Delisted #22: Irving Mosquito - Parts ways with the club, unable to return from injury - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty stupid to say we wasted a pick, he is exactly the sort of player we were screaming for in the elimination final so was actually an astute selection. I dont think any recruiter could predict that A) a player would do their ACL in their 4th game and B) a global pandemic would occur making it hard for him to see his family at the low point of rehab.

pretty stupid to say we wasted a pick, he is exactly the sort of player we were screaming for in the elimination final so was actually an astute selection. I dont think any recruiter could predict that A) a player would do their ACL in their 4th game and B) a global pandemic would occur making it hard for him to see his family at the low point of rehab.

to me he was a 4 game indigenous Mark Mercuri

I got very excited

But it wasn’t meant to be

the footy Gods are cruel sometimes

Bloody shame. Was looking forward to seeing what he would achieve. Hopefully he goes well post footy and finds more passion in whatever he decides to do next.

If they’d been a 2nd rd pick & had half the talent mozzie had & had cited to finish their careers at the first sign of adversity due to motivational grounds absolutely I would’ve.

What are you implying?

Was there a concern relating to his motivation prior to doing an ACL during a global pandemic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there a concern relating to his motivation prior to doing an ACL during a global pandemic?

I'd say he was a long way behind in his rehab and would have basically missed 2022. Add the home factor and family unable to visit him in Melbourne.

Sad to hear and i hope he doesn't go off the rails back in his hometown.

I'd say he was a long way behind in his rehab and would have basically missed 2022. Add the home factor and family unable to visit him in Melbourne.

Sad to hear and i hope he doesn't go off the rails back in his hometown.

Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to go off the rails, just think the demands of a professional sport whilst long-term injured and cut off from family wasn't for him.

Seemed happy enough when he was fit, will probably end up playing local footy up north is my guess.

Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to go off the rails, just think the demands of a professional sport whilst long-term injured and cut off from family wasn't for him.

Seemed happy enough when he was fit, will probably end up playing local footy up north is my guess.

Take a look at his Facebook, basically on the piss everyday

His brother/cousin plays with Waratahs in Darwin so no doubt in a few years he will make his way up North

Threw it away. Hope he never regrets it. Id find it hard to believe he won't one day though, when he's working a 9-5 job.
Sure it takes motivation and resilience to play AFL. But good luck in day to day life, if you can't muster that fortitude to play footy for a couple of million dollars for 5 years.

With his play and infectious smile and character, I think he would have been the AFLs new cult hero.
His career could have been something else.

Last edited:
Threw it away. Hope he never regrets it. Id find it hard to believe he won't one day though, when he's working a 9-5 job.
Sure it takes motivation and resilience to do that. But good luck in day to day life, if you can't muster that fortitude to play footy for a million dollars for 5 years.

With his play and infectious smile and character, I think he would have been the AFLs new cult hero.
His career could have been something else.

Motivation is a huge factor when your back is against the wall

Imagine being isolated in Melbourne without family and struggling to be motivated during rehab

Social media everyday talking to old mates back home would have added the fuel to return home and be amongst them

There was issues prior to the injury as well, in relation to professionalism with his training, and off-field behaviour. Doing his ACL, and not rehabbing at the club was probably just the final straw.

Hawthorn had a real good look at him for a few years through their academy, and didn't match the bid, which tells you a bit, clearly he could play but the development curve required was huge and probably not worth a second round pick.

Entertaining debut, and I'm glad he got to enjoy a win, hopefully he has no regrets and can enjoy the game at whatever level he chooses.

I think some of you get too sucked in by words.

Don't get caught up on an ACL being the issue. There is a very good chance a player suffers at least 1 injury that wipes out a lot of time. It seems to happen a lot early in careers with things like stress fractures and muscle tears. Multiple injuries can hit which collectively take out that time.

Ridley, Jones, Reid, Laverde and Redman all missed stacks of footy early due to injury.

It was a calculated risk at best because there were always problems with Mozzie's ability to transition into being a professional sportsman. He was already gone before his first contract ended, he told the club as much. It's not much good blaming injury. Remember Hawthorn had a pick in the 50s which it didn't use to match. Clearly they saw this coming and decided the risk, despite Mozzie's enormous talent, wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

Well it appears there was, so this ACL narrative is just a copout & papers over the fact he had commitment/motivational issues to his footy to begin with.

You don’t piss away 2nd picks on a throw at the stumps.

Well it appears there was now which makes selecting him in the 2nd rd even more ludicrous

At yes, hindsight drafting is the best, you get to know the future when assessing past decisions.

Did you know every club passed on drafting Fyfe too? Imagine being so incompetent that no club knew he'd become a dual Brownlow medallist.

Now, at the time of drafting did they know this, or are you being a hindsight hero?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back