Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just my opinion. He's adding leadership, smarts and strength.
If not him, who else?
It's just my opinion. He's adding leadership, smarts and strength.
If not him, who else?
He looks to be that Chaplin type general that organizes the young teammates around him , was his best game for us , 18p 6 involvements 1goal

I seem to remember Miles rising to prominence in the 2014 pre-season competition, as a rookie, and as a forward. And winning over Tigers fans in the process. It's a fallacy t say he can't go forward., He has before.

miles has added the goal kicking and forward ability to his bow. which was required as he was one dimensional

IMO

the anti miles brigade are ignorant extremists and i find them disgusting

It'll be interesting to see how Caddy develops for us from here. He's got the tools and experience. Just go to start sticking it together for whole games. In any case he is taking pressure off Cotch and Dusty. Which is worth a heap in any case.

miles has added the goal kicking and forward ability to his bow. which was required as he was one dimensional

IMO

the anti miles brigade are ignorant extremists and i find them disgusting
Disgusting, ignorant, extremist, it seems I am.
I and those with similar views are not anti-Miles, just at the moment he is not getting games because of the players he is competing with, Prestia, Lambert, Caddy, Grigg are playing his role. Miles is better at getting first hands on the ball than all of those, is about as fast as Caddy and is unlucky that Lambert has added tagging to his port-folio. But Prestia is better, Caddy plays as a medium forward, and Grigg had 9 inside 50's at the weekend and is our most consistent link up player. So yeah he is unlucky not to be getting a game. His time will come with an injury or two, but due to his one dimensionality he is not there yet. Next rainy day maybe.

I seem to remember Miles rising to prominence in the 2014 pre-season competition, as a rookie, and as a forward. And winning over Tigers fans in the process. It's a fallacy t say he can't go forward., He has before.

I am a fan of your posts for the most part, however I cant recall Miles ever being a forward? Sure, when he gets a shot on goal he usually kicks it, he is reliable but cant remember him ever playing as a forward

I am a fan of your posts for the most part, however I cant recall Miles ever being a forward? Sure, when he gets a shot on goal he usually kicks it, he is reliable but cant remember him ever playing as a forward
Forward of the center when he kicks for goal is the closest he's been...

Comparing Miles with Sam Mitchell, well now I've heard it all.... Anything you say after that jsut becomes irrelevant because ti proves you are coming from a biased point of view.

Caddy is going ok , he is doing what is asked of him and making other players better in the process. For all of Miles ball winning abilities, he rarely had an impact that allowed other players to prosper also.

Plus, most of Miles's possessions where short slow play type possessions, the exact opposite of what we are trying to play each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-24/caddy-saw-revival-coming-in-new-shack
RICHMOND recruit Josh Caddy could see his new club was on the cusp of a revival as he considered a move from Geelong last year, and he is grateful the club stuck with coach Damien Hardwick to see it out.

Caddy has reached each milestone of his career so far at different clubs, making his debut with Gold Coast, reaching his 50th game with Geelong, and he will play his 100th against Melbourne on Anzac Eve for his third club.

He was a surprise acquisition for Richmond during last year's NAB AFL Trade Period after being raised in talks over former Tiger Brett Deledio, and he has formed an instant bond with Hardwick.

The 24-year-old said he had viewed the Tigers positively as an opposition player and knew that off-season changes would get the club back on track in 2017.

"To be honest, I didn't think Richmond were on the verge of being the next premiership favourites," Caddy told AFL.com.au.

"But I did think if things changed up a little bit and with some fresh new faces, like Neil Balme coming into the club and a fewer other things, that we could have a successful year.

"I was probably a lot more optimistic than other people, and I think most players view Richmond a little bit differently than the public does and the media."

Caddy said he had been embraced by Hardwick after arriving as a key midfield recruit and was enjoying playing under the coach's new attacking game-plan.

Hardwick came under pressure during the club's horror 2016 season, but sticking with the eighth-year coach with a new support team has proved to be a smart move.

"Everyone loves playing for him and it's great the club stuck with him," Caddy said.

"It was obviously a really disappointing year last year and we know how volatile the AFL industry can be, but it shows the high regard people hold him in here after a disappointing year.

"He's got the boys back on track. It's only four rounds into a long season, but we've made some improvements and turned things around this year."

The new direction the Tigers have taken this season, with the players told to trust their instincts and attack with the ball, has resulted in a positive atmosphere at Punt Road Oval.

Caddy said there were similarities with his old club Geelong, from where assistant coach Blake Caracella also crossed at the end of last season.

"We've got a game-plan and we've got structures, but the coaching group has put a lot of trust in us players to back our instincts and go out and have a crack and have fun as well," he said.

"At the end of the day we just play footy and the reason we're at an AFL club is because we've shown talent.

"Sometimes you forget about that, and I think the best players in the game back themselves in and play on instinct and play to their strengths. That's why they're good players."

did a couple of good things ...... but looked way too slow at times, glad he kicked that goal at the end though!!!

Started poorly no doubt. However, his second half and second half of the second quarter were excellent.
He works through the midfield, chops out down back and continues to kick a goal a game.
Yes he is slow, but his work rate to get to contest to contest makes up for it. Was big today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early in the game he got out run to the ball twice where the Melbourne player started behind him. I thought he looked so slow, but happy to see him bounce back after that and really start to have a good influence on the game. By the end, I thought it was probably his best game for us. Hope he can keep building on it.

Still not doing quite enough for my liking - only because I rate him and think he can do better.

Smart footballer though. He's also clutch. That scoop pickup in the dying moments against the Pies? Clutch goal tonight to seal it. Similar at Geelong where he bobbed up in important moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back