Delisted #22: Irving Mosquito - Parts ways with the club, unable to return from injury - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you from a remote community in WA with a population of 3,000?

Have you been isolated from loved ones for nearly 2 years and currently trying to rehab a major, possibly career threatening injury while your teammates are in another state playing footy?

Easy to judge and make assumptions when your living in a totally different world to what he has
Do you consider Dimboola, Kaniva and Nhill as remote communities?

Its a waste of a great opportunity to set his life up. You get that right?
Playing professional sport might have set your life up.

But if all Mozzie really wants is to be with friends and family in his community doing the stuff they do money and status doesn’t actually help.. and may in fact make things harder.

So it isn’t a waste to walk away from
it.

You mean he's not cut out to work harder that it would take in local footy?
Most of us work in a job we hate, and in an environment we hate.
Not many of us can do it with the financial and success he had the opportunity have.
I don’t know where you live - but if it’s a big city it might be useful to think about what it would be like to move to a very remote part of Australia for 12 years of your life to get a well paying job that you don’t hate.

You’d be around a really unfamiliar culture, none of the things you’re used to doing on the weekends would be available, the land, the vibe, the people, the heat would all be totally foreign.

You’d get to come home for a weekend here or there and a month in October. All your friends would be getting on with their lives… jobs and marriages and kids. Your high school sweetheart would be off with some chump, your parents might be old and unwell or dead by the time you get back but you would have money and be set up for life.

Not sure any of that seems very easy or even worth it to me

Are they Indigenous Communities?

4 hours from a major city, wouldn't call it remote
Are we forgetting that Irving lived in Gippsland for a large part of his adult life or just skipping that one

Schooling term he would head back home

10 week stints ain't much to handle
I am pretty sure he was at the school for the whole year, because he played footy at one of the local clubs and i can't remember him missing many games and he also played cricket over the summer and didn't go missing for long patches

Why are so many getting stuck into him? He got injured and realised he didn't have the commitment or passion to make it at the top level. It happens. No need to get salty about it. Not everybody reaches the pinnacle of their career, and many have different priorities such as family that are more important.
Most of us are recognising just that - he didn't have the passion to work at the professional level required.
And also hope he doesn't end up regretting it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the point here, Gippsland isn't remote? When you're in lockdown, or trapped in another state the geographic distance of a place isn't relevant.
The bloke above was saying he was from a remote community but he had been doing his school in Gippsland which is far from remote

Why are so many getting stuck into him? He got injured and realised he didn't have the commitment or passion to make it at the top level. It happens. No need to get salty about it. Not everybody reaches the pinnacle of their career, and many have different priorities such as family that are more important.
Because gronks aren't unique to the Norf board. We have them here too and they post stupid s**t from time to time.

Another little back hander there.
Don't see how that's a backhander. When you have to live with regretting something pivotal in your life, you will understand the concern for others in potentially similar crossroads.

Don't see how that's a backhander. When you have to live with regretting something pivotal in your life, you will understand the concern for others in potentially similar crossroads.

You’ve spent half a page worth of posts telling everyone how wrong he is, how soft he is. Yeah it’s a backhander to say you hope he doesn’t regret it.

You’ve spent half a page worth of posts telling everyone how wrong he is, how soft he is. Yeah it’s a backhander to say you hope he doesn’t regret it.
That's not where I was coming from, but if you choose to see it that way then cool.
It is what it is. He had a huge amount of talent and decided to waste an AFL career for whatever reason. He's happy. And someone else will take his spot. Onwards.

I don’t know where you live - but if it’s a big city it might be useful to think about what it would be like to move to a very remote part of Australia for 12 years of your life to get a well paying job that you don’t hate.

You’d be around a really unfamiliar culture, none of the things you’re used to doing on the weekends would be available, the land, the vibe, the people, the heat would all be totally foreign.

You’d get to come home for a weekend here or there and a month in October. All your friends would be getting on with their lives… jobs and marriages and kids. Your high school sweetheart would be off with some chump, your parents might be old and unwell or dead by the time you get back but you would have money and be set up for life.

Not sure any of that seems very easy or even worth it to me

I worked with a guy who decided after year 12 to do remote work... I think it was an oil/gas rig, but might have been mining. He did it for around 6 years and then became a programmer. He said it was the hardest thing he'd done, being away from everyone he'd known in a remote location. He stuck with it for the money, which he said was insanely good, but the way he talked about it it was like a jail term.

It set him up really well financially, but I couldn't have done it. Puts things in perspective about how hard it is to move to a completely different environment that's extremely demanding.

Agree. Ablett the younger walked away because it wasn't for him. Some people don't want to commit themselves if they're not passionate about it, if they have other things more important to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back