Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was lucky to be best 22 let alone "break out" prior to this season. This season looked better before injured (but still off elite quality)
Really?

Earned his spot completely in 2014.

So you are suggesting Scott has no idea because LMac hasn't played there yet? (probably right)

Nice edit, I'm for what moves us forward the fastest.

I didn't suggest no idea I merely stated the fact that Luke has been made to play a role within a game plan that has come up short. A role that saw him top 3 in the rising star.

That saw his courage and desire there on his sleeve.

He needs to move into the midfield where he is less role player and more natural footballer. This has to happen this coming year

Brady Rawlings was an absolute elite stopper.

I mean he was one of the best in the league at tagging.

He could play backline, but he looked completely different there and his poor skill execution shone though.

Position can make all the difference in the world.

Bont, Cripps these players have been given the opportunity to play midfield. Luke will shine when this is allowed.

So it all clicks together for Luke if he plays midfield?

and the point went straight through to the keeper.

Not at all mate. You're clearly worried that we spent a high pick on a kid whose skills and attributes didn't warrant it. Which is fair enough. On exposed form his strongest attribute is his one on one defending, which is probably the best at the club atm. Having said that he has a lot of room to improve and, given his attitude, I'd be surprised if he didn't get everything out of himself. His elite kicking was always a myth, he is a long kick and people tend to confuse long with great. I'd love to see what he could do in the midfield, I can imagine he'd be a great contested ball winner, and that's where he played his best footy as a junior.

Right at this moment you're probably right to be disappointed. And to be honest I will be disappointed too if what he is now is what he stays the rest of his career. But he is only 22 and will improve.

The position he plays is irrelevent....I'm still waiting to see this elite kicking and hitting targets that everyone was on about.

You take away all the bells'n'whistles associated with Luke ie Father/Son gun, Captain of U18 team, rave reviews with Werribee form and the hype on this board drafting this kid......what have we got? Did we invest pick 8 on a lock down defender with just heart/determination? You can find an abundance of those types in the draft.

Gotta call it how it is.
We're left with a player that was in the top 2-3 of his draft class in his debut year who had an understandably poor second season and then proceeded to have an excellent year in his third season until he suffered what was effectively a season ending injury.

There is absolutely no problem with Luke's development trajectory.

We're left with a player that was in the top 2-3 of his draft class in his debut year who had an understandably poor second season and then proceeded to have an excellent year in his third season until he suffered what was effectively a season ending injury.

There is absolutely no problem with Luke's development trajectory.

I can't see how anyone can call Luke's season excellent. He was a solid contributor for the most part, but at no point did he put together even one game you could call excellent.

I can't see how anyone can call Luke's season excellent. He was a solid contributor for the most part, but at no point did he put together even one game you could call excellent.
I guess it depends how you judge his performance in the position that he played. I can't think of any specific examples, but I remember thinking at the time in the immediate aftermath of the game that he had some excellent (yes, Dan) defensive performances for the position he was playing.

Hopefully he moves into the midfield next season and continues to improve.

Edit:It's semantics anyway. My main point is that I think that there's nothing wrong with Luke's development trajectory. He's been, if not excellent, pretty good so far and will hopefully improve further.

Has played some good games but he is yet to have a game which has made me stand up and go this kid is going to be an a-grader.

Not underselling his courage or love for the club. But considering how highly touted he was he has failed to live up to expectations, in my opinion. At this stage it looks like we've spent a first round pick on a role player, not a game breaker. However, that could change once he gets given a crack in the midfield if it actually happens.

Mills' first season has been considerably more consistent and impressive than anything Mcdonald has produced so far.

I think that says a lot about our develop more than anything.

Luke's role isn't even "lock down defender". Load of trash stinking up this thread.

What's his role then? He's a defender who doesn't really intercept and doesn't do a lot of rebounding. I wouldn't say he's a lock down defender but you can't call him a rebounder or an interceptor either.

Put me down as another person who'd like Luke to make the move into the Midfield. And I agree that I think we'll see him go up a notch if he does.

Either way, I think some posters are getting a bit carried away with the criticism here. I'm backing him into really surprise a few people next year.

And if he does, this thread will be so eminently bump-worthy, it'll start to resemble Studio 54.

Or a humble pie-eating contest.

Or a Robbie Tarrant thread.

Last edited:
Earned his spot completely in 2014

He needs to move into the midfield where he is less role player and more natural footballer. This has to happen this coming year

After a poor 2015, I agree this year he looked more comfortable and composed at the level - his defensive skills are very sound.

Hopefully a move into the midfield elevates his game to higher levels as people are expecting.

Again, I am not unhappy we have LMac instead of others, but i'm also hoping for significant improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, just when I thought I couldn't lubb Luke any more.

Other THFC fans among us? giantroo wishes he was. I reckon ArjenTheGreat is a closet yid as well. :thumbsu:
Unfortunately there are a lot more Gunners here than Spurs, and they all tend to be prolific posters/mods as well. I think I remember Arjen saying that he liked Pochettino though.

Has to play midfield all season, if we are serious about developing our youth. He has all the attributes to be a very good footballer.
He is one of the few young players on our list that I have no doubt will be a 200+ game player.
If only half our team had the ferocity & hunger he has shown so far...
Gonna be a ripper sooner rather than later... this year (next year) is his year

Unfortunately there are a lot more Gunners here than Spurs, and they all tend to be prolific posters/mods as well. I think I remember Arjen saying that he liked Pochettino though.
Arsenal are the Essendon of the EPL and every time I see a North fan supporting them, a little part of me dies inside.

Off topic, I'm not sure why, but seeing LMac and Garner holidaying together gives me good feels about the next few years.

He's a spurs fan, now I don't like him anymore.

#foreverblowingbubbles

Then why does he look so sad?

bubbles256.jpg

Arsenal are the Essendon of the EPL and every time I see a North fan supporting them, a little part of me dies inside.

Off topic, I'm not sure why, but seeing LMac and Garner holidaying together gives me good feels about the next few years.
Even worse, they're like Essendon if it had have been Essendon that were relocated to the Gold Coast.

First ever English football franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back