Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw that Dion is back at training after his bout of COVID. Any news on Noah?

i have little to no faith in Miller, I am happy to be proven wrong mind you, but nothing I have seen suggests he can carry any of his traits at the highest level and be overly effective.
I don't think we have seen enough of him to be able to judge one way or another. 8 VFL games in 2 years is not much of an indication.

One think he has, which was the one thing Broad and Grimes had at the start of their careers is speed and athleticism. You don't have to be high possession winners, Grimes and Broad haven't been across their careers. Do a job negating the athletic talls and he has done his job as it allows others to be more proactive. Plus do we really want to use Balta as a negating tall if we have another who can do the job. Balta has so many possibilities.

You'd have to say there hasn't been much focus. Key forwards are harder to find, most go high in the draft, most are a bit of a gamble.
It could be a trade next year, the draft next year is supposed to be more tall oriented than this year, but I think we need another forward regardless this year.

I am sort of glad we lost KKJ and Chol, because I don't think either were the answer. I think we have to play with what we have currently. If either Jack or Lynch gets injured, we have nobody. Hence I think we need to get some game time into another of our talls forward. Even if they train there this preseason as backup so they have some idea of the structures. And you never know, one of them might actually make a good go of it.
100% spot on. I pick Balta for the role because he looked so likely in the role before we were forced to play him back. He is also the logical choice because he has the right attributes both skills and physical for the role and he has experience 44 games and is ready to go.

What is the point playing Gibcus there, a zero gamer undersized and has failed the few times he has played forward as a junior. FFS i wish we would stop doing this, taking kids and trying to turn em into something they are not. Is it not well documented that after 2016 we decided to play our players in their best roles and bobs your uncle we won a bloody flag.

We could have simply resolved the whole issue by targeting vigorously a mature key forward as cover for injury either as a trade or in F/A. we could even have promised a rookie spot.

Two spring straight to mind Sam Skinner who P/A took as a delisted F/A and a player i was advocating for. At 197/94 just 24 and Afl experience coming off a great SANFL season after knee problems . This bloke if he didnt get a senior game would have at the least been really good for our reserves team.

The other Jeremy Finlayson 196/94 was traded to P/A for a miserly 2022 third rounder likely to be around pick 50. He came off a 23 goal season in just 13 games, is just 25 or 26 next year with 66 games behind him he would have been ideal cover.

Another one i liked was Schlensog a 21yo? utility who imo can play, and has done way more in state league than any of our juniors to date including Miller.

We did nothing at all to address what is as clear as the nose on your face, the total lack of development and depth with key forwards.
Failing to even look as far as i can tell and then to exacerbate the problem by overlooking kids in the draft. Im wondering just when it will be we decide its important to develop our own talls.

Look we are supposed to be challenging for a flag next year, well that is the vibe i get from all and sundry. So why would you go into a premiership challenge with just two ageing Key forwards on your list. It just doesnt make sense and if a flag is the aim then its poor list management imo.

Have a look at our closet two or three challengers

Melbourne

Jackson 20yo 199/100 - 30gms pick 3
JV-R 18yo 195/91 - 0 gms pick 19
Howes 18yo 191/ ?? - 0 gms pick 39
Wiedeman 24yo 195/94 - 49 gms Pick 9
B Brown 29yo 200/100 - 143gms
McDonald 29yo 194/99 - 291gms
M Brown 31yo 196/94 - 76 gms
M Daw 31yo 195/97 - 54gms

Development tall fwds, established forwards and a few veteran back ups in case they cop a few injuries and it wont be the end of world.They are at least giving themselves a chance and some time to develop their own.

Western B/Dogs

S Darcy 18yo 200?/??? - 0 gms pick 4?
J U-H 20yo 197/91 - 5 gms pick 1
Naughton 22yo 195/93 - 78gms pick 9
Schache 24yo 201/94 - 65gms pick 2. Put him here because until recently he played as a fwd and if need be could be thrown fwd again.
Cordy 25yo 195/92 - 104gms Might be a bit of a stretch but in their flag year he played fwd and did well. Again if needs arose has experince fwd
Bruce 29yo 198/97 - 150 gms

I reckon if you do the same exercise for every team we would be so far behind all of them in both numbers and development.

