Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm buggered if I know, he was playing those positions when he was recruited and in the magoos. Thing is he can rest in defence or forward depending on matchups, much like a resting ruck.

I reckon the coaches are onto it though, he did get moved around in a couple of games and to reasonable effect, if he had the role and knew his resposibilities then I'd think he'd thrive.
He could do much of what you are saying from CHF as well, get up to the wings etc. Unleash the beast, I agree.

Bunching Noah in with CalLurch Zombie-Jones as a mere 'tall' is laughable. Balta has elite small man game. Very quick, unreal at grass level.

Thanks for the share.

Gee Dusty's 4th qtr goal was a brutal dagger to the pea heart of those pretenders.

Also liked Ellis' smile when he got on the end of a cheap one haha. We've missed him.

The other bonus of Balta forward is he could apply small forward type pressure also.
It’s a no brainer.
Agreed, would be very dangerous at ground level.
Also reckon he could be used in the midfield in a very similar way to Stringer. Can’t stand the flog but geez he was damaging with his size and strength for the Bumbers at the tail end of the season

Agreed, would be very dangerous at ground level.
Also reckon he could be used in the midfield in a very similar way to Stringer. Can’t stand the flog but geez he was damaging with his size and strength for the Bumbers at the tail end of the season

yeah he looked every bit a star the last 6 weeks of the season.
Balta the mid. Woweeee

yeah he looked every bit a star the last 6 weeks of the season.
Balta the mid. Woweeee
He is good around stoppages. Below is a quote from his profile on Draft Central.

"Balta is a versatile footballer, with some even predicting he could move into an inside midfielders role down the track"

The whole article below.

Noah Balta - Aussie Rules Draft Central

I wouldn't advocate him as an inside mid myself, but as a relief ruck and assisting in clearances I can definitely see some merit (think of a much better Grigg), he has shown it when given the opportunity in the past.

I think we’re missing a trick if he stays a lockdown defender, you can see now with this “stand” rubbish players are getting back and all the congestion just inside the arcs he could get the ball there quicker than the oppo can. So between the arcs he could be really damaging ...if he knows how to get the ball.
I’m not sure there’s a CHF position anymore but if he’s going to do something like it its going to take time for him to learn how to.
I’m not so sure he’s ever learnt a position before playing in the backline in vfl and then best 22.
He looks like coaches just used him to win games before he got to us.

I think we’re missing a trick if he stays a lockdown defender, you can see now with this “stand” rubbish players are getting back and all the congestion just inside the arcs he could get the ball there quicker than the oppo can. So between the arcs he could be really damaging ...if he knows how to get the ball.
I’m not sure there’s a CHF position anymore but if he’s going to do something like it its going to take time for him to learn how to.
I’m not so sure he’s ever learnt a position before playing in the backline in vfl and then best 22.
He looks like coaches just used him to win games before he got to us.
Go and have a look at his VFL highlights

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go and have a look at his VFL highlights
Yep he monstered some players and the game, I cant think of another player as big and as explosive.
Maybe Buddy for size and speed.
The way he plays when hes attacking itd lift the team.
Last year when they put him in the Ruck in the prelim against Port and forward something happened and it threw the oppo a bit.
The thing is if he lines up forward he’s not going to get a player whose level is second best defender at Vfl a really good player will pick him up.

Yep he monstered some players and the game, I cant think of another player as big and as explosive.
Last year when they put him in the Ruck in the prelim against Port and forward something happened and it threw the oppo a bit.
The thing is if he lines up forward he’s not going to get a player whose level is second best defender at Vfl a really good player will pick him up.
Got a couple of important clearances in that game too IIRC. We have a weapon in Balta, it's time to let him show what he's got.

If he does play forward then he'll more than likely have the 3rd or 4th best defender on him, if not then Lynch/Reiwoldt/Dusty will have that defender on them.

If he plays forward, either he or Jack will get the #3 defender.

What a problem to have?! A player who could be a weapon in multiple positions. Dimma loves players who can switch roles as the need provides. I still think we need Balta back. Playing CJ forward with Jack and Lynch just didn't work. We had too many similar players all getting int he way of each other and all struggling when the forwardline was flooded. As good as Balta is, he doesn't have the forward craft that either Lynch or Jack does. For mine, I'd rather leave Balta in our backline to continue his education as our most important backman, and move Caddy forward.

The other factor is, with our midfield in better health and strength, Dusty will once again be able to send the majority of game time down forward. This will make a huge difference, especially given the additional flooding we should expect to once again be used next year. If there is one thing Dusty thrives on, its finding space in congestion and breaking away from opponents to find a team mates or the goal.

Tarrant is with us for two years at best. We need Balta to take up the full responsibility of the backline and number one key defensive role when he leaves. If we throw Balta forward, to the wing or even into the ruck, we will only have to move him into the backline in two years, without two years to develop in the role.

Balta needs to keep learning in defense for his and our, long term team structure and success in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back