Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

How many tall forwards to play is interesting. I know Giants used to like 3. But moving towards 2. Port like their 3 talls. We have Lynch, JR.
Melbourne have McDonald and Brown. Ben Brown quick? Killing you with is speed? Not at all in my book. And the knock on Fritsch was his pace. His strength is marking and goal kicking. Caddy is about a cm shorter but also a great mark & goal kick. Exactly the same attributes. I don't know if Dimma can radically change game plans. I feel he will call 2021 Annus horriblus. We'll see I suppose. Maybe all our stars have great seasons and we can get back to finals. I don't expect much change from the selectors or game plan. Hopefully if we started delivering with precision to players rather than bombing it in we might find scoring easier. Kmac and Pickett are both average by foot. Maybe we need a different skilset on the wing. Parker was tried but doesn't bring enough. With a full list I wouldn't select Aarts/George anymore.
In the end I don't know how to quantify the effects of the stand rule. Swans in a couple of games carved us up with lots of short, accurate kicks.

Ben Brown may not be “quick” in an absolute sense but he’s quicker than his direct opponent. Lynch and JR are not.
Caddy is not (whoever he plays on). Fritsch, I take your point to a degree, but quick enough and slippery.
Agree with you on precision, it’s never been great. And stand rule has killed us, we need to work around that and I’m sure the brains trust are all over it.

Well despite all the talk (and hope for some :)) not a peep about Caddy moving or wanting to move.
It does feel very unusual.
About on a par with us seeming to show no interest in O'Meara or Mitchell.
With Chol and CCJ gone, it just feels wide open for Caddy to reclaim the spot he lost, which he always seemed best at, mainly a medium forward.
No one seems to rate him as a winger.
It also feels like he must have done something off field, to put himself out of favour with Dimma.

I seem to remember in his early days here, being played mostly forward, but saying he considered himself to be more a mid fielder, and had come to Richmond for that opportunity (I suppose he'll just have to console himself with at least 2 premierships :)).
It always sounded to me like Houli in his early days, saying he wanted to play wing, and that Dimma knew he wanted to play wing, but turned out he wasn't such a bad half back flanker.

I suppose we will all know where Caddy is really at, not too far into 2022.
Although maybe he will end up doing a Townsend (which would be ironic given the 2 didn't seem to get along that well...at least not early days).

I still reckon it was this haha

Certainly wasn’t the only time he gave away a costly free or 50
But you would think that dropping him for a game or so would be enough

About the quickest he's ever run .. and it still wasn't quick enough.
Gotta be one of the most frustrating players on our list
Has talent and decent footy iq but is such a ******* meat head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wouldn't have any player available if we dropped them for dumb frees.
Bolton, Vloss and Caddy are the 3 repeat offenders that annoy me the most
Tend to be the ones who get sucked in and double down and give away a 50

Like it or not he's staying. Give him 6-8 weeks straight up forward plus all of pre season. If he recaptures close to 2018 form fantastic. If not put a line through his name and only bring back for coverage when old man Riewoldt needs a rest or to not have to fly interstate against crap teams. People forget in 2018 he couldn't miss from any angle or even getting spun around by 2 blokes in a tackle. We need someone like Caddy who can make worms like lever accountable. Hell if Costanza can spud it up the entire season why not give caddy a real crack at getting to his best.

Like it or not he's staying. Give him 6-8 weeks straight up forward plus all of pre season. If he recaptures close to 2018 form fantastic. If not put a line through his name and only bring back for coverage when old man Riewoldt needs a rest or to not have to fly interstate against crap teams. People forget in 2018 he couldn't miss from any angle or even getting spun around by 2 blokes in a tackle. We need someone like Caddy who can make worms like lever accountable. Hell if Costanza can spud it up the entire season why not give caddy a real crack at getting to his best.

Agree with that last sentence re Castagna.
IMO, we need to get back to a best 22/picked on form make-up, none of this like for like garbage that people think we need to have.
Like not dropping Castagna as we have no other 'small' option. Well, pick a taller one who is going to contribute something.
It's what landed us success in 2017 in the first place.

IMO, we need to get back to a best 22/picked on form make-up, none of this like for like garbage that people think we need to have.
It's what landed us success in 2017 in the first place.

I completely agree with this. It really sh&^ me when we continued to play CJ last season in a desperate attempt to keep him at the expense of our setup. We need to return to awarding players based purely on form rather than reputation. If players have a rich vein of form at VFL level then they should definitely be given an opportunity but not just in a vein effort to keep them or because in the past, at their best, they were great. Just give games to those who deserve games - simple as that.

I completely agree with this. It really sh&^ me when we continued to play CJ last season in a desperate attempt to keep him at the expense of our setup. We need to return to awarding players based purely on form rather than reputation. If players have a rich vein of form at VFL level then they should definitely be given an opportunity but not just in a vein effort to keep them or because in the past, at their best, they were great. Just give games to those who deserve games - simple as that.

You've actually disagreed with him here? CCJ was picked on form instead of like-for-like?

Always thought we played our best footy in 17 and then in 19 when we had Caddy/Towna or Dusty in the forward half for long periods.

Melbourne showed the formula with Fritsch and Neal Bullen this year the medium sized forwards are keys. If Jack or Lynch didn't hit the scoreboard this year it was bust.

JR, Lynch with Caddy/Dusty rotating as 3rd FWD with Lambo, Edwards, Rioli Jnr, Baker and Stack rotating in there my preferred set up.

Always thought we played our best footy in 17 and then in 19 when we had Caddy/Towna or Dusty in the forward half for long periods.

Melbourne showed the formula with Fritsch and Neal Bullen this year the medium sized forwards are keys. If Jack or Lynch didn't hit the scoreboard this year it was bust.

JR, Lynch with Caddy/Dusty rotating as 3rd FWD with Lambo, Edwards, Rioli Jnr, Baker and Stack rotating in there my preferred set up.

better get used to Aarts and Castagna playing in there

I think Caddy is perfect to play that man up role in the forward line against a teams intercept back. Think Lever. He's a good mark, good mover for the role required of him. Can kick goals.

Intercept defenders are crucial in today's footy. He can play a role against them.

I've always felt he would be a good inside mid for us but I'm happy to put my hand up and say I don't think that will ever happen.

So forward line for him playing a role against a teams #1 intercept defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back