$217,727 Profit for year ending October 31st 2020

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Kebab gate didn't affect the overall financial performance of the club. It probably cost a staff position or 2. Which is always sad but I'm not dwelling on that. RFC has been fortunate to have huge membership which generates employment, and the women's footy teams have generated jobs. Overall the AFL looks like it has got through COVID OK. Initially, and for once Richmond has been at the top of the tree during tumult. We know what it's like to be at the bottom during expansion.
I hope everyone keeps membership up. Even if they change to a cheaper option. Keep the club as strong as possible, hopefully the boys have the desire for a couple more flags
Yep , we can’t rest until our equity position > 100mn and even that might have to be in some secret accounts as im Seeing a future where afl will be putting the acid on larger clubs to self fund , rightly or wrongly

Triggered opposition fans still complaining that we dumped our VFLW team but bragging about making a profit.

Morons must think it costs less than $200k to run the team if they think we could keep the team and still turn a profit.

How much did we get for winning the premiership?
Usually it's a mill isn't it?
While it's good to make a profit, there are still lots of things to work through.
Jobkeeper looks like it contributed to a lot of it.
also helps having 100,000 members whom most would have pledged the membership.
North broke even and I think another club also broke even.
will be interesting to see how all clubs fared.

While it's good to make a profit, there are still lots of things to work through.

The math is pretty promising (although damning for now):

COSTS
Footy Ops - down $4.8m (17%)
Gaming - down $2.4m (37%)
Merch - down $2m (22%)
Sponsorship and Corp - down $4.2m (56%)
Aligned Leisure/Richmond Institute - unchanged

INCOME
AFL - down $1.6m (13%)
Gaming - down $4.3m (63%)
Game day and merch - down $12.8m (40%)
Sponsorship and Corp - down $5m (31%)
Aligned Leisure/Richmond Institute - down $7m (28%)

Gaming: $560k profit to $1.4m loss
Aligned Leisure/Richmond Institute: $640k profit to $6.5m loss (not surprising with all gyms and pools closed for so long)
sponsorship: $8.95m contribution to $8m contribution

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Triggered opposition fans still complaining that we dumped our VFLW team but bragging about making a profit.

Morons must think it costs less than $200k to run the team if they think we could keep the team and still turn a profit.
That never had anything to with Profit/loss and everything to do with how we best spend our soft cap. Rightly or wrongly we’ve chosen to focus that spend on AFL , our primary business

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
The math is pretty promising (although damning for now):

COSTS
Footy Ops - down $4.8m (17%)
Gaming - down $2.4m (37%)
Merch - down $2m (22%)
Sponsorship and Corp - down $4.2m (56%)
Aligned Leisure/Richmond Institute - unchanged

INCOME
AFL - down $1.6m (13%)
Gaming - down $4.3m (63%)
Game day and merch - down $12.8m (40%)
Sponsorship and Corp - down $5m (31%)
Aligned Leisure/Richmond Institute - down $7m (28%)

Gaming: $560k profit to $1.4m loss
Aligned Leisure/Richmond Institute: $640k profit to $6.5m loss (not surprising with all gyms and pools closed for so long)
sponsorship: $8.95m contribution to $8m contribution
Fair balancing act that given the red ink in so many areas

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
The thing about the slippery afl dividend is it now appears fairly discretionary with no guaranteed base to min cover the TPP. this is what prompted a coalition of the bigger clubs coz city hall are now glancing at our books and squeezing the div while the battlers are gorging on extras req to keep them from being insolvent ,, interesting times and unfortunately the majority are very dependent on AFL subsidies to survive

11.4M in government grants last year - 10.8M was JobKeeper even though we had the means to pay it ourselves from our cash holdings - not sure what I think of this - but i guess every organisation would gave done it. I have one query looking at a 12.9M payment(s) that we made towards investments (I thought we were supposed to be tightening our belts?) I am going to question this at the AGM as to what this 12.9M payment actually was at this point i am guessing the leisure centers.

Could have two reasons perhaps - by no means in the know, but would not be surprised if they have something to do with Aligned Leisure. See to recall we may have some tiered payments, or they could simply be a timing issue and made prior to foreseeing anything about Covid19 and any apparent belt tightening.

Worth asking the question, but doubt there would be anything untoward about them.

Think it was wise to claim Jobkeeper, the Lib Government put it on the table after all. It was probably the most rushed and ill-conceived package of relief benefits I have ever witnessed in my lifetime and shows the lack of understanding by this government. That said, it is going to be a huge stimulus over time and whether it was done this way or a better way will simply be up for debate as time goes on.

Hopefully those who needed to be laid off can be approached when needed again. They too have made a huge contribution in their own way and should not be forgotten.

The Nett Profit represents a touch over $2 per member. Massive value for money for mine!

Last edited:
11.4M in government grants last year - 10.8M was JobKeeper even though we had the means to pay it ourselves from our cash holdings - not sure what I think of this - but i guess every organisation would gave done it. I have one query looking at a 12.9M payment(s) that we made towards investments (I thought we were supposed to be tightening our belts?) I am going to question this at the AGM as to what this 12.9M payment actually was at this point i am guessing the leisure centers.

Just a guess, but as you say, we had the cash to pay for those things ourselves.

I'd speculate that we were cashed up for further investments, presumably in Aligned Leisure, and when things went pear shaped, we put that cash into relatively safe short/medium term investments to park it until the time was right to buy/expand/invest as we'd intended...while also retaining the flexibility to adapt to a very fluid situation and put the money into our core activities if required..

That never had anything to with Profit/loss and everything to do with how we best spend our soft cap. Rightly or wrongly we’ve chosen to focus that spend on AFL , our primary business
My point is the club made the smallest of profits in a year where everything went wrong and people are out there saying, see you could have kept the VFLW program running, not realising that we could have made $10m profit and it wouldn't have mattered as it's all tied to the football cap limits.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
My point is the club made the smallest of profits in a year where everything went wrong and people are out there saying, see you could have kept the VFLW program running, not realising that we could have made $10m profit and it wouldn't have mattered as it's all tied to the football cap limits.
Oh ok, that’s right , it’s a shame and I feel that the afl have actually pulled the wrong lever here and instead provided incentives to clubs that want to invest ,rather than punitive measures to discourage it

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
I'm a proud Tiger.

Other clubs figures released yet?

Wouldn't mind seeing a profit ladder.

Back