Senior 22. Caleb Marchbank

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there's a bit of recency bias in that (and rightfully so I guess as we haven't seen much of Marchy of late).

Marchbank is a more natural defender than Gov though. Go check out his highlights and you'll see what I mean. I think we all forget how good he actually is. He's a super talent and I stand by the fact he'll go past Gov as a defender IF he stays durable next year. That would allow Gov to move back forward where I think he impacts the scoreboard more than JSOS and is a better fit alongside McKay and Curnow.
Gov makes quick decisions with ball in hand. Marchbank, not so much.

Opposition teams often have time to set up behind the ball when Marchy takes a mark.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Opposition teams often have time to set up behind the ball when Marchy takes a mark.

That’s true. Marchbank plays tighter and concedes less though. Reads the play and positions better too. The better natural defender. I’ll give you speed of ball movement and better kick but as far as a defender, Marchy any day. It should be our half backs Saad, Williams, Doc who primarily set us up of half-back more so than our third tall.

Either way, happy for Marchbank and hope he has a ripper year next year. And Gov also. Both need some continuity to excel.

Wonderful news. Hopefully he gets a good run!! Set up very well for a big preseason off the back of playing the last couple of games.

That’s true. Marchbank plays tighter and concedes less though. Reads the play and positions better too. The better natural defender. I’ll give you speed of ball movement and better kick but as far as a defender, Marchy any day. It should be our half backs Saad, Williams, Doc who primarily set us up of half-back more so than our third tall.

Either way, happy for Marchbank and hope he has a ripper year next year. And Gov also. Both need some continuity to excel.
Glad to see he has another year after an absolute ‘mare with injury. Can seriously play. Maybe he and Gov will manage to stay fit and be a good contrasting pairing in defence.

We need some luck with perennially injured players if only Marchy ,Cunners Gov , Williams and Martin could complete a season anywhere close to their potential, our Seventieth would be very very close indeed.

Sounds like the next 50 years would’ve been amazing for us Carlton fans.

Ye i also rate Gov....Gov could still be an important part of the Blues in the next few years,has it all,pace,Elite mark,long kick.....has nous he can cover large areas going forward and running into defense as well
HAMMY.....if that operated on hammy will hold up till the end of his career then we have a win with Gov...[he is a team lifter ,does good things when pressure is on]

Marchbank has huge wraps with his high draft pick.....
does he look good?[bit under sized but ok].............has he had breakout games at Carlton /.....NO,but will he ?.....possibly NOT

he might be serviceable for a while and he is due some luck needing matchplay fitness over a decent period to give him a run at it .....i dont see him being an essential part of our setup.....nice intercept mark and nice runner covering the ground effortlessly however he hasnt done much actually and does look vunerable to injury which has been ongoing for him

if he was going to be elite or something special,we would already seen some of that by now, i just see a very good defender who looks good who gets injured a lot .....i think we are looking at a limited career at this stage for Mbank..

Last edited:
It's got to happen next year for Marchy or it won't happen.

If a genie could grant he and McGovern 20+ games each I'd love to see what would happen. I think collectively they are a lot of what's missing from our side, and could be the pieces to drive us right into the 8 or even top 4.

SUCH a big if with these guys, though.

Will have everything crossed he gets to show us his stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ye i also rate Gov....Gov could still be an important part of the Blues in the next few years,has it all,pace,Elite mark,long kick.....has nous he can cover large areas going forward and running into defense as well
HAMMY.....if that operated on hammy will hold up till the end of his career then we have a win with Gov...[he is a team lifter ,does good things when pressure is on]

Marchbank has huge wraps with his high draft pick.....
does he look good?[bit under sized but ok].............has he had breakout games at Carlton /.....NO,but will he ?.....possibly NOT

he might be serviceable for a while and he is due some luck needing matchplay fitness over a decent period to give him a run at it .....i dont see him being an essential part of our setup.....nice intercept mark and nice runner covering the ground effortlessly however he hasnt done much actually and does look vunerable to injury which has been ongoing for him

if he was going to be elite or something special,we would already seen some of that by now, i just see a very good defender who looks good who gets injured a lot .....i think we are looking at a limited career at this stage for Mbank..
think we've seen plenty from Marchbank that is elite....

It's got to happen next year for Marchy or it won't happen.

If a genie could grant he and McGovern 20+ games each I'd love to see what would happen. I think collectively they are a lot of what's missing from our side, and could be the pieces to drive us right into the 8 or even top 4.

SUCH a big if with these guys, though.

Will have everything crossed he gets to show us his stuff!
Can anyone that knows what they are talking about comment on whether physical durability can be attained with age. Ie muscles develop, harden up etc (clearly I'm not in this space!) and allow these guys a good go at it or are we just p*ssing into the wind hoping that things will change for Marchy and Gov next season. Marchy seems resolute in his prep and rehab yet continually breaks down. Can this I guess change with age or is it just a genetic predisposition.

I am not qualified to offer a medical opinion here

But a neck injury and acl are contact plus bad timing / wrong place injuries. Anyone can tear a meniscus.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back