Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey if the coaches can see him playing a new role then I’ll back them. Fact is the days of him playing as a permanent ‘tall’ are done. We’ve got Lynch and now gone down the path of a 2nd ruck fwd and seen the benefits, Caddy in the fwd line alongside 3 talls is not happening.
Let’s look at his strengths, he’s strong in the air, good footy iq, booming kick. Negatives he’s slowish and never played behind the ball at afl level. Will be interested to see how he plays in the new role, however, I don’t think he’ll be back this week

Cads forward role is almost redundant with jack and lynch , as mentioned earlier he hasnt helped by battling touch this year . Sounds to me they want to deploy him loose not indifferent to how Vlas plays , he could do that, no problem. We re putting players into roles at vfl so they are back ups ready to go , balta Defence, Oleg med forward , CCJ tall forward , and now cads in this swingman caper . Personally don’t see him back in yet , kmac will return prior likely for short
Why Short get dropped? one of our best the start of the season.

Bc his form now isn’t great?
He’s in the gun this week I feel
Agreed, I reckon Baker was better down back than Short last week.

Could persist with Baker and drop short for KMac IMO

Caddy has to get his fitness base up to a midfielders level and fast.

K-Mac a better option. Has size and more speed and is better offensively and defensively (everything except kicking goals - which Caddy is good at). As discussed earlier, Caddy just doesn't quite fit in as 3rd wheel in a 2-KPF setup.

I think he's good trade bait. The right setup (like Richmond in 2017) and he's fine. Just not us right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caddy is an A grade forward pocket player and l would play him up forwards with jack and Tom with all of them moving around. Why not, all his attributes suit the forward line and he can punish. Which is more than l can say for some.

Yep agree. Too good a player to not be in our afl team. Just that he's a forward. You don't kick 40 odd goals during the season if you are no good. People seem very quick to forget his output last year. He struggled early this year as the team had no structure with all the injuries. Now that we're relatively fit he deserves another chance in his rightful spot. No way does he get traded. Would give us a lot more than Chol up forward.

Canna wait till this big fat mean sheet truck is purring again up forward for us and kicking goals and harming the oppo!
His best work is done in the fwd line but with Lynch coming in & the need to play a back up ruck. . When Nank is fit will Dimma go back to the one ruck? If not one of Chol/Soldo are going to be getting a game, drifting fwd. Cadz is getting squeezed. We have Ross & Pickett to trial in the middle too. So a bit of heat on positions which is excellent compared to 2018. Of those that didn't play last night. Any of Nank, Cotch, Kmac, Ross, Stack would step right in. Pickett looks likely. And at a pinch we have Balta, Garth, Naish, Menadue, Markov CCJ played senior footy. Great work selectors. I think we move towards finals with tried depth.

Last edited:
His best work is done in the fwd line but with Lynch coming in & the need to play a back up ruck. . When Nank is fit will Dimma go back to the one ruck? If not one of Chol/Soldo are going to be getting a game, drifting fwd. Cadz is getting squeezed. We have Ross & Pickett to trial in the middle too. So a bit of heat on positions which is excellent compared to 2018. Of those that didn't play last night. Any of Nank, Cotch, Kmac, Ross, Stack would step right in. Pickett looks likely. And at a pinch we have Balta, Garth, Naish, Menadue, Markov CCJ played senior footy. Great work selectors. I think we move towards finals with tried depth.

Yep tend to agree.I don't mind players moving a few positions add depth and covers injuries.We all know Caddy best work is in the forward 50 interesting to see how he goes with Jack and Tom.

Thought Caddy was reasonable in his first crack at playing defensive wing role. 8 of his 13 disposals were intercept possessions equal second highest on the ground, which is what you want from your defensive wing and is exactly the reason why I thought he'd do well in that role. He is a smart footballer who as a forward knew where to position himself to be dangerous, so as a defensive wing he would know where to position himself to win the footy back. Will only get better in the role as he understands more about when to push back and when to attack.

As with Ellis people need to understand that our wingers aren't our main ball winners/carriers, they are the links up types who get the ball in space and get it into the hands of those who can do real damage with the footy.

He’s in such a weird position on the list. I’m certain he should be playing. But I have no idea where.
thought he was s**t in his new role

play him where he belongs or dont play him at all

If he's played on the wing he'll get Kmac numbers or less but not be as good

Playing for his spot in the side over the next few weeks. I actually thought he was ok the other night.
Forget about Cads as a permanent fwd in our current setup with 2 talls and 2 rucks - not going to happen as it unbalances the side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back