Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Not for the first time a lot being said re Caddy etc. does not correlate.
I mean we have people posting here, writing off Geelong, in part due to their weakened midfield??
Simple fact is all of Dangerfield, Selwood (as you would expect), Duncan, Cowan and Guthrie were preferred in the main midfield roles before this guy, but he's exactly what we need??
On that logic we won't be going past Geelong if one of our gun midfielders was fifth best for the Cats.
Don't get me wrong, the signs are there that Caddy will be a damn good player for us - personally I've never rated him all that highly outside his ability to hit the scoreboard (and truth be known a lot of people here singing his praises didn't rate him either, hence the outcry when a Lids for Caddy deal was bandied about).
Caddy is better than three quarters of our list already make no mistake.
I agree that Caddy is a bit of an unknown, how good is he, but with Selwood and Dangerfield doing so much grunt work, the outside class and run of Guthrie and Duncan was perhaps a better fit (although Cowan looks to have grunt). Also Caddy did kick goals at HF, so unless you were an insider at Geelong, we'll never really know his status as a player. The only thing that I know is we tried Moore and Townsend as the inside body, also Miles, and I reckon he's a good deal better than them.... I hope

Yes, because Disaster is like the proverbial kid in the candy shop - or more like Pavlov's canine.
He begins salivating as soon as he sees a post pop up with the name of ... Goldustt!!

Don't flatter yourself now.

Booker T was better...

7cf1163ffe1476cda9dc318da86b7178880dffc9b502ed340a8d7e117914e618.jpg

Not for the first time a lot being said re Caddy etc. does not correlate.
I mean we have people posting here, writing off Geelong, in part due to their weakened midfield??
Simple fact is all of Dangerfield, Selwood (as you would expect), Duncan, Cowan and Guthrie were preferred in the main midfield roles before this guy, but he's exactly what we need??
On that logic we won't be going past Geelong if one of our gun midfielders was fifth best for the Cats.
Don't get me wrong, the signs are there that Caddy will be a damn good player for us - personally I've never rated him all that highly outside his ability to hit the scoreboard (and truth be known a lot of people here singing his praises didn't rate him either, hence the outcry when a Lids for Caddy deal was bandied about).
Caddy is better than three quarters of our list already make no mistake.

Not true, he was simply the best forward of the lot of them (exc Danger)

Also they have 2 Elite inside mids, no knock on Caddy being 3rd Inside mid in line to Selwood and Danger.

Possibly.
I would argue Danger should have spent more time forward and I'll guarantee he does this year.
Whether that meant more midfield time for Caddy, I don't know.
Others seemed to be preferred.

Danger could kick 60+ goals if played out off FF IMO, freak.

I recall caddy being mostly in the midfield with stints up forward most of his Geelong career, it was only lastyear after returning from injury that he played a mostly half forward role with stints through the middle. I believe menagola took his spot while injured and impressed the coaches and myself as i got him in supercoach.

Caddy won't be our number one inside player anymore than he was a Geelong. Atm Prestia, Dusty and Cotchin are realistically in front of him. What we have that Geelong doesn't is a plethora of duel role midfielders that can play inside, outside and/or forward. Cotch is a prime example, as is Prestia. Dusty and Caddy can play midfield and forward and be equally damaging in both roles.

So while Caddy is not our Number One inside midfielder, the flow on effect that he will create by playing in the midfield and forward, will make him one of the most valuable players we have in our team in 2017!

On Josh Caddy

Bumped into an ex Maggies/Doggies drafter on Tuesday night at a school function. He had watched both JC and DP play for well over thirty games as juniors as well as a lot of their games afterwards .
He believes RFC supporters should really be excited as they've added two high quality footballers. Now he basically stated he couldn't speak highly enough on Caddy as he is everything a club needs. Great leadership, hard worker and will take a hit or crucify himself for the team. His biggest attributes on field is his ability to take a hit and open the game up for faster runners and he's so strong that he is rarely pinned , so he continues to move the ball on. This is his midfield assets , but the area he later told me was his forward work which is going to be his plus. Stated that with him in the forward line for ten minutes a quarter will outdo anything TV brought to the table in his 8 seasons. Stated that Josh is such a natural forward he actually plays a lot taller than he is with strong leads ,constantly moving around with high powered endurance, beautiful positioning of his arms and hands and multiple efforts and defensive pressure. He also mentioned that his disappointing finals series was due to a build up of niggling injuries at the wrong time of the year , but the coach wanted him to play.
Believes Jack and Rioli are going to be the biggest beneficiaries of him in the forward line and he will kick 30 goals on his ear if he gets sufficient time forward. A good smokey for SC and DT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Josh Caddy

