Traded #22: Jake Carlisle - Pt.2 - Traded with some other stuff for pick 5, 24 and a Bird

Remove this Banner Ad

526809_3846291414612_2089060874_n.jpg

Welcome to Essendon, Jake Carlisle.

Draft profile, thanks to AFLDraftInfo.com:

Height: 197cm
Weight: 87kg
Preferred foot: Right foot
Position: CHB/CHF/FF
Potential: 7.5-8/10

Strengths
> Very good-excellent grab with great aerial presence, good attack, typically clean one grab hands and very good reading of the flight - reach advantage for his height – AL equivalent to a player a couple of cm taller (~200cm)
> Good leap and uses it consistently well in marking contests
> Very good kick (excellent for KP standards) – good-very good weighting and accuracy as well as good depth – unsure what his left foot is like?
> Good DM with the ball

Weaknesses

> Athletically (apart from his leap) he is below average – pace off the mark and lateral movement are OK at best for a KPP (a bit below average IMO – doesn’t seem to have any breakaway pace on long leads either), doesn’t have a great running capacity either - however there seems to be good scope to improve this area of his game given his rapid growth and likely limited exposure to pre-seasons.
> Is inconsistent within games and whilst did some good things in most-all the championships, his overall output was low

Other

> Decent mobility at ground level for a KPP
> It’s hard to get a good idea of his overall smarts as he seems to have a poor running capacity – he seems to read the play decently in both defence and attack (particularly defence), especially considering limited football experience, however as mentioned it doesn’t show to a great extent given he doesn’t possess a great running capacity and/or work-rate yet
> Very lean - he probably needs at least another 10-15kg of muscle
> I’m not sure what position suits him best, but I think he could play any of CHF/CHB/FF well and if he continues growing, quite possibly ruck
> Decent tackling ability in close but doesn’t have the pace to run down players or infer great pressure
> Has reportedly grown 22cm over the last 1.5 years and was concentrated on cricket in prior to this year – would suggest he is still be getting used to his body and – big scope for improvement both from both a football development and athleticism POV
> 2009 TAC Cup TOTY FB

Overall
Carlisle is very much a player that is being rated heavily on potential – however there is plenty of quality footballing ability to work with, it is mainly the athleticism that needs improvement - given the reports are correct it is very impressive how quickly he has adapted to the rapid growth in height and you would assume he will continue to adapt further as he matures – seems like there will be plenty of improvement still to come. He will probably take more time than most given he doesn't have a strong football grounding yet, but it will be very interesting to track his development and see what type of player he develops into. I think he is capable of at least develop into a serviceable tall utility, whilst at best he is capable of being a top 100 AFL player as a key defender and/or key forward. He is probably worth a mid to late 1st round pick.

[youtube]8OKDb_RRrWk[/youtube]
[youtube]qa9FGYpeegM[/youtube]

===============
Continued from Part 1:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-other-stuff-for-pick-5-24-and-a-bird.655840/

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake looks very nervous...and annoyed at dropping a bundle of cash.

Silly Bugger. Probably cost himself 6 figures as well. (EDIT: cost himself 50K )

I feel genuinely bad for him. He behaved pretty much exactly as you'd want a departing player to behave and not like a petulant child (ala Paddy Ryder).

I hope the (admittedly self inflicted) pressure doesn't result in him spiralling from bad to worse.
Yeah, he behaved excellently. It's not like he refused to tell the club on three separate occasions where he was going to be in the off season. It's not like he refused to attend post season exit interviews. It's not like he cost the club $2500 because he was so childish...

Silly Bugger. Probably cost himself 6 figures as well. (EDIT: cost himself 50K )

I feel genuinely bad for him. He behaved pretty much exactly as you'd want a departing player to behave and not like a petulant child (ala Paddy Ryder).

I hope the (admittedly self inflicted) pressure doesn't result in him spiralling from bad to worse.

Yeah, he behaved excellently. It's not like he refused to tell the club on three separate occasions where he was going to be in the off season. It's not like he refused to attend post season exit interviews. It's not like he cost the club $2500 because he was so childish...

Agree with scezza.

He acted like a petulant little s**t. He deserves everything he gets.

All of that had no meaningful impact on his trade value, which is which is what I was referring to when I said 'behaving exactly how you'd want a player leaving to behave.' No one is saying that he's the sharpest tool in the shed or candidate for good bloke of the year.

Agree with scezza.

He acted like a petulant little s**t. He deserves everything he gets.

No doubt he's got some issues that need addressing, but the behaviour that Scezz referenced was ultimately irrelevant in terms of his trade value.

He could've easily played the same card Ryder did, which would have resulted in us once again yielding to external pressure , but he didn't. From the outset, he refused to slag the club off despite being give many opportunities to do so. His management or him didn't bring the ASADA crap into this at all. He ruled out the PSD from the beginning. And finally when the Saints were dithering, and the Hawks made their offer, he signalled that he was open to that option rather than insisting on the Saints. All of which helped us. Ryder didn't do anything to help us. In fact, he actively screwed us.

Hence my soft spot for Carlisle.

All of that had no meaningful impact on his trade value, which is which is what I was referring to when I said 'behaving exactly how you'd want a player leaving to behave.' No one is saying that he's the sharpest tool in the shed or candidate for good bloke of the year.

No doubt he's got some issues that need addressing, but the behaviour that Scezz referenced was ultimately irrelevant in terms of his trade value.

He could've easily played the same card Ryder did, which would have resulted in us once again yielding to external pressure , but he didn't. From the outset, he refused to slag the club off despite being give many opportunities to do so. His management or him didn't bring the ASADA crap into this at all. He ruled out the PSD from the beginning. And finally when the Saints were dithering, and the Hawks made their offer, he signalled that he was open to that option rather than insisting on the Saints. All of which helped us. Ryder didn't do anything to help us. In fact, he actively screwed us.

Hence my soft spot for Carlisle.
Fair enough, in terms of allowing us to get fair value for him, he did the right thing. He was childish when he left the club though.

The Saints seem a tad upset that we facilitated a meeting between Jake and Clarkson (and possibly breached his privacy by giving his travel plans to the Hawks). I didn't think we had his travel plans because ASADA fined us for not providing them.

The Saints seem a tad upset that we facilitated a meeting between Jake and Clarkson (and possibly breached his privacy by giving his travel plans to the Hawks). I didn't think we had his travel plans because ASADA fined us for not providing them.

I wondered the same thing. One of those stories don't add up, and I'm thinking that it was the latter.

Perhaps that story has now been outed as a lie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I understand it the club located him during tradeweek via his manager.

Also lol at him being late for training. It'd be funny if all the extra s**t they're putting him through crushes him and he asks for a trade next year. Given all he's been through with ASAGA the poor guy probably just needed to let off some steam and they're treating him like a villain.

Biggest trade winners: EFC

Biggest trade loser: that poor, poor Parish kid :(

Thank you Clayton Oliver! May your 50 or so games of meh-ness be over quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back