100% spot on. I pick Balta for the role because he looked so likely in the role before we were forced to play him back. He is also the logical choice because he has the right attributes both skills and physical for the role and he has experience 44 games and is ready to go.

What is the point playing Gibcus there, a zero gamer undersized and has failed the few times he has played forward as a junior. FFS i wish we would stop doing this, taking kids and trying to turn em into something they are not. Is it not well documented that after 2016 we decided to play our players in their best roles and bobs your uncle we won a bloody flag.

We could have simply resolved the whole issue by targeting vigorously a mature key forward as cover for injury either as a trade or in F/A. we could even have promised a rookie spot.

Two spring straight to mind Sam Skinner who P/A took as a delisted F/A and a player i was advocating for. At 197/94 just 24 and Afl experience coming off a great SANFL season after knee problems . This bloke if he didnt get a senior game would have at the least been really good for our reserves team.

The other Jeremy Finlayson 196/94 was traded to P/A for a miserly 2022 third rounder likely to be around pick 50. He came off a 23 goal season in just 13 games, is just 25 or 26 next year with 66 games behind him he would have been ideal cover.

Another one i liked was Schlensog a 21yo? utility who imo can play, and has done way more in state league than any of our juniors to date including Miller.

We did nothing at all to address what is as clear as the nose on your face, the total lack of development and depth with key forwards.
Failing to even look as far as i can tell and then to exacerbate the problem by overlooking kids in the draft. Im wondering just when it will be we decide its important to develop our own talls.

Look we are supposed to be challenging for a flag next year, well that is the vibe i get from all and sundry. So why would you go into a premiership challenge with just two ageing Key forwards on your list. It just doesnt make sense and if a flag is the aim then its poor list management imo.

Melbourne

Development tall fwds, established forwards and a few veteran back ups in case they cop a few injuries and it wont be the end of world.They are at least giving themselves a chance and some time to develop their own.

Western B/Dogs

Schache 24yo 201/94 - 65gms pick 2. Put him here because until recently he played as a fwd and if need be could be thrown fwd again.
Cordy 25yo 195/92 - 104gms Might be a bit of a stretch but in their flag year he played fwd and did well. Again if needs arose has experince fwd

I reckon if you do the same exercise for every team we would be so far behind all of them in both numbers and development.
Good post
The only thing I don’t agree with is Balta as a reliable fwd.
What I mean is when he’s playing well defending one on one it’s reacting to somebody else when he’s intercepting it’s be with the encouragement of the experience in the back 6.
When he’s thrown in the ruck as a pinch hitter and ruck rover it can throw the oppo and same when he’s thrown fwd as a roving HFF when they’ve planned for Lynch and Jack but it looks a lot like “go and get then ball” with Balta.
I dunno if he’s actually creative enough and disciplined enough to play with others as a group.
To me he looks like he only knows how to play as a defender without the ball he doesn’t know how to play fwd without the ball.
But having said all that I would like to see him get a few, I think he could be a great offensive player just maybe not a traditional position.

I personally believe that Miller will be just as effective foward as Chol was and might surprise a few
He has all the tools height , leap , speed , agility etc and was played as a foward as a junior so just makes sense to be the direct replacement with Chol gone

Next yers draft is Rich with very tall (196-200cm) Kpf and we will have a few to pick from and hopefully 1 of Lemmey , Keeler , Scully, Cockshell which i think will be a good get and available at around our pick
Be happy to try Miller forward, hopefully he can kick for goal if so!
But yeh 100% agree would not be any worse than Chol who was a cat.

Melbourne

Western B/Dogs

We overlooked schlesong in the mid season draft last year. Who ended up playing fwd too I think.
We had a very good look at Parker and retained him. Strange decisions Tarrant and gibcus IN when we have a surplus of KPD..... I know nothing John snow..

We overlooked schlesong in the mid season draft last year. Who ended up playing fwd too I think.
We had a very good look at Parker and retained him. Strange decisions Tarrant and gibcus IN when we have a surplus of KPD..... I know nothing John snow..
I really wanted Blake Schlensog in the mid season draft, I thought he would have made a good selection for a lot a lot of clubs but it’s interesting to see all clubs over look him in the midseason, national and rookie draft though.

Realistically Gibcus is going to take a couple of years to get ready, I think we’ll see a Balta/Tarrant partnership roll into a Balta/Gibcus partnership and that really excites me!

