Delisted #22: Irving Mosquito - Parts ways with the club, unable to return from injury - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

22 - Irving Mosquito.jpg

Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Round 16, 2020 (injured)
Injury Status: Has taken indefinite leave - 11/5
Ruptured ACL confirmed - 7/9
Serious-looking knee injury against Geelong - 6/9

Last edited:
Based on his game the other day it sounds like he’s best 22 already. With the likes of Baguley, Tippa and Fantasia being in our 6-7 worst players in both weeks the only thing keeping him out is an arbitrary perception of being not ready.

Nothing arbitrary about it, and it’s also not the only thing.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Remember when Francis came in and played great for a quarter before blowing up? I’d love to see Mossie but not yet.

A whole quarter from one of our small forwards would be great.

Paul_Barnard

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Watched him in the match simulation session yesterday.
Lightning quick and pretty clean but his final disposal at top speed is horrific. He is sometimes lucky to even get his foot to the ball which result in dribble kicks frequently..
Will be interesting to see his development, but the pressure he could potentially bring to the side would unbelievable..

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Watched him in the match simulation session yesterday.
Lightning quick and pretty clean but his final disposal at top speed is horrific. He is sometimes lucky to even get his foot to the ball which result in dribble kicks frequently..
Will be interesting to see his development, but the pressure he could potentially bring to the side would unbelievable..

This sounds almost identical to his game on the weekend. 3-4 moments where he zoomed into a pack of players with their head over the ball, clean pick up, and zoomed out before you knew what had happened. Incredible stuff - until he scrubbed the kick at the end most times.
Might be one of those cases where he doesn’t know how much time he’s got once he’s free, and has to learn to taking that steadying step or 2 before kicking.
Promising signs though.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Delivery by foot is meant to be one of his strong points... Reckon that ability to steady will come without too much bother as his spatial awareness improves and he adjusts to the tempo...

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Delivery by foot is meant to be one of his strong points... Reckon that ability to steady will come without too much bother as his spatial awareness improves and he adjusts to the tempo...
Agreed. The perception of pressure is everything. As well as through exposure at better levels this is helped by getting a stronger body and core - because you know that even if someone gets a hand on, you're still able to shrug them off - or at least stand up and get your kick or handball away. Once he becomes more confident in that regard we're more likely to see him take those steadying steps.

Cardio fitness is the other thing. Beyond a certain fatigue threshold disposal turns to mush. That's what the weekend's scrubby kicks looked like to me.

The bits that don't come simply by time in the system are genuine speed, agility, and natural ball handling. And Irving seems to have that no shortage of that stuff. Very very exciting.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Contrary to how it might seem, I don't enjoy being a wet blanket.

No doubt that Mosquito has shown that Cyril/Walters ability to enter alternate dimensions to avoid traffic but on form he is a mile away - but we've known that would be the case since day 1.

His whole games are the highlights. He's not playing high minutes and not particularly involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

No doubt that Mosquito has shown that Cyril/Walters ability to enter alternate dimensions to avoid traffic but on form he is a mile away - but we've known that would be the case since day 1.

His whole games are the highlights. He's not playing high minutes and not particularly involved.

13 touches from 55% game time is very productive from a small forward so I wouldn’t say not involved.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought he was brilliant in the first half yesterday.

It doesn't seem that we need the reminder but we should be very excited.

He is the "new Cyril" in every sense you could positively understand that phrase.

I wonder how much ground he is covering compared to Baguley in the AFL.

He might only be a few weeks away from playing AFL. Shitty time trials (which I assume were the case) and the original expectations/plans don't really mean much if he is tearing games apart.

He is the "new Cyril" in every sense you could positively understand that phrase.
oh damn, so youre massively overrating him then?

bugger, thought we had a player here.

Thought he was brilliant in the first half yesterday.

It doesn't seem that we need the reminder but we should be very excited.

I wonder how much ground he is covering compared to Baguley in the AFL.

He might only be a few weeks away from playing AFL. Shitty time trials (which I assume were the case) and the original expectations/plans don't really mean much if he is tearing games apart.

Gees big change in 2 weeks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back