Traded #22: Jake Carlisle - Pt.1 - Traded with some other stuff for pick 5, 24 and a Bird (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
526809_3846291414612_2089060874_n.jpg

Welcome to Essendon, Jake Carlisle.

Draft profile, thanks to AFLDraftInfo.com:

Height: 197cm
Weight: 87kg
Preferred foot: Right foot
Position: CHB/CHF/FF
Potential: 7.5-8/10

Strengths
> Very good-excellent grab with great aerial presence, good attack, typically clean one grab hands and very good reading of the flight - reach advantage for his height – AL equivalent to a player a couple of cm taller (~200cm)
> Good leap and uses it consistently well in marking contests
> Very good kick (excellent for KP standards) – good-very good weighting and accuracy as well as good depth – unsure what his left foot is like?
> Good DM with the ball

Weaknesses

> Athletically (apart from his leap) he is below average – pace off the mark and lateral movement are OK at best for a KPP (a bit below average IMO – doesn’t seem to have any breakaway pace on long leads either), doesn’t have a great running capacity either - however there seems to be good scope to improve this area of his game given his rapid growth and likely limited exposure to pre-seasons.
> Is inconsistent within games and whilst did some good things in most-all the championships, his overall output was low

Other

> Decent mobility at ground level for a KPP
> It’s hard to get a good idea of his overall smarts as he seems to have a poor running capacity – he seems to read the play decently in both defence and attack (particularly defence), especially considering limited football experience, however as mentioned it doesn’t show to a great extent given he doesn’t possess a great running capacity and/or work-rate yet
> Very lean - he probably needs at least another 10-15kg of muscle
> I’m not sure what position suits him best, but I think he could play any of CHF/CHB/FF well and if he continues growing, quite possibly ruck
> Decent tackling ability in close but doesn’t have the pace to run down players or infer great pressure
> Has reportedly grown 22cm over the last 1.5 years and was concentrated on cricket in prior to this year – would suggest he is still be getting used to his body and – big scope for improvement both from both a football development and athleticism POV
> 2009 TAC Cup TOTY FB

Overall
Carlisle is very much a player that is being rated heavily on potential – however there is plenty of quality footballing ability to work with, it is mainly the athleticism that needs improvement - given the reports are correct it is very impressive how quickly he has adapted to the rapid growth in height and you would assume he will continue to adapt further as he matures – seems like there will be plenty of improvement still to come. He will probably take more time than most given he doesn't have a strong football grounding yet, but it will be very interesting to track his development and see what type of player he develops into. I think he is capable of at least develop into a serviceable tall utility, whilst at best he is capable of being a top 100 AFL player as a key defender and/or key forward. He is probably worth a mid to late 1st round pick.

[youtube]8OKDb_RRrWk[/youtube]
[youtube]qa9FGYpeegM[/youtube]

Re: Jake Carlisle

Pick 24 Jake Carlisle 196cm 83kg Calder Cannons

With the draft restrictions in the next two years and question marks on Neagle and Gumbleton the club have done a really smart thing in drafting Carlisle. He is a player who I rated the third best tall in the draft and he can play at both ends.
It might sound a bit strange but he could possibly play a little next year despite him needing to build up in the upper body and being a bit on the lean side.
Like his fellow Cannon the smaller Jake, big Jake is also known for his work rate and reasonably good skills. He is a mobile player who has better than average pace but nothing out of the ordinary. He reads the play well at both ends and is very strong over head and possesses a pretty good leap.
Consistency wise he needs to do better. Often he does not find a lot of the ball and he seems to be a kid that needs to have a couple of possessions early to get the confidence going. When he gets going he really starts finding the ball and taking marks.
As a defender he is very solid. His good leap allows him to spoil well and when he is going well he can read the play well enough to start heading off his opponent. On the days where his confidence is a bit down he tends to stick to his defensive roles rather than taking the game on.

Kicking wise Jake is not too bad. Like a lot of the kids this year he can be a bit indifferent and have days where he can turn it over or kick poorly but most of the time he was in the 70% efficiency range and rarely did he drop below 55% efficiency. He can kick long distances but he can struggle for accuracy kicking at goal from more than 40 meters.
As mentioned earlier Carlisle is pretty mobile/athletic and his agility is good. For a big bloke he is pretty good at ground level and his pace off the mark is ok.

Now all of this sounds like he should have been a top 10 pick but the simple fact of consistent performances hurt him. He was ok for Vic metro at the champ series doing a few good things and playing at both ends of the ground but that was it. Played ok defensively but never really played up to his best level despite being a solid player and coming into the games at some stage with some very good play.
It was the same at TAC Cup level. He is a player that should have dominated games most weeks but seemed to lack the confidence to back himself and his ability and take the game on.
He will need to build up his upper body strength but if he can get his head around the fact that he could really make it as a 100 game plus player at AFL level and have an impact we should see something good.
Very smart decision not to forget picking a good KP prospect.
TAC Stats
14 games
Averages
Kicks 8.6 at 71% efficiency
Handball 6.7 at 85% efficiency
Disposals 15.3 at 77% efficiency
2.3 tackles
6.7 marks.

winderlich look-a-like

just had a look at some images on the afl website - genuinely believe jake carisle has the face of a young winderlich when he was about 14... can anyone else see what i am seeing?

Re: winderlich look-a-like

Yeah, I have to admit when I was looking through the photos of the most recent Bombers training session for a minute I thought Winders had grown his hair longer before I realised the guy in the photo was far too young to be Winders. Then I looked at the caption, saw Carlisle and thought "gee he looks like a young Winderlich".

Re: winderlich look-a-like

Let's hope he has winderlich's burning desire for success. A lot of our youngsters can look up to winderlich for inspiration. He's kind of like a Ramanaskaus in the way he's made his comeback... except coming back from cancer twice is a lot more difficult than a back injury.

Should teach our kids to really grasp their AFL opportunity by the balls now they've arrived at the elite level of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Jake Carlisle

Yeah I know it's a rather moot point but I can't help but think if cricket plays a mental factor on the kid. He was taken with our 2nd pick in the ND, so he definitely deserves to be treated as any other pick, but if he was taken with say the 2nd pick of the PSD then you'd think cricket would constantly be on his mind as to whether he should've stuck with that potential career choice.

May just have an adverse effect when focusing on his AFL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back