. Jesus Christ.
I was on topic. I said JVR was a defender. Others brought it off topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was on topic. I said JVR was a defender. Others brought it off topic.

It's a rubbish take, youre just being a contrarian for the sake of being one. The guy just kicked 36 goals playing against grown men in his first season and you randomly say he's a better defender out of nowhere. What is wrong with you? You do realise it's much harder to kick goals against men than it is against under 18s, like all the players that you fawn over and say we must draft.

It's a rubbish take, youre just being a contrarian for the sake of being one. The guy just kicked 35 goals playing against grown men in his first season and you randomly say he's a better defender out of nowhere. What is wrong with you? You do realise it's much harder to kick goals against men than it is against under 18s, like all the players that you fawn over and say we must draft.
I'm happy with his development so far but that doesn't mean he won't turn into a defender down the track. And do a reverse Tom Mcdonald.

Way over the top to say 'what is wrong with you?' just because I think JVR is a guy who, if you followed his junior career, is a known switch man.

No need to get personal.

Also I'm not sure how I'm being a contrarian..I've literally been yelling from the rooftops for JVR to replace Brown up forward since about round 6.

People are also wanting Petty to play forward next year based off 5 minutes of data. I have no issues with people wanting this.

I'm happy with his development so far but that doesn't mean he won't turn into a defender down the track. And do a reverse Tom Mcdonald.

Way over the top to say 'what is wrong with you?' just because I think JVR is a guy who, if you followed his junior career, is a known switch man.

No need to get personal.

Also I'm not sure how I'm being a contrarian..I've literally been yelling from the rooftops for JVR to replace Brown up forward since about round 6.

People are also wanting Petty to play forward next year based off 5 minutes of data. I have no issues with people wanting this.

Personal? Over "what is wrong with you" ? Yeah, go ahead hit the report button mate like you always do. What is wrong with you? 😂

Only 25 short weeks until Ben Brown runs out at full-forward in Round 1 :rainbow:

Every KPP selected is described as a swingman on draft night. No one really knows what they'll be until they get stuck into an AFL program.
On draft night every player selected in the first 30-40 picks is a 200 game future superstar who has it all. Using draft night hype ups as the basis of your argument really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

On draft night every player selected in the first 30-40 picks is a 200 game future superstar who has it all. Using draft night hype ups as the basis of your argument really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Bet they were pretty hyped on the Weid when he was selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back