Delisted #22: Irving Mosquito - Parts ways with the club, unable to return from injury - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I worked with a guy who decided after year 12 to do remote work... I think it was an oil/gas rig, but might have been mining. He did it for around 6 years and then became a programmer. He said it was the hardest thing he'd done, being away from everyone he'd known in a remote location. He stuck with it for the money, which he said was insanely good, but the way he talked about it it was like a jail term.

It set him up really well financially, but I couldn't have done it. Puts things in perspective about how hard it is to move to a completely different environment that's extremely demanding.

Agree. Ablett the younger walked away because it wasn't for him. Some people don't want to commit themselves if they're not passionate about it, if they have other things more important to them.
The big move for mining is a good parallel. Some people are up for it but I just could never have done that.

Irving knows now he was good enough I hope. Good stories for the future.

Oh, you mean a different heart than yours. Fair dinkum. He has made a decision on the basis of what he values. Time to say 'whatever floats your boat' and leave it alone.

bit hard to compare a regular bloke that grinds day to day to a footballer kissed on the dick throwing a potential multimillion dollar career down the drain, I can however say there isn’t much I wouldn’t do for that kind of money and I’d give my left nut to have the skill that this bloke has as most would.

bit hard to compare a regular bloke that grinds day to day to a footballer kissed on the dick throwing a potential multimillion dollar career down the drain, I can however say there isn’t much I wouldn’t do for that kind of money and I’d give my left nut to have the skill that this bloke has as most would.
Yep. So, what he values and what you value. Why do his values have to be the same as yours? Ah, they don't.

Yep. So, what he values and what you value. Why do his values have to be the same as yours? Ah, they don't.

Do not bother. Most do not understand the indigenous way of thinking and connection. Sure Mozz spent a number of years over here but he was always an outback WA kid. I could say I would have done anything to have an AFL career as well. In the end I put everything into making a bit of coin playing country footy. My cousin actually did have an opportunity to train with an AFL club but left after 2 weeks. He was simply not cut out for the city. Hated it. Even now 30 years later I know he has no regrets. Stayed in the bush and raised his young family amongst family and friends.
I am with you. It is annoying when people make comments about others situations without ever walking a mile in their shoes. Even though Mozz spent time in South Gippsland the step to AFL level and dealing with being in Melbourne and at the club 6 days a week is massive for a country kid. I know Walla still strugles a bit with that aspect.

* you post some absolute codswallop.

I'm a white guy from the suburbs who would put my happiness over that kind of money. I don't think I would enjoy a professional football environment, I'm not going to attempt judge someone from a remote indigenous community. Fair play that he gave it a shot, unfortunately it didn't work out for him or the club.

Its a shame but not everyone is cut out to be a professional footballer. That's why personality is taken into account by clubs and they consider how well kids will adapt to the professional environment. Its not just purely how talented you are.

I always find it a bit iffy when clubs bid on say another clubs father/son enough ahead that they aren't prepared to match. I mean face it, the other club has followed the kid for years, know their personality pretty well, what they're capable of etc. So if they think they aren't worth it even including the discount they receive, then it certainly makes it a bit of a lower percentage proposition. I'm sure its worked at some point but I doubt it works too often.

Its a shame but not everyone is cut out to be a professional footballer. That's why personality is taken into account by clubs and they consider how well kids will adapt to the professional environment. Its not just purely how talented you are.

I always find it a bit iffy when clubs bid on say another clubs father/son enough ahead that they aren't prepared to match. I mean face it, the other club has followed the kid for years, know their personality pretty well, what they're capable of etc. So if they think they aren't worth it even including the discount they receive, then it certainly makes it a bit of a lower percentage proposition. I'm sure its worked at some point but I doubt it works too often.
In this case matching the bid would have wiped out two later selections they had lined up .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back