Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Josh Caddy the big bodied midfielder that we're missing?

In 2015 with Geelong, Caddy played predominantly through the middle and in 19 games averaged

20.4 disposals
3.7 marks
5.6 tackles
5.1 clearances
10.3 contested possessions
5 score involvements

At 186cm and 88kg he could be that extra big bodied midfielder that we need around the contest. With Lynch coming in we don't necessarily need Caddy to play as the second marking option up forward and we could have the luxury of rotating Caddy and Dusty between the middle and F50.
I think he is but could be worth losing a few kgs of his muscle to gain some speed or work on his burst speed

After his performance on Friday night, he’s back at square one for mine. Barely has the aerobic capacity to cover enough ground in his forward role, let alone as a mid. Is one of a number of players who has benefited from our system and looked a bit better than he is. Really flat about this.

After his performance on Friday night, he’s back at square one for mine. Barely has the aerobic capacity to cover enough ground in his forward role, let alone as a mid. Is one of a number of players who has benefited from our system and looked a bit better than he is. Really flat about this.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Glad I'm not the only one.

We don’t know how many had the shits during the weeek.

100% agree he is the cream on top
When we are firing he'll bob up and kick 3
But when the heats on he looked slow as hell the
Pies defenders were running off him like he wasnt there , he got exposed with no space to lead into.

Plays a hell of a difficult role physically and I reckon it just took its toll on him towards the end. I know he was struggling with an issue about 5-6 weeks ago ,maybe still is.

Prime example of how many players can be made to look second rate by a dominant opponent.
George, Dusty, Rioli all ineffective up forward. Plus Caddy of course.
Another who lost his head and played un Richmond when real heat was applied. Eg on boundary next to point post tried a check side kick at goal. Million to one shot when he could’ve popped it to top of square. Where we had numbers.
Not on his own, but illustrates how things go pear shaped

Plays a hell of a difficult role physically and I reckon it just took its toll on him towards the end. I know he was struggling with an issue about 5-6 weeks ago ,maybe still is.

Funny you say that. The last few weeks went strangely pear shaped on the injury front for us even with the breaks. Graham shouldn't have been playing. Shoulder is bad. Then we had Butler and Lambert with foot operations. I watched Lambo the last 2 weeks at training and he may have been 75% at best. Dusty is hobbled by a nasty corky that bleeds into his knee. Astbury gets gastro 2 days before the game. Something went wrong this week with Broad too and it looked like we were managing Meatball right up to the end as well.

No excuses. Filth were way too good for us. Just saying we had a few issues to deal with the last few weeks that maybe weren't collectively apparent on the surface.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny you say that. The last few weeks went strangely pear shaped on the injury front for us even with the breaks. Graham shouldn't have been playing. Shoulder is bad. Then we had Butler and Lambert with foot operations. I watched Lambo the last 2 weeks at training and he may have been 75% at best. Dusty is hobbled by a nasty corky that bleeds into his knee. Astbury gets gastro 2 days before the game. Something went wrong this week with Broad too and it looked like we were managing Meatball right up to the end as well.

No excuses. Filth were way too good for us. Just saying we had a few issues to deal with the last few weeks that maybe weren't collectively apparent in the surface.
Had to happen eventually and tbh the more they all stayed for the longer it went the more concerning it became!

Prime example of how many players can be made to look second rate by a dominant opponent.
George, Dusty, Rioli all ineffective up forward. Plus Caddy of course.
Another who lost his head and played un Richmond when real heat was applied. Eg on boundary next to point post tried a check side kick at goal. Million to one shot when he could’ve popped it to top of square. Where we had numbers.
Not on his own, but illustrates how things go pear shaped
It’s the oldest thing in footy when it starts going awry the first instinct is players play for themselves.
God knows we seen seasons upon seasons of it.

Just desperately needs a tank. Is always chasing tail. When he is first to the ball, he gets caught within nanoseconds.

He won’t be leaning up. I remember when he was drafted I wondered how long he’d last unless he becane a forward which he has very effectively. He’s just built like a Caddy and it’s just natural so no more than midfield cameos I’m betting.

I think with Lynch coming in it would hurt if Caddy leaned up so he could play more time in the midfield. This is what he wanted when he came to the club. Can rotate with Dusty as the third tall.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yup
Has always said he wants to play more midfield well our coaches should be all over him this summer to trim and build exactly for this role.

Yup
Has always said he wants to play more midfield well our coaches should be all over him this summer to trim and build exactly for this role.
To play mid these days you need to get numbers like Sidebottom, aerobic beast, or be hard and explosive like Viney/Kelly/Cotchin. Don't think Caddy will ever be either so I can't see him midfield. 3rd tall forward still a chance using his smarts.

To play mid these days you need to get numbers like Sidebottom, aerobic beast, or be hard and explosive like Viney/Kelly/Cotchin. Don't think Caddy will ever be either so I can't see him midfield. 3rd tall forward still a chance using his smarts.
That's true but with Jack and Tom in the forward 50, we don't need Caddy getting in the way trying to fly over every pack for a big mark.

Will need to be coordinated well to work.

Yes he stunk it up in the PF, so did a number of players. 46 goals from a 186cm forward is an outstanding return, he plays well above his height and he is asked to be the second key forward, at 186cm... let that sink in and give credit to the fantastic role he has played for us.

He could use a bigger engine and drop a kg or two for greater running power, but I'm thrilled with the year he had.

That's true but with Jack and Tom in the forward 50, we don't need Caddy getting in the way trying to fly over every pack for a big mark.

Will need to be coordinated well to work.
To me that is the problem with Caddy's later part of the year, all forward pocket stuff, especially the flying for pack marks over the back. Worked once can't remember who against. Needs to get on his bike and move. Personally, I think me might struggle a bit unless he does as others have suggested and gains running power and adds another dimension to his game.

Yes he stunk it up in the PF, so did a number of players. 46 goals from a 186cm forward is an outstanding return, he plays well above his height and he is asked to be the second key forward, at 186cm... let that sink in and give credit to the fantastic role he has played for us.

He could use a bigger engine and drop a kg or two for greater running power, but I'm thrilled with the year he had.
I agree 46 goals is a great return. My concern is the most he has kicked before last yr was 21 goals in a yr and im asking was last yr an abberation or is it going to be the norm.

I thought his 2015 and 2016 seasons where he spent a substantial amount of time as a mid pretty decent. He went at 20 disposals a game both seasons but he won a fair bit of ball averaging 10 and 8 contested possesions each yr.in 2015 he averaged a very respectable 5 clearances a game as well as 5.5 tackles a game in 2015 i reckon he showed he can play midfield and i think he backed that up in 2016 even though that yr was not as good as 2015.

I dont think theres any doubt he can play in the midfield but imo he needs to be a contested beast which is exactly what we are after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back