Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres 10 odd weeks left in the season - I doubt we wont see him again because hes not ready for the dreaded 2 weeks. I absolutely want to see him play as much as possible this year

Back through the VFL this week???

Bollocks. Straight in.

"Brad came over at training and shook my hand saying "well done son, you're debuting this week."

I didn't want to come across like a smartarse but I said "I actually debuted in round 1 and I'm just coming back from a 6 week shoulder injury".

He didn't say anything, he stood there in his black training jacket, nodding slowly and then asked "are you a coach?" - I said "no".

Then he asked "well are you a sports scientist then?" - I said "no".

Then he said "well why don't you just leave the coaching and the sports science to me and you concentrate on calling your mum and telling her the great news?"

I said that I would and he seemed happy with that."

I'd like to see him get a good 3 or 4 games in a row at VFL level before being considered at AFL level.
why? you wouldnt bring Doriemus back in a Moe race meeting.
brad says-
For a youngster like Jy Simpkin, Scott says his position lends itself to a quicker promotion to AFL level.

“A small-forward is not being asked to physically compete like a midfielder or key-forward or key-back would be asked to,” he said.

“His (Simpkin’s) size or strength is not such an issue as it would be if you were playing midfield.

best news of the week for mine.

Shoulders aren't worth rushing.
just as much chance of copping one in the magoos.

Last edited:
why? you wouldnt bring Doriemus back in a Moe race meeting.

He will be better in the long run for it.
He's played about 6 games of footy since 2015, i think it would be good for him to rack up some possessions and regain a good fitness base at the lower level before being exposed to AFL again.

He will be better in the long run for it.
He's played about 6 games of footy since 2015, i think it would be good for him to rack up some possessions and regain a good fitness base at the lower level before being exposed to AFL again.

Katamatite Valley supports your pov 100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has it.

In spades.

And all the other suits as well just quietly.
Another Wells.
You just want it in his hands all the time because of how the play opens up before him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back