Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

tumblr_lihjjjgSbd1qg1naao1_250.gif

Could someone attach Jy's face to this for me..... LOL

Quoted from the autopsy thread after the Rd 5 game against Freo at Subiaco. Jy's fourth game.

Simpkin was unbelievable. Running off the checklist: [x] no footy last year, [x] barely any pre-season, [x] coming off a severely broken leg, [x] weighs barely anything wringing wet, [x] four games into his career, [x] zero penetration on his kicks due to the leg injury. And he's a star. A genuine star.

I scoffed in amazement at about six things he did last night, including but not limited to the four candy shop visits in one play, the perfectly weighted leading kick to Garner after realising he didn't have the leg to make it from 45 and taking about 0.5 seconds to make his decision on where to go next, the little jab to Fyfe's guts (Simpkin is a little prick and it's glorious), and the sharp little things he does like spinning in the right direction to end up on his preferred foot. The goal was all class.

The kid is a star and I don't think we fully realise yet how good he has the potential to be. I'm bloody excited to watch footy just because I know there's a chance I'll see something special from him. I understand now why Hawthorn fans are so high on Rioli and why Adelaide fans love Eddie Betts and why Carlton fans used to go to the footy to see Fevola. We've got our own version and it's going to be extraordinary to watch his next 10 years of development. It is also concerning that just four games into his career, he's easily our most exciting young prospect.

Thought this was worth preserving for posterity FG.

without raining on the parade particularly
he had 12 touches kicked a goal

with Wags and Ando watching on....

I'm guessing we just keep playing him, yes?

without raining on the parade particularly
he had 12 touches kicked a goal

with Wags and Ando watching on....

I'm guessing we just keep playing him, yes?

Wags has never kicked a goal, Simpkin kicks one a game.

Anderson is a mild fielder.

With Thomas about to be dropped, yes we keep playing him (with the occasional week off to manage him).

Wags has never kicked a goal, Simpkin kicks one a game.

Anderson is a mild fielder.

With Thomas about to be dropped, yes we keep playing him (with the occasional week off to manage him).
Jy is hot sauce.

Don't want any of that mild s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the Bont doing a few duck and weaves on the boundary in his first year and then kicking a goal from the boundary. I remember thinking he will be a star with that sort of agility.

Jy has more

Last edited:
The way I see it if he had kicked either of those goals in the Dogs or Freo games they would have been goal of the year.. In his 3rd & 4th games. Imagine when he finally kicks one of them.

Absolutely massive potential.

I think he just got carried away with all the shimmying in that gif.

Its kind of understandable tho, he's a kid in his 4th game of senior footy, why wouldn't he try every trick he's got while he can? Imagine stepping inside Sandi to kick that goal after making 4 freo players look like s**t. What a rush.

At some point he's gonna do that and someone will nail him at the hips and drill him into the ground
Agree with all this.

Thats why my nick name is Lid....keep a lid on it...all that Candy talk makes me sick....the pressure and tagging is yet to come...lets not let expectations get ahead of reality.
And this aswell but i know it's hard to keep the lid for all of us.

Very high cojones factor with this kid. Has no fear on most occasions and does some subtle things that are just classy.
One was that deft sideways chip to a teammate off half back to switch the play, most other guys would've missed the target.
I reckon Garner, Simpkin and Wood are the three young guys with that special something.

Anyone else remember Wellsy's coming out party, when he took Hawthorn to the cleaners? Had 30+ touches, kicked a couple of goals and was BOG by a country mile. Like Jy he was a 19 and a bit years old, although in his second season and 35th game.

Then there was JWS' coming out party in the final, also against Hawthorn. 27 touches from half back. 2 weeks shy of his 21st birthday, in his 24th game.

Jy is the first young player since either of them where I get the feeling that some time in the next year he is going to go bang and just take over a match. He was again incrementally better this week, adding midfield involvement and composure to his game.

(And sorry Gaso, this is the closest I can get to keeping a lid on it re: Jy....you can't deny he has something special about him).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back