Good post
The only thing I don’t agree with is Balta as a reliable fwd.
What I mean is when he’s playing well defending one on one it’s reacting to somebody else when he’s intercepting it’s be with the encouragement of the experience in the back 6.
When he’s thrown in the ruck as a pinch hitter and ruck rover it can throw the oppo and same when he’s thrown fwd as a roving HFF when they’ve planned for Lynch and Jack but it looks a lot like “go and get then ball” with Balta.
I dunno if he’s actually creative enough and disciplined enough to play with others as a group.
To me he looks like he only knows how to play as a defender without the ball he doesn’t know how to play fwd without the ball.
But having said all that I would like to see him get a few, I think he could be a great offensive player just maybe not a traditional position.
We haven't seen Balta forward since his first year, so it is a bit hard to judge whether he can play there or not.

One thing is for sure, the brainstrust would surely be aware of our lack of quality talls, or just talls full stop and will be making plans for the coming season. That would have to include one or two of Balta, Biggy and Miller playing forward. Lose Lynch or Riewoldt or both even for a game or two and we have no other forwards.

Here's a bit of goss.

Noah's brother Patrick is training with our VFL side.

Spoiler alert: He's the tallest one in the photo.

That's all I have for now but I'll share more as it comes to hand - you'll see my track record when it comes to the Croatian boys.View attachment 1287969
And the best thing is he's only 11 years old in that photo

I guess the club is backing in the development of Ryan and Collina. With both Chol and CCJ gone, very likely we are going to see one of these two come in. We'll get plenty of vision with hopefully the VFL going every week next year and get a better idea of if they are ready. Ryan couldn't have a worse 2nd game.

Meantime, though, if Jack or Lunch go out early, Balta filling in there is definitely a good option. Doesn't mean that's his new position, just play a role. If neither Ryan or Collina step up though, it is an area of concern after next season. But if say Jack retires with another ageing star, there will be a good war chest to perhaps snag a ready made one (which means no Green trade!!)

Whether Balta spends any time as a ruck/forward next year probably comes down to how Ryan progresses too.

It's unlikely Soldo and Nank will play every game. If/when one of them gets injured, Ryan will probably be next in line, but if he's not ready to make the step up then Balta may have to move back into that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the club is backing in the development of Ryan and Collina. With both Chol and CCJ gone, very likely we are going to see one of these two come in. We'll get plenty of vision with hopefully the VFL going every week next year and get a better idea of if they are ready. Ryan couldn't have a worse 2nd game.

Meantime, though, if Jack or Lunch go out early, Balta filling in there is definitely a good option. Doesn't mean that's his new position, just play a role. If neither Ryan or Collina step up though, it is an area of concern after next season. But if say Jack retires with another ageing star, there will be a good war chest to perhaps snag a ready made one (which means no Green trade!!)
Ryan and Collina are both rucks. Ryan looks like he could play as a forward/ruck combo, but not predominantly as a forward.

I am not sure Collina is anything yet. So he could be made into a permanent forward. Has anyone seen him play?

Colina is still playing basketball for University of Hawaii-- won't be back in Australia until May/June, I doubt he'll play more than a couple of VFL games in 2022.

At 213cm it is very unlikely that he will be much chop off the deck. Not many forwards make as solely a marking target. Cox is probably the only one I can think of, and he is just hanging in there.
If he's got super sticky mitts, the ball's not hitting the deck ;) Could be a game changer!

But agree, with his height, ruck would be logical.

Reckon Balta will probably spend some of the preseason training with the forwards. It makes sense with the departure of CJ and Chol and the arrival of Tarrant (albeit Astbury’s replacement).
If Lynch or Reiwoldt are injured or rested then we need cover as you mentioned. Also has the agility to be a really dangerous 3rd tall, a tough match up in the air or on the ground

Here's a bit of goss.

Noah's brother Patrick is training with our VFL side.

Spoiler alert: He's the tallest one in the photo.

That's all I have for now but I'll share more as it comes to hand - you'll see my track record when it comes to the Croatian boys.View attachment 1287969
Sorry just re-read the text I got and it doesn't say "brother".

I must have just connected dots that weren't there - it's his cousin.
Bang.

13a3c9f6f3ca965d617b1489b171258c.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back