Bumped into an ex Maggies/Doggies drafter on Tuesday night at a school function. He had watched both JC and DP play for well over thirty games as juniors as well as a lot of their games afterwards .
He believes RFC supporters should really be excited as they've added two high quality footballers. Now he basically stated he couldn't speak highly enough on Caddy as he is everything a club needs. Great leadership, hard worker and will take a hit or crucify himself for the team. His biggest attributes on field is his ability to take a hit and open the game up for faster runners and he's so strong that he is rarely pinned , so he continues to move the ball on. This is his midfield assets , but the area he later told me was his forward work which is going to be his plus. Stated that with him in the forward line for ten minutes a quarter will outdo anything TV brought to the table in his 8 seasons. Stated that Josh is such a natural forward he actually plays a lot taller than he is with strong leads ,constantly moving around with high powered endurance, beautiful positioning of his arms and hands and multiple efforts and defensive pressure. He also mentioned that his disappointing finals series was due to a build up of niggling injuries at the wrong time of the year , but the coach wanted him to play.
Believes Jack and Rioli are going to be the biggest beneficiaries of him in the forward line and he will kick 30 goals on his ear if he gets sufficient time forward. A good smokey for SC and DT.
Did you tell him how wrong he was, and set him straight that Caddy is a C-grader?

On Josh Caddy

That's a massive wrap. Love it.

Much said about dion?

On Josh Caddy

Definitely interesting.

On Josh Caddy

Impressive mate ... great info and even better t hear.
But as the Mayor of Negativiteville I have to find something downtrodden in your post.
I believe it's this ... Stated that with him in the forward line for ten minutes a quarter will outdo anything TV brought to the table in his 8 seasons.
Mrs Goldy has been going to the footy week in-week out now since about 1960 .... she could still give us 10 better minutes in the forward line at her age than TV. (;);)Guaranteed someone won't rcognose the sarcasm and have a crack at me).
But sounds we're on a winner. I've never been much impressed with Caddy having seen four or five Geelong games a year live with one of my best mates, but warming to him. I look forward ro seeing this all unfold. :thumbsu:

That's a massive wrap. Love it.

Much said about dion?
We chatted about Dion and it was basically everything people have stated in the DP thread.
He said if he's fit we will make the 8 in a stroll and if we don't then the issue is the FD unable to get the best out of players .He honestly believed that DH has now been given the best tools to work with in his entire career and is three years away from a flag. He's a cfc supporter and said our list way ahead of theirs and that our midfield is top 3 in the league. He rates us big time.

Impressive mate ... great info and even better t hear.
But as the Mayor of Negativiteville I have to find something downtrodden in your post.
I believe it's this ... Stated that with him in the forward line for ten minutes a quarter will outdo anything TV brought to the table in his 8 seasons.
Mrs Goldy has been going to the footy week in-week out now since about 1960 .... she could still give us 10 better minutes in the forward line at her age than TV. (;);)Guaranteed someone won't rcognose the sarcasm and have a crack at me).
But sounds we're on a winner. I've never been much impressed with Caddy having seen four or five Geelong games a year live with one of my best mates, but warming to him. I look forward ro seeing this all unfold. :thumbsu:
Yep . I ranked him poorly on a few games i'd seen him, so I'm impressed. I rate this guys opinion bc when i last spoke to him was when we got Miles and he said he would show a lot of blokes up at rfc ,but he's no A grader ,but the type of footballer you pick in your side for guts,hardness and leadership.
A very good B grader who will relish with extra support were his words on AMiles on Tuesday .

Last edited:
On Josh Caddy

So not a C grade plodder then ?

On Josh Caddy

I just hope this helps you realise that some of us, albeit only some, actually know what we are on about the majority of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back