Senior 22. Caleb Marchbank

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get this guy.

You're not supposed to get 21 possessions @ 86% (10 intercepts), 9 marks (3 contested) and 5 rebound 50s unless you are an upper echelon, absolute elite key defender.

You're only 20, man.
To be fair, he and Plowman are basically getting the easier jobs for a medium/tall defender and taking turns at chopping off high kicks with Docherty and Simpson.

Relies a bit on downfield pressure, but they're doing it very smartly.

To be fair, he and Plowman are basically getting the easier jobs and taking turns at chopping off high kicks with Docherty and Simpson.

Quite true.

Rowe and A. Silvagni taking the tougher lockdown roles is allowing Marchbank to hone his intercept and offensive ability.

He has work to do on launching offense by foot.

But he is seriously tremendous at reading the ball in flight and clunking it.

To be fair, he and Plowman are basically getting the easier jobs for a medium/tall defender and taking turns at chopping off high kicks with Docherty and Simpson.

Relies a bit on downfield pressure, but they're doing it very smartly.
AA numbers though

I was the first one to bring his name up as a possible target last year on the Talking Carlton forum despite steadfastly saying 'no' to using our first pick later in the year. Just thought I'd come on here and mention it to boost my ego a little.
There's been whispers since the 2015 trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yay you.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
87455-snoopy-dance-gif-wXM0.gif

Rance who!

:blueheart::blueheart::blueheart: Caleb!

He was drafted in 2014 and had a late date of birth, missed most of the last two years of development and is now only 20yo and getting his first real crack at AFL footy.
Rance was drafted in 2008 and took him till 2012-2013 to really start playing at an elite level, Marchbank is tracking to be much better then Rance.

There's been whispers since the 2015 trade period.
Can't say I remember them, lots of talk about Tomlinson and a few others but I thought the whispering re Marchbank started fairly early last year. I say this because my memories have a distinctly immediate quality to them and Marchbank was still under contract in 2016 and there was little chance he'd land at Carlton that year. I mentioned his name after he played reasonably well in round one that year, not much difference to Weitering's first game and only five games and one year's more experience.

While he no doubt benefits from the defensive structure, he's also part of why the structure works so well. He's reading of the play and intercept marks are fantastic and we seemed to have aimed to build a defense with a good structure and players who will be able to read and think through it well too.

has the NAB Rising Star winner ever been All Australian in the same year?
First time this year maybe

Not with this selection panel:-

Gill McLachlan, Mark Evans, Kevin Sheehan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson, Warren Tredrea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back